Biodiesel & Ford's response to my question.

Old 09-22-2005, 12:34 PM
superdutyspv
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Biodiesel & Ford's response to my question.

I thought you guys might be interested in Ford's answer to my question to them about running biodiesel in my truck. I wanted an official answer. I hope you find it useful. Here is their response:

Thank you for contacting the Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center regarding the use of biodiesel fuel.

Fuels containing no more than 5% biodiesel may be used in Ford diesel powered vehicles.
There are still some unresolved technical concerns with the use of biodiesel at concentration greater than 5%. Some of the concerns are as follows:

- Special care is required at low temperatures to avoid an excessive rise in viscosity and loss of fluidity
- Storage is a problem due to higher then normal risk of microbial contamination due to water absorption, as well as a higher rate of oxidation stability which creates insoluble gums and sediment deposits
- As it is hygroscopic, the fuel tends to have increased water content, which increases the risk of corrosion
- Biodiesel tends to cause higher engine deposit formations
- The methyl esters in biodiesel fuel may attack the seals and composite materials used in vehicle fuel systems
- It may attack certain metals such as zinc, copper based alloys, cast iron, tin, lead, cobalt, and manganese
- It is an effective solvent, and can act as a paint stripper
- It tends to loosen deposits in the bottom of fuel tanks of vehicles previously run on mineral diesel.

Should you require additional information about this matter, please contact the service department at your local Ford dealership. To locate a Ford or Lincoln-Mercury dealership, please visit www.genuineflmservice.com.

We consider the satisfaction of our customers one of our most important objectives. If you have any other inquiries or concerns, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to address them for you.

Sincerely,
Maisha
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company

Old 09-22-2005, 04:37 PM
MRKnight
Elder User
I am really surprised they did not mention the biggest reason I would be afraid to run more than B5 - higher concentrations are supposed to (over time) "plasticize" the injector nozzles. I received this information from many Ford technicians that I trust. Apparently Siemens makes the injectors (at least for the '05) and I am still waiting their response on whether any BD testing has been done.

Old 09-22-2005, 05:57 PM
laredo7mma
Senior User
Originally Posted by MRKnight
...higher concentrations are supposed to (over time) "plasticize" the injector nozzles...
I think the only way to polymerize bio-d is if the bio-d has too much free glycerin in it. ASTM has standards for bio-d and the amount of free glycerine allowed, but who knows what amount of glycerin is in the "Home Brew" stuff people are making and burning in their trucks.

I always find it funny to read the DIY bio-d posts and they say it turned out "perfect." What is perfect and how did you quantify it? That is my question.

I am by no means against bio-d, I like the idea, but there is an awful lot of misunderstanding and or misinformation about it. One thing for sure is if you run crappy fuel whether it is bio or dino, you will have problems.

Old 09-22-2005, 05:57 PM
firesoutmatt
Posting Guru
You were afraid of the Bio-diesel but not of the SCMT ?

Old 09-22-2005, 06:05 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by firesoutmatt
A little baiting, isn't it?

Old 09-22-2005, 07:55 PM
MRKnight
Elder User
Originally Posted by firesoutmatt
Now now Matt - afraid is such a strong word Truth is I only asked because I was concerned about my warranty, a diesel engine is a BIG repair bill without a warranty. Now in reality IF I could actually get my hands on some BD I'd run it anyway, but for some reason this super environmentally friendly state o mine doesn't have much. Not in my area at least.

Old 09-22-2005, 09:31 PM
bczolone
Elder User
I'm making it and doing as many "quality" tests on it that I can in my make shift lab at work (I teach chemistry). If you look up and read the reports from U. Missouri, Iowa, Kansas, and Idaho most of the information I can gleen is that the injectors are buliding up double the amount of carbon as normally would occur; hence the suggestion and tests using IDI diesel showed no abnormal problems except for rubber swelling and eventual decomposition.

As for quality I have met (exceeded) viscosity, density, and pH. My concern currently is cetain(sp) content and of course methyl removal. This is best done with triple washes and air drying. This is all expidited when using heat 120F. I have used over 10gallons but not im my 6.0.

Old 10-03-2005, 07:56 AM
Powerkleen
Senior User
What about using nitrogen blankets to prevent the problems with water in the home made fuel. Not hard to rig up using small N2 tanks and not that expensive. I work in a chemical company and my supervisor is a chemist and several others at work have even looked into buying an old 500 gallon reactor tank to set up for Biodiesel. Company want sell it though.

Old 10-03-2005, 06:08 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by laredo7mma
I think the only way to polymerize bio-d is if the bio-d has too much free glycerin in it. ASTM has standards for bio-d and the amount of free glycerine allowed, but who knows what amount of glycerin is in the "Home Brew" stuff people are making and burning in their trucks.

I always find it funny to read the DIY bio-d posts and they say it turned out "perfect." What is perfect and how did you quantify it? That is my question.

I am by no means against bio-d, I like the idea, but there is an awful lot of misunderstanding and or misinformation about it. One thing for sure is if you run crappy fuel whether it is bio or dino, you will have problems.
You may have misunderstood what the term means. Same problem applies to ethanol, the ethanol can plasticise the pump and injectors. What that means is that the ethanol will cause the plastics to deteriorate, and then damage the copper windings. It does not mean the fuel solidifying...