General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Long distance relationship, how do you do it!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 06:48 PM
wezol5484
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long distance relationship, how do you do it!?

How many of yall have done the long distance relationships? Did it work out?
How did you cope with being away from him/her so long.

Right now I'm in a long distance relationship (90 miles), I am at college. We aren't having any problems with trust or anything. She is the girl of my dreams. I mean, she LOVES my truck. She says its her baby now, and her favorite truck is an 05 F350 FX4 King Ranch Can you find a better girl? I submit that you cannot. The problem that I am having right now is that I miss her like CRAZY. Its been so hard being away from her. We were litterally inseperable over the entire summer. Out of the time we've been together there have only been a total of about 8 days that we have not seen eachother (before I moved here). How did you cope with missing your significant other? So far, I'm not coping with it very well

Old 09-14-2005, 07:16 PM
jjg052590
Senior User
No, it didn't work with me.. heck it's hard to even keep one with a girl at a different school let alone different city with all the various after school activities

Old 09-14-2005, 07:29 PM
bobs75f-250
Senior User
I had a long distance relationship for two years, everything worked out ok, the beginning is the tough part, once you get used to it its not bad. Whenever I left for college I couldn't listen to country music for a month cause it was too depressing, but it does get better.

Old 09-14-2005, 08:07 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm not much into the long distance stuff. I have tried it before and it didnt work out very well. Lots of different reasons too, but jealousy on their part was a big key to the relationships not working out.

Old 09-14-2005, 09:07 PM
Greg 79 f150
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not the most ideal situation to be in. When I was 19 too many years ago, I left my HS sweetie so I could work in the big city and get started out in life. We floundered in our relationship for two years, with me just about paying for a toll road in those two years. She didnt last long and neither did I . There were too many new things for me to explore and she had too many guys back home willing to fill in for me in my absence.

It sounds like you two have been smacked with that senseless euphoria called falling in love. After 4 days of not seeing each other you will get edgy and your skin will itch. You will lay awake at night and stare at the ceiling, every dimple in it will remind you of her. Your appetite will diminish, because you will not want to sit still long enough to eat. You will pace the floor, ears on supertune waiting for the phone to ring and hear her voice. Your stomach will be hit with this constant discomfort. It is not a illness, it is just love sickness. Enjoy , the intensity of falling in love for the first time will only happen once in your life, savor it. good luck to you.

Old 09-14-2005, 09:29 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it depends on the persons involved as to whether it will last. 90 miles isn't bad, I was 600 from my wife right before we got married, and only got to see her one weekend a month generally. We had gone through it before, and other than us made it not work,(parental influence) I also have had other long distance relations, and they pulled out on me even though I was still holding on and trying.

Old 09-14-2005, 09:45 PM
Flash
Posting Guru
I had a long distance relationship with a gal that originally grew up in West Texas and lived in Portland Oregon. I lived in San Antonio at the time. We were a perfect match. We had the same interests, liked the same music, we both liked reseaching a topic, just a perfect match and great friends also. I only got to see her twice a year and although I think we would have gotten married if she lived in Texas, I couldn't stand the being alone. Some folks are good at long distance relationships- it's not for everybody. Oh yeah, and this little lady was a head turner. She was exceptionally beautiful.

Old 09-14-2005, 09:49 PM
triton_2002
Postmaster
Tried it a couple of times, didn't work for me. It's hard enough when the two of you are together. Although, the moments when you get to see each other are really great.
Good luck with it.

In my opinion, you shouldn't be tied down (especially long distance) when you're in college, there's just too many great opportunites your missing. To each his own.....

Old 09-14-2005, 10:27 PM
Mr. Man
Senior User
tell ya one thing, sounds like she is your first love, if she is, SAVOR THE MOMENTS, i know you prolly hope and hopefully will get married, but if you don't, i'll guarantee you won't feel the same about girls for quite a while....i'm young, but me and my first love broke up a few months ago, and i'm just now getting half way over it, still not wanting a loving relationship right now either... as for the long distance relationships, i say forget it now, i'm sticking with girls that go to my college....

Old 09-14-2005, 10:29 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
I will have to agree, my first and I didn't make it, she was one of the failed long distance, I went to tech school while she stayed behind... I never have felt the same about anyone since, and that was 15 years ago... Once I got close, but it faltered as well...

Old 09-14-2005, 10:31 PM
Mr. Man
Senior User
well, give us SOME hope fellro86...lol j/j i base it COMPLETELY on God, he has a road picked out for me, and I intend to follow it the best I can.

Old 09-14-2005, 10:51 PM
wezol5484
Postmaster

Yea she is my first true love. I thought that I had loved in the past but when this one came I realized that what I had in the past wasnt near what I have now. I also am 100% sure she feels the exact same about me. I dont know what I would do without her and she told a friend of her moms that she cant picture life without me. Shes going to try to come here to do her basics. I think its a good idea. Its hard though. The first week we fought alot, and when I went home for the weekend we had a BIG fight. I got my stuff and walked out. It was funny though. I was supposed to take her to her grandmas and I was supposed to eat with them. If I didnt she would get in trouble (didnt have a car at the time). So I went and I ate with them, and we put everything aside and acted like nothing was wrong. We went to look at her new car and we started laughin and realized how stupid we were being. We were both just having a hard time with me leaving and we took it out on eachother. Its been good ever since. Nothing is worth having that doesnt take work. Right?

Old 09-14-2005, 11:05 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Mr. Man
well, give us SOME hope fellro86...lol j/j i base it COMPLETELY on God, he has a road picked out for me, and I intend to follow it the best I can.
Hope is not lost, as I do love my wife, it just isn't the same as that time... she endured many years of separation, as we weren't together in any sense for that time, and yet we eventually came together. When I located her again, I was in South Dakota and she was in Missouri, and that went on for several months before we finally married, 15 years after we first met. Our relations were all long distance until we got married... when I first met her, I lived 2 hours away, then we lost contact, then re established it, I was 6 hours away, then lost contact, and then again years later, 9 hours away... but we have hardly missed a day talking to each other since Feb of 02.

Last edited by fellro86; 09-14-2005 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:06 PM
Icefan71
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Back in 1992 I met a girl in my home town but I was on leave from the military. We had a long distance relationship for quite some time. It was really hard on the both of us. I dont know how I did it. Today we are married and have 2 kids. We'll be celebrating our 10th anniversary in Feb.

Old 09-14-2005, 11:10 PM
fordmarshall111
Senior User
I generally have a bad feeling about long distance relationships. However, 2 instances make me believe they can work in some cases. My sister has a friend who has had a boyfriend in Canada for several years. (She lives in California) They see eachother a couple times a year, but they are happy and are planning on getting married soon. They just have to work out whether he moves here or she moves there and then they're good to go. That's the most extreme one I can think of that's working. The other one involves a guy and girl who dated in high school, went to different colleges, saw eachother only during breaks/vacations during that time, and got married when they finished college. I'm not saying it's a done deal, but it can happen. Either way, I wish you the best of luck.

Quick Reply: Long distance relationship, how do you do it!?