Why can't I use a lightning supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 10:02 PM
plugugly
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why can't I use a lightning supercharger

I have a 95 F150 351 and need some more power for towing. I love my truck and may be forced to sell it if I can not gain some more power. I see there was a 351 lightning in 95 can pull the supercharger from one of these and use it on my truck? It sounds to simple to be possible to me any help?

Old 09-15-2005, 11:06 PM
jokerforever
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 351 Lightings did not come with superchargers. That was only used on the new body style because the new mod engines make poor low end torque. Same reason behind the supercharged Cobras. The mod engines are inferior in every way except gas mileage compared to the old push rod <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1lace w:st="on">Windsor</st1lace></st1:City> motors. They had to use force induction to make power. But that is another argument for another post. As for your truck, if you do some looking around I’m certain that somebody makes a supercharger kit for you. Or you could upgrade the intake, heads, and exhaust, which were very restricted on truck speck engines, and have probably all the power that you want. And if you still need more you can then upgrade to force induction later. Don’t forget if you’re willing to get into the short block you can stroke and poke it too. There are a ton of options out there. Do some research and have fun. That’s why we’re all here.

Old 09-15-2005, 11:08 PM
Blurry94
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
93-95 Lightnings did NOT come with blowers from the factory.
However...Vortech, Powerdyne and Ford Racing sell kits for the GEN 1 Lightning trucks. Keep in mind, these kits are for GT-40 upper intakes, so you'll have to do some plumbing modifications and/or upgrade your stock upper and lower intake manifold.
If you're looking for a complete kit, then you'd need an FMU and/or some type of inline, boost activated fuel pump, as well as a boost/timing retard.

Old 09-16-2005, 06:43 AM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
If you can fabricate, you can install anything on anything.

And if you google around, there are kits for the 351W engines.... mustang guys do that all the time, nothing new.

Old 09-16-2005, 07:10 AM
plugugly
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought that without switching to Mass Air that any mods I did would be a waste. I know that was not mentioned earlier, sorry. i thought if there was a SC out there on a lightning speed density system, well ya know.

Old 09-16-2005, 09:45 AM
Blurry94
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
My 94 Lightning is sc'd and still using speed density. However, I do have tuning software for it, and with that, i've been able to zero out the FMU.

You can put a supercharger on your rig but it (mass air or speed density) will need tuning.

Old 09-19-2005, 04:29 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Joker, I'm going to dissagree on the comment about the mod motors needing a S/C to makre power. The thing here is reliability and fuel economy. I can build a 600hp 351w or 5.4 that will not be very reliable. I might get to make two or three runs before it needs help. Or I can take a 300hp 351 or 5.4 and add a S/C and make 500 to 600 hp, that will not only be reliable, but it will also be STREETABLE. That is no lopey cam to mess with the vacuum for the brakes, or heater blend doors. This S/C motor will also get better fuel economy because you're not having it run rich all the time.

Old 09-19-2005, 10:29 PM
jokerforever
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He, he, he…..I thought I’d get a commit or two off that one. But I thought someone would step up for the mod motors not the SC. I have seen a bunch of NA mod motors at the track making tons of power and running big numbers. But most of those cars are nowhere near streetable, even if their owners try to say different. They will not last and they can’t be driven on a regular basic. And you’re right, from the factory standpoint they had to find a way to make reliable streetable power that would last 200K miles. They couldn’t take the motor any further and still offer a warranty, so the easies way to make the power was with the SC. What I’m saying is that the SBF is a better motor than the mod motors. It is lighter, physically smaller, has more displacement potential, it’s easier to build, cheaper to build, and it’s a proven platform that has competed in, and won, every form of racing for the last 40 years. Now I’m not against SCing an engine; quite the opposite. I’m planning on SCing the V10 in my Super Duty this winter. And I’m debating on trying one out on my Mustang II. But the design of the mod motors, for the most part, has reached their power potential from the factory. Yes, toss on a couple of bolt on parts, open the exhaust, and port the intake and heads and you can squeeze a little more power from them, but not as much as a SBF, and most of the gains will be too high in the RPM range to be useful on the street. And I personally hate them as truck motors too. I have tried all three; two F150s, one with a 4.6, the other with a 5.4, and my current F350 with a V10. They get the job done, but the EFI 300 six, 351 and 460 just have so much better toque curves. So much better if my V10 doesn’t start acting better with the SC I will be looking into an engine swap. And I probably will SC the 460 too. So please don't think that I’m against Force Induction. I’m not. I’m just not a fan of the mod motors.

Old 09-19-2005, 10:59 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Well, remember "streetable" is a vague word and each of us define it differently.

I have a friend with a 528 hemi cuda with more overlap than you can measure, it idles extremely rough, thuga-thuga-thuga and the whole car shakes violently, almost rotating, at stop lights. And you have to yell at each other inside the car.

*he* considers that streetable, and in nice weather he drives it every day to work, which I'd estimate at 30 miles each way. I imagine a lot of it is not at idle however

Anyway, this is why I'm a huge fan of turbocharging... you have the power when you want it, and when you're just cruizing around town, its a nice comfortable ride. I don't need to shift at 6500 while commuting to work.

Old 09-20-2005, 12:36 AM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Frederic, I know some people like that too... With that kind of cam, what kind of TC is he running?