6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

why

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 01:30 PM
caveman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The reason they are changing from the 6.0 to a new engine is because of new emissions laws. I think the tourqueshift is better than the allison. Cummins have their share of problems. My 6.0 has been trouble free. And as far as why people here bash dodge....just look at them.

Old 10-31-2005, 02:39 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by caveman
The reason they are changing from the 6.0 to a new engine is because of new emissions laws. I think the tourqueshift is better than the allison. Cummins have their share of problems. My 6.0 has been trouble free. And as far as why people here bash dodge....just look at them.
While the mechanical parts of the Torqshift may not appear to be as "beefy" as the Allison's by appearance, the overall torque management and hydraulic operation of the Torqshift is by far, superior.

Old 10-31-2005, 09:23 PM
handyman43358
Postmaster
Now I wouldnt say that caveman. I think Dodge has had a great lookin truck for years. The brand new dodge's are by far the best looking truck in my opinion since ford's 79 f series lineup. I mean like I said before, I love Ford and all, but go to a truck pull. I have many many friends who buy the Dodges just for the cummins. One of my friends has made his 01 Dodge with the 24V cummins crank out 486HP and 889 Ft/lbs of torque. Another is runnin around 550HP and crankin out well over 1200 Ft/lbs. I mean I would take an inline over a 90 degree engine any day, gas or diesel. You can get 500,000 out of a cummins before a rebuild, you can get 350,000 miles easy out of fords old 300 (seen it done many times) and my ranger, although it is an inline 4, still has 308,000 miles.

Im not being critical to Ford or Dodge for that matter. They all have their ups and downs. I guess being raised on a farm, I've just always liked inline engines (Since every tractor I own is an inline.) I just wish IH would throw the DT466 into the Ford. 7.7 liters of nothin but inline power.

Old 10-31-2005, 11:09 PM
Firemanhoser
New User
I don't know how many of my friends are waiting for ford to go inline. Why not?

Old 10-31-2005, 11:27 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Firemanhoser
I don't know how many of my friends are waiting for ford to go inline. Why not?
Because the V-8 design can be just as efficient, reliable, and powerful with a much broader usable powerband

Old 10-31-2005, 11:30 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Welcome to FTE Firemanhoser.

Old 11-01-2005, 05:25 PM
handyman43358
Postmaster
I trust an inline over a V-8 anyday personally. Im not arguing with anyone here, just gettin my opinion heard. I like discussions like this because it can make you think different. But anyways, an inline 6 has 2 less cylinders of course, less valves that can fail. I believe that a cummins has 30% fewer parts than a stroker or duramax.

Im not saying that cummins are better. I'm surrounded by old strokers in my area. One had either 3 injectors fail or the pump failed and its been running on 5 cylinders for about a year now. I'm convinced that engine wont die. The turbo doesn't even spool up due to the failure of the injectors.

Old 11-01-2005, 05:46 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by handyman43358
Im not saying that cummins are better. I'm surrounded by old strokers in my area. One had either 3 injectors fail or the pump failed and its been running on 5 cylinders for about a year now. I'm convinced that engine wont die. The turbo doesn't even spool up due to the failure of the injectors.
I know all about running on 5 cylinders Even with no oil and coolant

Old 11-01-2005, 05:55 PM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
How the hell were you running on anything with no oil??

Old 11-30-2005, 12:14 AM
mhannink
Senior User
Originally Posted by hercules130
I don't know why you guys bash dodge trucks, i just bought one (last march)and the quality is outstanding. no shakes, rattles or trim peices falling off. the truck has been flawless and i love the 6 speed. i do wish the cummins were louder, but what can you do. i had every intention of buying a ford, but after driving the dodge, there was know way i would get the ford. i could write a page on why i wouldn't get the ford (for my needs) but i don't want to bore you all with that.
u where pretty brave to stick ur neck out and say that. the only thing i can say is i agree 100% w/ u i like ford always have always will but they just don't have an engine that will perform as well as the cummins and the trucks yeah feel aprat in 89-93 when they had the first gen but after that 94-02 for the second gen and 03-prestent for the third gen there have been no problems w/ the truck and the motor has performed the same since the first one in 89 ya'll can bash dodge all u want thats fine but im telling u untill u drive one and look at one and own one u will just be jealous that dodge is better then ur beloved ford and before ya'll come down on me for it go drive one and then go drive a stock gm and ford and tell me what u think after that

Old 11-30-2005, 05:36 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mhannink
but im telling u untill u drive one
I have, I was honestly unimpressed. It wasn't a bad truck by any means - its just that I have driven vehicles that genuinely suited my needs better (and they happened to have a blue oval on the front).
and look at one and own one
I don't think I could ever own one.
People claim of the superior reliability of the Cummins, explaining that its like an OTR tractor engine - I could count the amount of guys I know that run Cummins engines in thier OTR rigs around here (2 if you are interested - both run them as they were the first engines to get above 600hp here).
We are probably the hardest nation in the world on engines in OTR trucks (no weight limit, no trailer limit, no speed limit, some of the hottest temps in the world)

u will just be jealous that dodge is better then ur beloved ford
As I mentioned, I have driven a Dodge, and I am certainly am not "jealous" of those people that drive them (which is few around here, as Dodge doesn't appear to have the confidence to retail them in our rigorous market).
I do hope you enjoy your Dodge, and it does you well - because I have been real happy with my Fords.

Old 11-30-2005, 09:05 AM
Customz
Postmaster
manic is a troll, lets not feed him.

I too have driven all three and been stuck with a chrylser for a week and i think they are rattleboxes. The ford is the best built of the 3 and I'll give interior comfort to chevy. there is nothing redeeming about a dodge.

Old 11-30-2005, 11:12 AM
motivationteam
Freshman User
I just sold my 99 Dodge for a 2005 Ford. They are both capable trucks but the Ford is nicer end of story.

Old 11-30-2005, 04:06 PM
firesoutmatt
Posting Guru
This is a Ford site if I remember right so why come in and talk crap about Ford. I don't go into the Dodge site and talk crap about them.Get a Life and go hug your stupid Dodge I love my Ford .................

Old 11-30-2005, 04:36 PM
handyman43358
Postmaster
Yes this is a Ford site but its interesting to see the views of different people.

I'm sure this fella has a life, so don't bash him for expressing his opinion. We're all entitled to our own.

I will give you my opinion since I'm allowed to. I drove an 05 super duty last night. I was impressed. The whistle of the turbo was very nice, although some people might not like that due to the fact that it is quite loud in the cab, but thats the price you pay for gettin a diesel right? It shifted nice also. I particularly like the quickness and the feeling of the firm shifts.

I haven't ridden in a brand spankin new Dodge, the newest I've ridden in was an 03 with the 6 speed. It was also very impressive. Break neck acceleration and the sound of the cummins was very nice. I have ridden in NUMEROUS pre 2001 Dodges with the cummins and I love them. I love the sound of that inline pumpin out the horses and they were comfortable yet to boot.

As far as the GM's, I rode in an 04 DRW 4x4 with the dirty I mean duramax and I was not that impressed. I would honestly like to put that thing on the dyno and see what exactly it had in the horsepower and torque department.

Heres my overall opinion. Dodge has probably the best diesel, but the worst tranny. Ever. Ford has a damn good engine and a damn good tranny. Chevrolet has an engine that I have a hard time trusting, since it's only been around since like what? 01? 02? But on the flip side, they've got a transmission thats been true to all its users.

So I hope that this doesn't make me lifeless for having my own opinion.

Oh and BTW, I am a die hard Ford truck person. You can't beat them. But if it came down to buying a bigger truck, I'd definately do some background research and massive amounts of test driving before I spent $50,000 on one.

Quick Reply: why