1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Good Year Wrangler RTS tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 02:31 PM
A_Freebird
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Firestone Firehawk Indy 500

I had Goodyear Wrangler RT/S on my pickup when I bought it used about 2 years ago. They royally sucked. They had no traction on wet pavement at all. It made for slippery starts on my 5 speed. I got a set of Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 s about a year ago. Quieter ride and loads of on-road traction. No longer slide around corners and at stop lights in the rain. They are street tires, don't get me wrong. Not much traction on saturated grass. But I never go off-road so not a problem. I saw them on www.tirerack.com . They are the highest rated tire for my truck.

Old 09-20-2005, 03:01 PM
Eugene_Gant
New User
Take a look at this customer survey results from Tire Rack and then decide:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=ORAT
I bought the #1 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's and glad I did even though my
truck does not see much off-road.

Old 09-20-2005, 06:47 PM
afirecat
Freshman User
Originally Posted by xtrford
These tires suck badly! I have the 265/70 r17 and I cant even turn a corner without a loud squeling noise. Been doing my best to wear them out so I can get my 285's (maybe 305's) bridgestone duellers.
Remember you guys these arn't OFF road tires they are P rated for god sake, Ive had three of these trucks with the rt/s on the and got 110000 km ,70 thousand miles out of them best wearing tires I have ever had in my life, like I said there a highway tire so dont knock them, If you want OFF road then go with the AT/S or the duallers, but dont tell me these are a bad highway tires because they are not, quiet, smooth, and high wearing tire!!! my two cents

Old 09-20-2005, 06:49 PM
afirecat
Freshman User
Originally Posted by A_Freebird
I had Goodyear Wrangler RT/S on my pickup when I bought it used about 2 years ago. They royally sucked. They had no traction on wet pavement at all. It made for slippery starts on my 5 speed. I got a set of Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 s about a year ago. Quieter ride and loads of on-road traction. No longer slide around corners and at stop lights in the rain. They are street tires, don't get me wrong. Not much traction on saturated grass. But I never go off-road so not a problem. I saw them on www.tirerack.com . They are the highest rated tire for my truck.
Ya firestone now theres a better tire (LMAO)

Old 09-21-2005, 02:19 AM
Wood in Virginia
Freshman User
Just got new set of Goodyear Wrangler RTS from dealer after tires showed irregular wear..(cupping on ALL 4 tires) at 9900 miles. Had bought vehicle from dealer with 3700 miles,then had tires rotated @ 5200 miles with a receipt. Tires had 12/32 tread depth now & when NEW they have 13/32 tread depth. Good year store was only going to offer me 50% value on a warranty of the tires from a company [Goodyear store*...they said 4 tires would be $332. considering they are giving me 50% off the price of a new RTS set..<---No way am I paying for their defects] Yet edges were worn & feathered. Local Dealer tried to blame me for alignment; however alignment is RESPONSIBILITY of selling dealer BEFORE they sell it to ya. Had to speak to Regional Rep from FordMOCO but ALL is good now..this is my 3rd Explorer (a Sport Trac). *Goodyear Store says all these new cars get Toe Out of Alignment when Manufacturer transports these trucks via Truck transport. The chaining down of the vehicles allegedely gets them out of alignment during shipping from the factory.
Even though I know I won't get but 20K miles out of these things even when you rotate them every 5000 miles, something about the quality of this one SUCKS big time. But Dealer did replace,mount,balance,under terms of warranty! So I am happy that Ford is standing up behind their warranty.
Had them same Goodyear RTS before on an earlier Explorer model..
didn't last but 22k miles before the out of round hum got to my wife..she couldn't hear the radio for the dang tire noise ! She went to Michelin's ATX M/S ..have lasted 75k miles withought a whimper..

Old 09-21-2005, 02:37 AM
Wood in Virginia
Freshman User
Unlucky Frank I was just speaking about this issue on another board..
here is that post:
Originally Posted by Wood in Virginia
Just got new set of Goodyear Wrangler RTS from dealer after tires showed irregular wear..(cupping on ALL 4 tires) at 9900 miles. Had bought vehicle from dealer with 3700 miles,then had tires rotated @ 5200 miles with a receipt. Tires had 12/32 tread depth now & when NEW they have 13/32 tread depth. Good year store was only going to offer me 50% value on a warranty of the tires from a company [Goodyear store*...they said 4 tires would be $332. considering they are giving me 50% off the price of a new RTS set..<---No way am I paying for their defects] Yet edges were worn & feathered. Local Dealer tried to blame me for alignment; however alignment is RESPONSIBILITY of selling dealer BEFORE they sell it to ya. Had to speak to Regional Rep from FordMOCO but ALL is good now..this is my 3rd Explorer (a Sport Trac). *Goodyear Store says all these new cars get Toe Out of Alignment when Manufacturer transports these trucks via Truck transport. The chaining down of the vehicles allegedely gets them out of alignment during shipping from the factory.

Even though I know I won't get but 20K miles out of these things even when you rotate them every 5000 miles, something about the quality of this one SUCKS big time. But Dealer did replace,mount,balance,under terms of warranty! So I am happy that Ford is standing up behind their warranty.

Had them same Goodyear RTS before on an earlier Explorer model..

didn't last but 22k miles before the out of round hum got to my wife..she couldn't hear the radio for the dang tire noise ! She went to Michelin's ATX M/S ..have lasted 75k miles withought a whimper..
--------------------

Note: Consumer Reports 10/04 reports that new #1Goodyear Forteza is highest rated truck tire for a pickup that does a lot of Highway use.
#2 was a Pirelli Scorpion Tire.#3 was BF Goodrich. Michelin ATX was down in the middle of the list of 12 tires. Goodyear Wrangler RTS wasn't even on the list !!!
Forteza's cost about $170 a piece at Goodyear store; they are not available from Costco or Sam's Club either. If your buying a pickup I go with the BF Goodrich if I were buying. If I had a SUV I go with the Michelin LTX.
Good Luck.

Old 09-21-2005, 03:24 PM
xtrford
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by afirecat
Remember you guys these arn't OFF road tires they are P rated for god sake, Ive had three of these trucks with the rt/s on the and got 110000 km ,70 thousand miles out of them best wearing tires I have ever had in my life, like I said there a highway tire so dont knock them, If you want OFF road then go with the AT/S or the duallers, but dont tell me these are a bad highway tires because they are not, quiet, smooth, and high wearing tire!!! my two cents
I'll agree with you that the wear factor on the goodyears are excellent, but to have a tire that goes snakey on you when the pavement is a little wet, sorry, in my opinion they still suck. If it also means that other brands wear quicker than the goodyears, so be it, tread wear doesnt mean squat to me, I'll go with bridgestone, firestone, or BF's anyday over these ones. What I'm trying to say is traction is very important when considering safety of a vehicle, especially when you have kids riding with you, I should not have to worry about a little bit of water on the road with my truck. Maybe you live in a milder climate than me, who knows, up here in alberta the weather can get real nasty very quickly and it would give me piece of mind knowing if have tires than can get me to point A to B safely. Keep yours for all I care, get your 110k's out of them, I'll be the nice guy and pull you out of the ditch when you skid off the road.

Old 09-21-2005, 05:58 PM
Volfandt
Junior User
I'm on my 2nd set of GY Wranglers on my 1998 F150 4x4 Off Road.
I got 75k on the original set of RT/S P265 70R17's and now have about 40K on the AT/S P265 70R17's. From the looks of 'em, I should get the same or better mileage out of 'em as the RT's.
Only difference I've noticed is that the AT's more aggressive tread is louder than the RT's, but not so much as to be a problem.
I rotate 'em every 5k miles when I do the oil change.

Volfandt

Old 09-21-2005, 08:52 PM
dilas
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Ive had Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo's on my 98 4x4, love it, rides real nice on highway and off road too, maybe bit shorter life than I expected. Now my 02 Supercrew came with BF Goodrich TA KO, nice looking rugged tires. Have had no problem with it thus far, towed my trailer for 3K miles trip this summer in the desert heat mostly, no problem. SInce Duelers are bit cheaper, I would buy Bridgestone Duelers when it's time for replacement about 10K miles to go. BF Goodrich KO cost approx 30-40 more each tire, and Dueler get better overall rating, it makes more sense for me to invest on Duelers. Just my .02.

Old 09-21-2005, 09:34 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by xtrford
I'll agree with you that the wear factor on the goodyears are excellent, but to have a tire that goes snakey on you when the pavement is a little wet, sorry, in my opinion they still suck.
I am really curious man, are you comparing similar types of tread patterns between companies too? I mean you could compare brands till you have no breath left, but thread patterns is a whole different story!

Old 09-22-2005, 04:24 PM
xtrford
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by preppypyro
I am really curious man, are you comparing similar types of tread patterns between companies too? I mean you could compare brands till you have no breath left, but thread patterns is a whole different story!
Yes, I was talking about the same tread pattern, basically an all-season tread. Although the off road tires do look nicer, is there a huge price difference between the two?

Old 09-22-2005, 09:56 PM
Wood in Virginia
Freshman User
Xtrford the Goodyear Wrangler RTS does OK in the rain until they get 'out of round' then they suck . If you are having problems with your Goodyears slipping during rainy weather suggest you go to tire dealer to see if your tires are still in the round. One thing I have learned about Goodyears is you MUST rotate them on time..and be sure your tire mechanic X rotated the front two to the back two positions. While moving the rears to the front on the same sides.

Some people claim that rotation isn't important but it is !!! I find that most tire places other than speciality tire shops try to take shortcuts in the rotation process. Don't let them do this to you!!! I make sure I spell it out when I leave the vehicle how I want them rotated & I mark my tires with soap on the inside of the tire before going there to make sure it was done correctly if I know I can't be in the bay with them. Otherwise I sit there and watch to make sure it is done correctly.

Good Luck

Old 09-23-2005, 07:55 AM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My 2000, that had 65,000 when I bought it, still had the original Wranglers. I have never liked these tires in the past, but was shocked at how good these were . Rode and drove good and were not noisy. When I replaced them I bought Michelins, love em.

Old 09-23-2005, 03:56 PM
xtrford
Posting Guru
[QUOTE=Wood in Virginia]Xtrford the Goodyear Wrangler RTS does OK in the rain until they get 'out of round' then they suck .

I guess i have some pretty "out of round" ones then. Has anyone had problems with these tires breaking loose on dry pavement when turning a corner and accelerating? The rear tires chirp loudly when I hit the gas and I'm not even trying too, becomes embarassing after a while when at first I thought it was cool that they did that. Is it possibley because of my limited slip rear end?

Old 09-25-2005, 08:53 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Yeah the price difference between rt's and pretty much any other goodyear is enough to notice, we get alot of guys at the shop I work at that love, and hate them at the same time! One wierd thing is the owner wont run any other tires on his truck, and i mean he could run anything, so some people must like them!

Quick Reply: Good Year Wrangler RTS tires