Sponsored by:

New Excursion woes

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 07:32 PM
Btravelen
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Excursion woes

I just got home to N. IL (in a rental car!) from picking up my new 2wd 6.0L Excursion. This was a long distance, drawn out search and purchase of an existing vehicle on a dealers lot, since I was slow to make the decision to upgrade from our 2000 V10 2wd until it was too lateto order one. The V10 served us well, but I had wanted a bit more for towing and travelling that we do.

I picked it up in FL and was on my way home, when on I-75 near Tifton, GA, a sudden and severe vibration started and I had to pull over to the shoulder. The odometer was at 387 miles. I thought a tire blew, but they were all OK. Then I noticed the puddle of transmission fluid pouring from underneath. Ford Roadside assistance was called and it was flatbedded up the road to Griffen Ford in Tifton GA.

In the A.M. the transmission man put it on the hoist and found that the front U joint was missing a retainer clip and cap and had shifted, causing the vibration and subsequent bushing/ seal failure on the tailpiece of the trans. Now, it is possible that the clip was installed, and failed, but it seems more likely to me that it's also possible that it was never installed in the first place. (possible lack of interest on the assembly line of a discontinuing vehicle?) An installed and failed clip would likely have allowed a few more miles on it before it failed.

In the meantime, parts were checked on and determined to be non-existant. an X11 (?) order was placed on them with a possible procurement of next week sometime. As a result of my work schedule and needing to get back to it, a special request and approval for a rental car had to be obtained from the zone manager (?) because of the time and distance involved. This will involve a necessary return trip to pick up the vehicle after repair.

I hadn't even refueled once since picking it up! This is only the beginning, as I object to the cost (gas, lodging, etc.) involved with the return trip and will take it up with Ford on Monday! Wish me luck!

Old 10-02-2005, 08:36 AM
Kraut
Senior User
Given the circumstances.... I would call the "zone guy/gal" and insist that they have the car hauled to you (or a local dealer) upon completion of repair.

I worked at ford in a previous life...

a) It is completely unacceptable to have a vehicle suffer a catastrophic failure at 300+/- miles. Although it is easy to think differently, Ford does take an occurence such as your seriously. Unfortuneatly, as with many things in life, it takes talking to the right person, and it takes maintaining control, eventhough a total meltdown on your part WOULD be understandable. I just know that human nature doesn't repond well to answering the phone and hearing the equivalent of a drunken sailor at the other end. I am NOT implying that you behaved that way at all. I have seen much less issues get compensated BEYOND what is reasonable, and much WORSE circumstances being given the minimum, based solely on the dispopsition of the complaintant. Not trying to be a Dad here..... just trying to maximize your outcome.

b) It is NOT reasonable to ask you to drive half way across the US to retrieve a vehicle that needed 4+ days of work under warranty.

c) IF you ask right, and find the correct blend of politness and firmness, the haul should be approved as well.

d) Incidenal costs are also reasonable to ask for, although Ford is under NO obligation to do that, legally. From a customer satisfaction standpoint, however..........given the right approach, I think they will try to accomodate that issue somehow. It may be via an accessory voucher, or some other non-cash compensation. Indicate, indirectly, that you are open to that.

Sorry to hear about your failure. Best of luck... let us know how it turned out.

Last edited by Kraut; 10-02-2005 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:35 AM
ymmv
Senior User
I would underscore every word posted by "Kraut" above -- if you approach with the even temper you appear to have (based on your posts) then this will get easier. I've tried both ways. Option A is more effective. Good luck.

Old 10-04-2005, 01:51 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I let my wife handle these things. She hates it, but she is more on the honey side and I am more on the vinegar side.