Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-28-2005, 05:10 PM
New User

grubbs is starting off with a positive reputation.
COP problems on 5.4L Triton

I have a 2001 F150 SCREW with 135,000 miles. Today I just replaced my third coil. So far I have replaced the coils on cylinders 5 (sometime in 2003), 6 (this June), and 7 (today). The service manager of the local dealership says I should expect these kinds of failures given the mileage, but also says that I may or may not have to replace any more in the lifetime of the truck, it "just depends". I asked if replacing the boots or taking extra precautions to keep moisture away from the engine was warranted, he said "No, it's more a problem with buildup with heat in the engine compartment". Sounds like BS to me, seems like Ford should have been able to design for the expected heat environment.

I note from searching this forum a fair number of posts regarding replacement of COP's, but I can't tell from these posts if anyone thinks this is a result of poor design and/or faulty components, or if everyone accepts the frequency of coils needing replacement as just one of those things that comes with the territory. I'd like to know what the community thinks...

Also, has anyone else complained to Ford and gotten any kind of redress??
Old 09-28-2005, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
What brand spark plugs are you using?

Many report that not using original Motorcraft plugs makes their motors miss. Sometimes only on one cylinder at a time - so it looks like a COP problem. So, replace the COP, and the miss goes away. However, the real problem was the plug.

Just throwing that out there
'97 Cougar XR7 30th Anniv Edition 4.6L
'74 F250 Highboy FE390 deceased!
I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again. Just wait and see. ®
Old 09-29-2005, 08:39 AM
New User

grubbs is starting off with a positive reputation.
Never used anything but Motorcraft plugs, but thanks for the tip.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:24 PM
Post Fiend

FortyFords is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Well at that kind of mileage all boots should be replaced and make sure dielectric grease is used on new ones.If you look at one of the coils that you replaced what was the ohms measurement of it.I bet you would see a open or a very low resistance.
Inside the coil is a capacitor that goes bad.(high heat)this cause the misfire.
You should be thankful you haven't had a plug blow out.
Because when they blow out the wreck the threads in the head plus destroy the cop.
Chk all your boots
Rich
Old 09-29-2005, 10:24 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)

Tags
54, 54l, coil, cop, engines, ford, issues, moisture, ohms, plug, precautions, problems, replacement, triton, v8