General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Fuel tank safety

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2001, 11:22 AM
dinosaurfan
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Fuel tank safety

Hi all, would like to hear your comments and suggestions on fuel tank safety. I am hoping to take a vacation trip to my favorite place, upper penninsula michigan, late in june or early july. Gasoline just went from 1.57 monday afternnon to 1.92 friday night. Those were the best prices I could find in the town I live in, closer to the freeway it costs more yet. I would like to be able to get all the way there without stopping along the highway and buying more at robbery prices. Once I get to the resevation gas is always at least 20 cents cheaper. I was thinking of making a fuel tank from a clean 55 drum and mounting it in the bed, laying on its side, or how about across the front of my trailer tongue? My trailer is made from the back half of a 66 F250, there is about 32 inches of straight frame rail before it starts narrowing towards the coupler. I have some vague memory of my work partner (a volunteer fireman) admonishing me to always take fuel cans out of the bed and put them on the ground for filling. Was he worrying about static electricity? I certainly can't pickup a 55 gallon drum to fill it, but should I ground the tank to the frame? That seems do-able. I am not concerned about 'legality' but don't want to have an explosion because I forgot some potential problem. I am sure the law would just say don't do it. That is not enough of an answer, what do the rest of you think. DF

Old 05-05-2001, 12:37 PM
Kenny
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel tank safety

Hi DF,
Your post got me to thinking. I always see heavy equipment operators (like excavators, etc.) that have a fuel drum and hand pump mounted in the back of their pickup. I realize they are carrying diesel, but I wouldn't think gas would be any more dangerous. That leads me to believe if were done right, it wouldn't be illegal. Anyway, I don't know much about this so please take what I say "with a grain of salt". I would think if the drum was mounted solid, grounded real good, and vented properly, I think it would be o.k. (JMHO of course)
Kenny

Old 05-06-2001, 09:13 AM
Jigsaw
Tuned
Fuel tank safety

>Once I get to
>the resevation gas is always
>at least 20 cents cheaper.
>I was thinking of making
>a fuel tank from a
>clean 55 drum and mounting
>it in the bed,

Well, lets see. 20 cents a gallon X 55 gallons = $11.00. In the interest of safety (your and everyone else on the road) I would skip the extra tank.

Jerry (OldTrux) Biskup
Itasca, IL

"JIGSAW" - 1966 F100 4X4 Styleside
http://oldtrux.homestead.com/jigsaw.html

Old 05-06-2001, 01:03 PM
dinosaurfan
Cargo Master
Fuel tank safety

Jerry, I have already decieded I will do the tank, the price difference may well climb as the summer continues and some of the stations that I will be passing by use their remoteness as an excuse to gouge customers. Because I am going to do it anyway, what details should I pay attention to in the interest of saftey? DF

Old 05-06-2001, 11:17 PM
hotrodford_88
Posting Guru
Fuel tank safety

I know this is a goofy question but do you have a Tractor Supply anywhere around you? They have the pre-made tanks you're talking about but they can get expensive. I know where there is a tank that was in a 1985 F-150 but he wants about $200 for it. Plus it's down here in Texas......

1988 F-150, SWB, 5.0 EFI (formerly 4.9 EFI), M5OD 5 speed, 3.08 gears, Summit shorty truck headers, Custom built Flowmaster exhaust system. Force 4 LP6000 lightbar, Federal signal PA-300 100 watt siren, Icom IC-V100 50 watt mobile radio.
=======================================
1965 F-100 (just purchased 1/18/01), SWB, 390, C-6 auto. Dual exhaust, Not much else to do to it.

Can see both below.

[link:www.geocities.com/hotrodford_88/|Hotrodford_88's Webpage]

Old 05-07-2001, 06:27 AM
kassonb
Junior User
Fuel tank safety

I believe that fuel tanks are baffled in order to keep the fuel from sloshing around. I would imagine that you will feel the gas moving from side to side when it is anything less that full especially in a quick maneuver to avoid something. Also you are not saving any money you are only delaying the increase 55 gallons at a time. An accident using a 55 gallon drum vs. an approved fuel tank could be a disaster.
My opinion - NOT WORTH IT.

1990 F-150 4.9l 5speed 4x4

Old 05-07-2001, 03:43 PM
dinosaurfan
Cargo Master
Fuel tank safety

Well, I don't think my factory tank has any baffles in it, I can hear the fuel sloshing around on corners. However, because this would be more than twice the amount of weight as the stock tank, I will add some baffles inside before welding the thing closed. Hearing on the local news this noon that gasoline is expected to spike to 3$ per gallon, I better get started in a hurry. Okay, baffles, well grounded and mounted solidly, any other suggestions ? DF

Old 05-08-2001, 11:25 AM
William
Logistics Pro
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Fuel tank safety

DF! How about this...in the bed Tool box fuel tank. Shallow tool box, above the tank, with lockable lid and about 40 gallons of fuel. Filler necks under the lid, one on each side. Hate waiting in line. Also under the lid, pressure regulated electric fuel pump with BIG fuel filters feeding the stock mechanical pump. Fuel pump could also be used to assist stranded motorists, or fill up the chain saw. Made from quality aluminum diamond plate. This rig would look just like a regular in the bed tool box. I was thinking to add small orange blinkers on each end to indicate a lane change, like the big rigs. Maybe a set of LED lights for stop and turn, again like the big rigs. Would need a couple of fittings for fuel line and fuel return line, some charcoal canister ventilation and an expansion system similar to Chrysler. Some under the lid or on the lid inside tie downs for the jack and lug wrench. How about including an auxiliary battery, like the new spiral cells.
William in Atlanta

Old 05-08-2001, 04:26 PM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fuel tank safety

Dino, whatever you do just keep it full and you will be fine. Its the same situation with the side-saddle tanks that I have. A filled gas container does not pose an explosive hazard as gasoline is not the explosive threat, but the vapor itself. Thats why a Moltov Coctail has only a little bit of gas in it...its the vapor that makes it explosive. Baffles are not necessary in your application, but they wouldn't hurt.

If your knuckles ain't bleeding you did something wrong.

'72 F-250 "Hi-Boy" 4x4, Dana 60/HD44, FE428 @ 400 ponies , 4-speed, custom suspension w lift, mud on black.

Old 05-08-2001, 05:30 PM
hpflowman
Freshman User
Fuel tank safety

I dont think there is a problem, safety or legal. We buy av-gas in 55gal. drums at the air port for racing. And driving the alcan highway guys do just what you propose on a daily basis. Lamar.

Old 05-10-2001, 02:27 PM
dinosaurfan
Cargo Master
Fuel tank safety

Well guys I am more convinced than ever that the drum is the way to go for extra range, and just to be sure that I have the gas to get there. Last night I went to fill up the car and the marathon station where I went had 3 out 4 pumps were dry on regular 87. I am thinking that there may be spot shortages on my trip. If I run the big drum as a tank it will not matter if gasoline is available along the way or not. DF

Old 05-11-2001, 05:43 AM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
Fuel tank safety

DF, I think the rolling resistance of tires on the road is what can build a static electrical charge in a vehicle. Fuel nozzles are grounded, so when they touch the tank it can create a spark. Whenever I see a fuel truck fill an aircraft or vehicle, they first clip a grounding strap from the fuel truck to the vehicle being filled to equalize the static charge.

Why don't we have to do this at the gas station when we fill up? I don't know! But it probably would be worth the dollar or two it would cost to make a grounding strap with some aligator clips and a length of wire. Clip one end to your trailer and the other to the gas pump.

Also, don't over fill the fuel drum. Leave some room for expansion. Oh yeh, and better carry a good fire extinguisher too!

If you go through Marquette on your trip to the UP, "Papa Paul's" makes the best pasties. mmmmmmm...

Yoop it up!

Scott

Old 05-11-2001, 10:45 AM
ropinthwind1
Junior User
Fuel tank safety