Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Truck will start but has no power

Old 09-27-2005, 01:08 PM
dougplace
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck will start but has no power

I need some help. I have 2001 F250 4X4 PSD 7.3L. The engine will start and idle normally, I can drive about a mile and it begins to running very roughly and produces alot of blue smoke. If I shut it off want a minute or two it will crank back up but runs very roughly, loud pinging and the truck will do about 15mph with the pedel to the floor. If I wait 20 or 30 mins. it will run normally for about a mile again.
I have replaced the inline fuel pump and the fuel filter. Do you have any suggestions?

Old 09-27-2005, 02:54 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 778 Likes on 594 Posts
Sounds like a failed injector o-ring to me.

Old 09-27-2005, 03:18 PM
dougplace
New User
Question about failed injector o-ring

would it be one of the individual injector o-ring? is so how would I find out which one it is?

Old 09-27-2005, 05:54 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by dougplace
would it be one of the individual injector o-ring? is so how would I find out which one it is?
Other than one by one, disabling each injector and watching for smoke, the best course of action is to just replace them all. If one is gone, the rest are sure to follow soon anyway.

Old 09-27-2005, 09:28 PM
ceopi
Junior User
Mine is doing the same thing...I am going to replace the TCP in the morning.. I was told that was my problem...I will let you know how it turns out..

Old 09-29-2005, 03:07 PM
bkeese
Cross-Country
Well, mine is doing the same thing. After a while it will start and the problem goes away. It is some how related to the engine temperature. The engine starts fine, a minute or two later, runs rough and eventually dies. Hard to start, lots of smoke, starts and dies and finially starts and blows out and then is fine until the next time it is cold, as in coas cold as it gets in the summer. It is something electronic, it sort of clicks on and then clicks off and is gone. I do have codes P0683 - Glow plug/heater module comm problem (this code came up long before this problem and didn't cause the issue and P1212 - Inj. control press lower than expected (engine cranking).

Has anyone fixed this problem?

Old 09-29-2005, 07:05 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by bkeese
Well, mine is doing the same thing. After a while it will start and the problem goes away. It is some how related to the engine temperature. The engine starts fine, a minute or two later, runs rough and eventually dies. Hard to start, lots of smoke, starts and dies and finially starts and blows out and then is fine until the next time it is cold, as in coas cold as it gets in the summer. It is something electronic, it sort of clicks on and then clicks off and is gone. I do have codes P0683 - Glow plug/heater module comm problem (this code came up long before this problem and didn't cause the issue and P1212 - Inj. control press lower than expected (engine cranking).

Has anyone fixed this problem?
My first suspicion is a worn out IPR valve on the bottom of the HPOP.
Injector Pressure Regulator
High Pressure Oil Pump.

Old 09-29-2005, 07:38 PM
ceopi
Junior User
I changed the ICP on mine and no change ....

Old 09-29-2005, 10:11 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by ceopi
I changed the ICP on mine and no change ....
Well, that's good that you have a nice new sensor. What I'm thinking is the solinoid that is controlled by the ECU, based on readings that are obtained from the ICP. If the IPR has a torn o-ring then it's impossible for the HPOP to maintain pressure, hence the huge loss of power. Just enough HPOP to make it idle and nothing more. You can remove it from the HPOP, dissassemble it and examine it so it costs you nothing. Just a messy clean up from the oil that drained out of the hole.
Beyond that, I can't help you as I've never done the job myself. Good luck.

Old 09-30-2005, 05:57 AM
ceopi
Junior User
If the IPR O-ring was bad wouldn't it leak oil...Or does it just drain back into the engine...Can I get a IPR valve from a auto parts store or is it a dealer only part..Thanks

Old 09-30-2005, 07:21 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
It uses little tiny o-rings inside so no external leaks.
I've never had to source one myself. I know that you can get an o-ring kit for it somewhere, or the whole unit.

Old 10-03-2005, 11:38 AM
bkeese
Cross-Country
You know there is at least 5 guys claiming this same problem. I think it must be electrical, because mine starts and stops like flipping a switch. The engine is loading up, like a stuck float on a carberator. Once it stops, it takes a few seconds to clean up and it produces a ton of smoke. Something is flooding the engine. Any thoughts?

Old 10-06-2005, 03:14 PM
ceopi
Junior User
Just had mine looked at and the wires in the valve cover gasket are shorting out the injectors on the left side..I am replacing them this weekend so I will let you know..

Old 10-24-2005, 08:09 AM
dougplace
New User
Smile Found the problem with f250 7.3l with no power

There is a filter in the fuel tank. My was completely plugged up with trash.
The my dealer worked on the truck for two weeks and still could not solve the problem. Out of pure curiosity I removed the fuel tank. Inside I found a filter(which the dealer said was not there)I cleaned the filter and the problem solved. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/newreply.php

Old 10-24-2005, 08:13 AM
bkeese
Cross-Country
Mine was also a fuel filter. The smoke was from a lean mixture.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truck will start but has no power