1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Ford consumer affairs

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 05:55 AM
djctoll
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford consumer affairs

Does any one have any numbers for complaint dept or getting problems resolved the dealership is into me for 1900 dollars and 98 ranger still missing out done tune up decontaminated gas and tank fuel pump replaced new computer timing belt now did some wiring checks don't know what all else so I don't know what to do really don't want to take it back need help. Being a female with no idea on repairs doesn't help

Old 09-23-2005, 07:04 AM
D-ranged2.5
Senior User
First things first... calm down and punctuate! The Consumer Relationship Center is probably what you're looking for. 1-800-392-FORD.

I'm not really sure what is going on with your truck, but perhaps we can help you sort things out? I am not sure how much you want to understand your truck, but there are a lot of really good resources on this site so there's a lot of potential for you. Being female doesn't mean you can't know, it just means you have to work harder to get the grease out from under your nails... Anyway, I'm also a girl and I've taken on a number of repairs/maintenance with my truck. So don't feel too intimidated or anything, you definitely shouldn't. If you have any questions about anything, just ask!

Old 09-23-2005, 07:22 AM
'04 4.0 XLT
Senior User
Agreed. Try to explain your problems a little more clearly, and maybe we can help. This site is a great resource, and there are some very friendly and knowledgeable folks here...

Getting shafted from mechanics is one of my biggest pet peeves. A little knowledge can save you a lot of bucks.

Last edited by '04 4.0 XLT; 09-23-2005 at 07:26 AM.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:39 AM
djctoll
New User
I have explained this is the site that has helped but the dealership is the problem they are just changing parts and hoping they hit the problem missing out comp not showing problem. 8/30 They did a tune up changed fuel filter cleaned battery $349.87 said it was fixed. 9/9 took in doing same thing. Replaced fuel pump and sock decontaminated gas and tank $502.05. I had them service manual transmission and cooling system service because I was told it was fixed $168.02. 9/15 back in with same problem replaced pcm $360.00. I had them replace timing belt they said it was needed 101000 miles so I said ok.274.08. 9/26 took it in with same problem They started missing with wiring had it 3 day told me to drive it they felt it was fixed last night 9/29 doing same thing plus now the air doesn't work finally started working on max. They are keeping the bill open I am not taking it back 98 with 100000 miles no problems till now I would of traded it in but have so much money in it now don't know what to do. So yes I am hot I fell there are no mechanics just tech's and if the computer doesn't tell them it is fine it did do it for them so they know it has a problem but not knolegable enough to fix I have told them thing that have been told to me on this board but to no avail. Sorry but $1900 dollars and no closer to being fixed has got me agrivated.I loved my ranger till now

Old 09-23-2005, 07:46 AM
djctoll
New User
I don't feel there are any more mechanics working at dealerships they are all techs and the computer is there book Most of the work they did was before they figured out the computer didn't work I asked them to check that. So maybe I should send them a bill for consultation They unpluged something and the check engine light didn't come on posted all problems but anyway that is when the changed out the computer $244 total so far $1900 still doing same thing plus now problems with the air.

Old 09-23-2005, 07:52 AM
D-ranged2.5
Senior User
So wait... what's the truck doing that they keep trying to fix? I don't recall you describing a problem with your truck, just a bunch of flighty service guys at a dealership. I really wish dealers weren't so shady, but that's how they've earned the nickname "stealership"... Personally, I think your first mistake was going to the dealer at all. It's hard to find a good mechanic anyway, but a dealership will cost probably 3 times what you'd pay a normal mechanic. I hope the Consumer Relationship Center can help you get some money back for the work done already on your truck! But you know, if you give us a problem description, we might be able to help you diagnose your own vehicle and fix it yourself. It feels silly to describe the behavior of your vehicle sometimes, I know, but the description doesn't have to sound pretty, just a good observation.

Old 09-23-2005, 08:03 AM
'04 4.0 XLT
Senior User
I did a search of her previous posts to find her description of the problem. But since it sounds like she's already up to her eyeballs in bills trying to take it in to a dealer, I'll address that.

Ok. First off, I wouldn't sink another dime into the truck at that dealer. I would call them up, SPEAK DIRECTLY TO THE MANAGER, and tell them flat out, "Hey, I've had my truck into your shop 4 times, and the truck still isn't fixed. I paid a lot of money to have the problem fixed and it isn't. You are obviously mis-diagnosing the problem. Either get this thing fixed AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, or I'm going elsewhere, and you'll be hearing from the Better Business Bureau." That should inspire a sense of urgency. If they tell you they can't help you, do exactly that. When the other shop fixes it, you take that bill back to the dealer and try to make them pay it. If they laugh at you again, call the Better Business Bureau and see if they can help. You could even pursue legal action against them.

That's WAY too much money to not have the problem fixed.

By the way, I agree 110% with what D-Ranged said, too. Dealerships suck, and I avoid them if at all possible. They're way overpriced, and I trust them less than a local shop, any day. Take it to a local shop if the dealership won't "help" you.

Oh, and most importantly, DON'T BACK DOWN. Be persistant, and insist. Don't let them try to tack on ANY additional expense. You've already paid too much.

Good Luck!

Last edited by '04 4.0 XLT; 09-23-2005 at 08:17 AM.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:12 AM
djctoll
New User
It started missing out like when you first learn how to shift gears it jerks but I know how to shift gears that is why when they said the fuel pump it is like its not getting gas then it clears up so I don't know. It has only done it for them once they say but it doesn't do it all the time. I really do not want to take it back to them. They didn't charge me yet for the last time but they just said to drive it and let them know the bill was left open so now if it is something electrical $1900 worth of repairs not needed. I live in small town and dealership is 25 miles away so really no mechanic that doesn't have a waiting list of a month and I checked tune up prices and ford was comparable with one mech I called Ford has always given me a car to drive I just feel they don't know what they are doing so don't know guess I will try consumer afairs

Old 09-23-2005, 08:21 AM
D-ranged2.5
Senior User
You said it was a manual transmission, right? Does it "buck" when you shift, like if you drop it in to the wrong gear? Sounds like that is what you're talking about. My truck is starting to shift a little rougher ('01, 108,000 miles) but it's not really bad so I have ignored it since it doesn't seem to be a big problem. Or does it do the jerking thing when you press the gas pedal in to try to accelerate?

It's possible the guys at the dealership didn't do any testing, that they just tried to address some of the symptoms you described without actually checking into the problem. Dealers give cars such a bad reputation!! I'll bet if we had more honest mechanics working for dealers, we'd have a lot less broken-down cars and a lot more satisfied customers!

Old 09-23-2005, 08:53 AM
djctoll
New User
It doesn't do it when I am shifting it does it when I am driving down the highway but that is what it does like it is not getting gas I don't think there are any mechanics working at dealerships they are tech that do wht the parts say or what the computer says I talked to consumer affairs my only option is to take it back to the dealership and let them try to rectify the problem they are going to contact the dealership and voice the complaint but I really don't think I am taking it back I guess I will swallow the money and get another vehicle

Old 09-23-2005, 09:16 AM
D-ranged2.5
Senior User
It could be a fuel problem, or maybe a spark plug problem. They can test for those before replacing parts, which it looks like they did just to appease you and get you to go home.

Don't take it back to that dealer yet! Call the Ford people and the Better Business Bureau. Notify each that you're talking with the other. Ford has been working to try to improve dealer relations with women (believe me, I've read the horror stories of employees and customers alike and some dealers are just nasty) so if this is indeed an issue of them doing random things to your truck and charging you for them, somebody will probably be fired. Rightly so. Gather your receipts (hopefully they've itemized the charges for you) and go over what each says. Make sure you're clear with what was replaced and what was just "worked on". Hopefully you can get them to refund the labor at least... Anyway, you should never have to put up with people like this and events like this drive people from Ford products all the time, which is something that is obviously important to the company. Don't just give up on this because it's probably not just you. Call whoever you have to call, let me know if you don't get anywhere and I'll see what other resources I can dig up.

If nothing else, perhaps you could negotiate between the dealer, Ford, and the BBB to get them to give you credit toward a new vehicle from the dealership for the money you've spent on your current vehicle. If somehow that works, once you leave that dealer lot, never go back. Ever. Good luck!

Old 09-23-2005, 09:33 AM
djctoll
New User
I called ford consumer affairs told them my problem since it is not under warrenty I have to deal with the dealership is what they told me. I told them my only option was an atorney or the bbb. They told me either way I would probably have to take it back to dealership to let the rectify the problem. I can take it to another ford dealership but they will probably not honor what the other dealership has done other than warrenty on parts but rediagnois and go from there. They (ford consumer affairs) will file a complaint at the dealership so I am waiting on them to call me (the dealership here) I really don't want them to touch my truck again the have proven there knowledge to me which is notta. They also said if I got an attorney I would probably have to take it to dealership to rectify the problem. Right now I am ready to sell ford stock close ford money market and get rid of ford truck. The info I have given you is what ford consumer affairs gave me. Next to the BBB there is no report so don't know if they do not belong can't beleive no one has filed a complaint since I have heard nothing good about dealership since my problems begain they just do not do buisness other than buy ford take somewhere else to do repairs wish I knew this $1900 ago.

Old 09-23-2005, 09:56 AM
D-ranged2.5
Senior User
Your situation is bad I agree, but don't you think the guys at the dealership will act differently knowing HQ is watching? While you might not ever want to see them again, you shouldn't be scared to go there again. Go there, tell them exactly what will happen and if they won't do anything about your complaints, have them call consumer relations while you're there and "work" something out. Maybe throw in a threat to buy a competitor's product, implying that you feel this particular dealership is not capable of providing decent service. You have every right to be angry! Since the dealership screwed up, you'll have to get them to fix it since they're the responsible party (which is why the rep said you'd have to go back there). If they can't, they have to pay to fix it. Have your receipts when you go, and ask why each and every replacement was necessary. If you have a voice recorder you can possibly make a transcript and someone else can tell you if they're trying to further BS you. We have a list of dealerships that have good reviews from women, maybe I can find one in your area?

Old 09-23-2005, 10:33 AM
djctoll
New User
I have been dealing with Foss Ford Motors in Liberal Ks. This is 25 miles from where I live but also work in Liberal Now I would be afraid to drive it to surroundin areas Garden cityKs 65 miles, Dodge Ks 65 miles, Okolahoma city 200 miles Whitichata ks 200 miles so I really am very limited as to where to shop

Old 09-23-2005, 11:17 AM
D-ranged2.5
Senior User
Well the only other dealer I found around the area is Don Trentham Ford in Hugoton. I wish I could be more help. Let us know if you can get anywhere with the current dealership! Good luck!

Quick Reply: Ford consumer affairs