1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

56 Rear Drum Brake Spring

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 09:55 PM
martydread
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
56 Rear Drum Brake Spring

Looking for the spring that goes on the parking brake link between the primary shoe and the parking brake link. I see it in the shop manual, but it's just called "spring" and I can't find it in any aftermarket catalogs—forget my east coast parts stores.

Mine were in 3 pieces when I inspected the brakes and the spring seems to be rectangular/oval rather than cylindrical. Is this true or are mine just really beat up?

Anyone know where to get 'em or do you justt get something close? From another Make/Model, etc?

Old 09-24-2005, 12:59 AM
Jacques
Freshman User
If my memory serves right, the spring is included in a brake rebuild hardware kit, I used Napa Auto Parts #2247. I am pretty sure that spring is included, but I'd hate to swear to it. It wouldn't take long to pop open the box at the parts counter & check to ensure it's in there. The spring is definately oval/square & is not in 3 pieces, I can attest to that for sure. It was very cool to find that the same brake parts were used from about 1948 through 1967 (give or take a few years either way). This allowed me to install auto brake adjusters, just had to buy the rebuild kits & install them. I just tried Napa Auto Parts online[img]chrome://targetalert/content/skin/new.png[/img], but their surver is down for maintenance. Raybestos online catalog doesn[pt carry the hardware kits. However, Raybestos[img]chrome://targetalert/content/skin/new.png[/img]
has a pretty good reference site for looking up brake parts, be sure to pick ford truck, as they list parts seperately from ford. If you have a pretty good auto parts house near you, drop in & take a look at their parts numbers/years covered, quite cool to see the same parts used for lots of years.
Regards,
Jon

Old 09-24-2005, 10:10 AM
martydread
Freshman User
Thanks Jon, I got a rebuild parts kit from Mac's already but it didn't inlcude that spring, I'll check Napa online because I don't think there are any Napa stores in my area. I wish there was since I see Napa all over the forums...

I figured it shouldn't be in 3 pieces, just trying to illustrate how beat up my brakes were, and I found so many "rigged" things on my truck I didn't want to assume the spring was oval/square. The P.O. could have just put a smashed up spring in there because that's what he had lying around...
Thanks again,
Marty