2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.6L Performance mods...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 03:20 PM
db_tanker
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4.6L Performance mods...

Okay, the majority, it seems, has the 5.4 and the 4.6 is the less popular motor. Now I have the 4.6 and I am quite pleased with its performance, save for that nasty little bog that it produces when you romp on the accelerator. I know, Diablo or SC tuner will solve that problem.

What I WOULD like to see, more than the 4.6 and 5.4 forum, is somthing with some ideas as to make these smaller displacment motors scoot a bit more.

I know the exhaust doesn't respond to being true duals, that you need to stick to cat-backs...etc etc...

What I would like to see is a specific repository for the 4.6 and one for the 5.4...of course, I also know that its easier to wish in one hand, deficate in the other, and see which one fills up first.

Just my .02 cents worth.

D

Old 09-27-2005, 08:18 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are getting a bog, check into reflashing. Bog is common on 5.4, not the 4.6.

I have the AIM Brute Force, the Diablo (sold my Superchips) and a Magnaflow catback.
Decent combo, I find.

For the most improvment it's the shift settings in the tuners. For most drivers the best bang for the buck for these is a K&N, then just change the muffler without bothering with the big nice looking tail pipe, as the stock pipe is pretty big for a 4.6. And of course the tuner.

Do the usual three things and run on premium gas and the truck is downright lively.
Of course, that's in a reg cab.
The 4.6 wouldn't be much fun in a four wheel drive supercrew. Weight matters.

I think if you could find a cheap swap rear end, going to the common 3.73 rear from the stock rear 3.55 would also be a nice increase for little money. If it didn't cost between 500-700 to change the gears over, just a gear increase would be nice. If you stay with stock tires, a 4.10 would add a bit of punch.
Chris