1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Newer Chassis under a 56 F-100

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 09:15 AM
Huntsman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1big79,
I agree that AX is firmly against a frame swap, as are many others who post here on a regular basis. They beleive it is not a practical alternative and promote the benefits of the tried and true straight axle and front clip mods. I agree that those are, under most circumastnaces, eaiser, less expensive and less time consuming options. But I continue to believe that a frame swap is do-able as long as you know what you’re getting yourself into and you have a plan to follow. I am going the frame swap route myself and have found it to be less of a problem than one would think, but it does present many challenges.

The problems most folk’s make against a swap are legitimate and should, at the least, be heard when someone is considering going this route. This community is about helping people and to know someone is headed for trouble, to sit back and say nothing, does not speak well for that member or the forum. Most folk’s mean well by their comments but some do at times, tend to go a little overboard in their efforts to promote their own beleifs.

Ax loves his straight axle and has made many statemnts in various posts letting us know that, I can't fault him for that. He has helped a lot of members with many other various problems. Stooping to a personal attack is not a solution to a problem, especially when many others around here have done the same with their rides.

What is needed is for you to be succeful in your frame swap and help dispel the myth that one has no other option, than what has been done in the past.

Good luck with your truck.

Old 01-25-2006, 12:35 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Huntsman is right. Show us your success. "If you build it, they will come." And we all play nice. No name calling or bigotry allowed. That is why we are the best Ford truck site anywhere! Jag

Old 01-25-2006, 04:31 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1big79
I would love to continue our little debate here but after taking a look at your profile, I have lost all respect for you as a Ford owner and refuse to converse with you. Ruining a ford with a chevrogay motor and owning ricers...shame on you.
IBig79, you got the wrong slant on things. Anyone who has encased his chevy motor with Ford Iron is half-way converted. In time he will cross over - sort of the way some people ease their way into the water rather than just jumping in. Ax is a good man standing waist deep in the pool! Someday he will jump all the way in.

Also, I love Ford trucks - but if I had to drive a car it would be a ricer.

I grew up with 4 wd, and use them a lot. One thing that is an article of faith among my Wyoming friends is that the height of a man's truck is inversely porportional to the length of his thing (family channel, remember) and his IQ.

There is a couple of the original high boys on the ranch, and it is a real pain to lift bales of hay into the box when we feed the cows. Frankly, standard height trucks mostly go just as far as the high-boys do - and when the snow gets deep enough for the height to matter it is better to use a tractor pulling a feed trailer anyway.

It is too bad you have such a closed mind about other people's trucks - you lose a lot of practical information that is available on this site, and the respect of your fellow posters.

Old 01-25-2006, 05:44 PM
merc546
Posting Guru
WillyB

I must have got lost in all of these post but who has the closed mind? It seems to me there are a lot of folks that fit that discription most likely me included when it comes to certain subjects but I do believe it is his truck and if he wants to raise it sky high thats his business.

By the way the other person bought his with the chevy engine installed

Chuck

Old 01-25-2006, 05:56 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Those "Ricers" have won two National autocross racing championships... They were selected for their ability to win races, not for the name on them. We happen to also drive what we race. Ford owns controlling interest in Mazda who built our Miata, and like it or not Rangers are rebadged Mazda trucks.
We bought gracie for her beauty of line and classic good looks not for the engine brand under her hood. I have a lack of respect for some one who wants to take one of OUR trucks and chop it up so he can run it into rocks and trees! I'm done with this topic now.
To the others, sorry I got off on a tangent, This all started with someone not liking the answer about it why it was a bad idea to attempt a chassis swap.

Last edited by AXracer; 01-25-2006 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:19 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by merc546
WillyB
who has the closed mind?
Chuck
"I have lost all respect for you as a Ford owner and refuse to converse with you."

Is that not a closed mind?

But enough said - I think the original question posted by the first poster has been answered.

To each his own - - -

Clint

Old 01-25-2006, 07:14 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Amen...nuff said.

Old 01-25-2006, 09:06 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
OK, boys and girls, Randy Jack hit it on the head.

I'm not going to close the thread immediately, but I am going to ask everybody to use whatever form of relaxation and or recreation they choose for at least four hours before coming back to post again. If the trend continues downward after that, I will lock the thread.

Old 01-25-2006, 09:58 PM
vanHoy
Senior User
Moderator's note: The original content of this post was substantially modified

Let's recap here:

[1] Thread lighted up with a comment about frame swap for those wanting 4WD;

[2] Things got off-topic and personal.

[3] The moderator threatens to lock the thread.

CONCLUSION: Can we get back to the original point of a civilized discussion of frame swapping? Can't the people who see red just hit the delete button on the thread rather than having the last word? My interest is in a frame swap and I want to continue a thread devoted to that subject.

BTW, my swap is coming along to MY satisfaction, and I truly appreciate the MANY guys of FTE who have asked questions and made useful comments. [NOTE: "Don't do it!" is NOT a useful comment!]

Respectfully, van

Last edited by Earl; 01-26-2006 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Condensed Content
Old 01-25-2006, 10:25 PM
redlightning
Senior User
I would like to a see a frame swap.I saw one on ebay maybe a year ago,I think they used a 96 ranger frame and interior with the four banger.It looked like they sectioned the firewall and floor onto the truck.I thought it looked fine.I saw another one with an 80,s f100 frame,it looked high off the ground.The first thing I thought was,if he made it a 4X4 it would look good.
The next one I do.I might consider a frame swap just to try it.I have two more cabs.This one is going to be orginal drive train.

Old 01-26-2006, 12:52 AM
herman.r
Junior User
I have done several frame swaps in 50's cars and trucks.You can't beat late model factory geometry.
Yes it is a lot of work but the end result has always been worth it for me.Except when I put a 78 Ford 4x4 truck frame under a 56 f100.The ride was horrible.I did not consider the difference in weight between the two trucks.At least 1000 LBS.I am currently considering doing another one though.I am one of those guys that goes to the salvage yard with a measuring tape.Nixer you were looking to build an AWD truck.Check out a late model Ford Explorer.It's the right weight,track width,and wheel base.111 in.Frame is fairly straight like the 53-56 F100 with a slight curv over the rear axle.Frame width is within 1 in.
Looks like a fairly easy swap.I will definately be doing one in the near future.
Ive actually almost finished my first ever original frame rebuild.Front and rear suspension,brakes,gas tank,etc.on my 56 M100.
Myself I find a frame swap easier.But we'll see how it handles when I'm done.

Old 01-26-2006, 01:02 AM
herman.r
Junior User
One more thing I forgot to mention.If memory serves me I think the Explorer also comes with rack and pinion steering.

Old 01-26-2006, 10:49 AM
vanHoy
Senior User
Herman, we need to talk, since I'm doing what you did and didn't like. I'll PM you.

--van

Old 01-26-2006, 12:24 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My earlier post was NOT intended to exclude anyone's viewpoint. It WAS intended to remind everyone that:

1. If you have something SPECIFIC to add to the discussion, post away.
2. If you don't have something SPECIFIC to say that contributes to the discussion about frame swaps, don't post.
3. If you've already expressed your opinion, leave it at that.
4. Comments about specific individuals and/or their vehicles that are NOT directly related to the current discussion are inappropriate.

The last four posts have been on-topic and constructive and that was my intention as the moderator of the discussion.

Last edited by Earl; 01-26-2006 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:54 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Everyone:
Reading back over the posts, I can see where I am guilty of instigating the heating up of this discussion with post # 49. That was not my intent, and I especially was not trying to disparage VH's project, just going by the fact he said that we were right in his previous post. I sincerely appologize to VH and anyone else here I may have offended.
I have no predjudice against 4WD, 2WD, FWD, front, rear, mid engine placements, alternate fuels, or whatever, I think that this hobby is about doing your own thing, building whatever makes YOU happy so I applaud those who sucessfully take a road less traveled. I am however concerned about people getting into projects that have little to no chance of success only to have have it end up as useless scrap or sold on ebay to some clueless individual who may go out and hurt himself or someone else and/or give the public perception of the hot rod hobby a black eye. I saw first hand how this hobby was nearly legislated out of existence several times in the last 30 or so years.
Just since I have been part of this forum I have seen a number of discussions of frame swaps yet no one has shown a sucessful example of one, much less documented the work/costs/comprimises that it required, the issues that came up and what solutions were used. When that happens and they can show that it was simpler, more economical, or had other strong advantages over transplanting a drive train and/or suspension to the stock frame (which has hundreds of sucessful examples available) while retaining the esthetics of the original truck, I will be one of the first to say "GOOD FOR YOU!".
I have a lot of hands on experience in most aspects of race car and hot rod building, and know firsthand what types of difficulties lie ahead in a frame swap therefore my advice to the novice looking for something quick/easy/cheap will still be "don't do it". The builders with the skills and knowlege to pull it off sucessfully don't need to ask for advice. To those builders I would say (paraphrasing Tom Cruise) "Show us the truck!" and how you did it. I too am genuinely very interested in seeing and hearing about it.

Quick Reply: Newer Chassis under a 56 F-100