N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Progress

Old 09-15-2005, 09:57 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Progress

I finally ran out of excuses and fixed my rusty door pillars. Had a heck of a time learning to weld again - turned out my photogray glasses and the new auto-darkening helmet were working against each other. Once I took my glasses off I could see enough to wirefeed weld the home made patches in.

There was no such thing as photogrey or auto-darkening glass when I learned to weld. I admit that the welding is not the best looking, but I picked a spot that no one would ever see for my first attempt.

Felt so good that I went ahead and painted the bottom of my cab and the firewall. Again it has been 20 years since I had a spray gun in my hand so I picked someplace hard to see. Turned out OK - actually very well with the paint but I had rattle-canned a rubber coating on the firewall and most of the bottom. The rubber coating had a few runs and some splatter, but who cares?

I hope to mount the cab back on the frame next week. I need to finish putting new king pins in, and adding the limited slip and new ratio to the rear end so I can wheel the frame around. The frame and springs are ready.

I bought a reamer for the king pins off eBay. Pick it up down in Bakersfield on Saturday as the guy promised to show me how to work it. Neighbor has promised to help me set up the 9 inch limited slip next week.

So I am making progress on my project - anyone else have a project working?

btw - I would lend the reamer to any chapter member after I am done. I expect I will want hold a check as a deposit as tools have a way of wondering off and not coming home. No other charge, except for postage if you don't live nearby.

So lets hear about what you are doing to your truck!

Clint

Old 09-16-2005, 03:23 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Lol...musta been a reeeeaaallly long time since you welded...good to finally start making some progress, huh? Toughest part is finding the time to stay committed.

Re: What I'm doing on my '36...well, putting up a 22x36 shop, having the slab poured end of this month, building put up middle of next month...

Then in rolls the '36 and the fun begins. Will start with boxing the frame, doing somehting (unknown yet) about the X-brace member, install a chrome drop axle and newer hub (early 40's car) and then hunt for a rear. Hope to have all the chassis done by our Xmas shut down at work, and have at least the cab done as well so I can start on the steering and drivetrain setup

Why only 22x36? Well, that's as wide (22) as I can fit and as long (36) to keep from covering up my septic tank.

Old 09-16-2005, 04:36 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Mike, sounds good, wish I could afford a shop building. I am hurrying to get the glass back in before the rain starts.

But it is only fair that you post pictures to your galley - even if it is the "before" image of your 36 and your shop! Seriously, everybody likes to see the photos - and I am sure you will be posting some later so why not start now?

Also, I live in the Fresno area, how about you?

Old 09-16-2005, 07:50 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Yea, gotta get me one of them fancy digital cameras...I'm a bit North of you in Oakdale...I'm cheaping out on the "shop", and using one of those "895 installed" carports, but modifying a few things. Cool thing is, they'll have it up and anchored, sided in, in about 2-3 hours...instant cover for about 3 grand. Come rain, I'll work inside of it insulating then plywooding or particle board/sheet rock, what ever is cheapest, to help the insulation some. Heck, even if I don't get around to insulating it right away, sure beats doing things in the driveway.

Funny part is I have about 4-5K square foot of shop space, mainly taken up in storage for "future projects" and "good stuff" that my dad and I have aquired over the last zillion years. I'm too much of a packrat to toss or sell things...so up goes another building to work in

Old 09-16-2005, 08:39 PM
Madathlon
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like a good thread here.. At this moment im looking into updating the breaks and adding some power steering.. After this past weekend of hualing my wife van up and over the mountions here.. I really need the updates.. Tips and idea are welcomed on what will work for this..

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=411396 this is about my trip this past weekend

Old 09-17-2005, 12:18 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
What kind of truck? Any of the modern stuff...like post-50's...I'm clueless

Old 09-17-2005, 08:52 AM
Madathlon
Posting Guru
ok 3mike6, I have a 1960 F-100 with a 223 inline 6 And T98 Tranny, 3.25 ford 9in rear end on 31-10.50-15 tires..

Old 09-17-2005, 05:24 PM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
My drive way decoration hasn't been touched in over a year. Lost all desire to work on it, then the heat came, quit my job, needed a new roof...yadda yadda.

However now that it's cooling off and I don't forsee any major expenses...I can at least get back to wrenching on it even if I can't buy anything for it

Old 09-17-2005, 10:58 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I put a rebuilt 1968 460 lincoln engine, with a respectable cam in my 74 F250 4x4, w/ 4 speed trans. I did this with the intent of towing my travel trailor with the objective of having more umph than the gas guzzling turtle racer 360 I was using. While the 460 was being rebuilt, I broke down and bought an 05 F350 Super Duty with a Power Stroke Diesel. Nice truck but it has taken me away from interest in my baby in the driveway (the 74).
I just got re-motivated to build and restore my 74 when I realized that I haven't even begun collecting firewood for the upcoming winter. I only have about 4 or 500 miles on the new engine so I am a little concerned about working her too hard cutting wood. So, I began driving her again to put some miles on and boy, now I am getting anxious again to restore my truck.
Hopefully soon, I will have my clean restored 74 parked next to my 05, and have a hard time deciding which I like better. That will be a sight.
A home remodel has been my biggest enemy with regards to time/money for working on the truck. I think I will be allotting my time and $$$ between the two more evenly from now on. Hopefully the wife will agree.
Last summer I converted my brakes to disc brakes and installed the engine (swap and conversion). Now I am working on getting the horses running a little harder.
Need to decide on a carburator and aftermarket ignition system. Any ideas?
That's my progress report, Tim

Last edited by olfordsnstone; 09-17-2005 at 11:01 PM.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:14 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Wow - only 2 active projects and 2 pending ones out of 69 viewers. Guess the rest of you buy your trucks already set up for shows, or as daily drivers. I had hoped for more projects, sort of a common point for some of us. Would have been fun comparing notes and helping each other as they do in other chapters.

Old 09-20-2005, 10:52 PM
Madathlon
Posting Guru
Mines is a daily driver that a rollin project,, In just short on cash to do much right at this momnent

Old 09-20-2005, 11:13 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
I hear you - and your project is rolling just fine. Maybe we can meet the next time I go through Redding. But I have to warn you, right now I am pulling my little camp trailer with a jeep, it will be a while before I have the 59 ready to tow it!

Old 10-03-2005, 10:09 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
Projects?

My son has two vehicles that I classify as projects. First, his '95 Tbird (4.6) blows a head gasket. We're talking a wiring harness from hell. The car is fine, but what a spider web. 21 unique connector types? That's just wrong!

While we're working on repairing the 4.6, he bring's home a '73 Highboy with a blown out left closed socket outer front axle. For fun I guess. My driveway is filling up with chunks of Ford steel.

Of course, dad knows all about this stuff (NOT!)... Well, the '73 is ok. I can get that one working pretty quickly.

What is that stuff about an engine with no distributor??? That's just not fair!

Old 10-04-2005, 09:29 PM
jd_sylvia
Posting Guru

Hi guys
Working on my rolling resto 65 F100. I just finished putting the front end back on afte it was removed by a 95 Z28 about 2 years ago.
Installed a Duraspark ignition and a rebuilt 4 barrel Holley, bumped up the gears to 3.0 for some gas mileage.
I'm going to start welding in some of the holes in the bed but it is a driveway resto and I will have to jump in and out of the rain pretty soon.
Got the gas mileage up from 8 to 13.5 mostly city.

It's all fun.

jd

Old 10-04-2005, 10:42 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have been working on getting my fresh C8VE 460 engine, in my 74 F250 4X4, tuned and timed for a while now. I timed it to the factory specs (10 degrees BTDC) and it has been dieseling after shutting off. I retarded the timing, hoping that it was the problem. It still did it.
I am now thinking that maybe it is the bigger cam that was installed at rebuild, and it needs to be advanced a bit above factory specs. Also, the fact that I am at 5700 feet elevation, where it would need to be advanced even more too.
What do you guys think?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Progress