transmission question for 226 flathead 6

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 07:54 PM
hissonut1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy transmission question for 226 flathead 6

I am new to the flathead forum and new to flatheads in general. I have a 1950 226 flathead 6 that I have resently bought from a local antique auto parts dealer to put into a vintage dirt track sprinter that I am restoring. The car originally ran this engine and was fairly successful. My question is about transmissions. I want to use the 41 to 47 style trans but I am having trouble locating one. Is the V-8 and 6 trans the same or at least interchangable? I really need a flathead 6 expert to steer me the right way. Help!
I have photos of the car past and present I can e-mail to anyone interested.

Jeff
Coal Valley, IL.

Old 09-14-2005, 05:36 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome Jeff, to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!
Stick around someone will be by shortly to answer your question.
We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 09-15-2005, 07:36 PM
jboren
Freshman User
While the actual transmissions may be the same you will have to have it mated to a bellhousing from a 6. There are some differences between the 6 and the 8 as far as the bellhousing to engine mounting pattern. Kinda hard to explain. They are similar but just different enough not to interchange. I have a 3 speed that will bolt up to a 6. It is from a 49 F-1. As far as I know it is good but it weighs a bunch. If you are interested I am in north alabama.

Old 09-15-2005, 11:07 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jeff always good to have fellow 226ers to talk to. We truely a small segment of the Flathead ferturnity. Yes, as far as I know any Flathead trans will work on the 226. What you need is the ring (called the hogsring) that goes between the trans and engine. If you have no luck locating one locally I have one in my storage unit. If you are restoring back to orginal the 3 speed trans is probably your best choice. They have syncros in 2nd and 3rd gear. The truck 4 speed in the F1 thru F4 were non-syncro (crashbox) units. The most popular trans swap today is the S-10 T-5 5 speed unit from 84 to 89 S-10/S-15 pickup. Or to use a C-4 automatic transmission, Speedway and Flat-o-matic carry the adaptors. When you get to the point of dual exhaust a company called Kansas Kustoms will split your manifold for around $200.00 shipping included. If you need more information on them contact Christopher2 over on the 1948 to 1960 Forum. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.There is a good book on hopping-up the Flathead 226 6 cylinder engine called "California Bill's Speed Manual" 1952 edition.

Hope this helps
Rod

Last edited by 51ford fan; 09-15-2005 at 11:15 PM.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:58 PM
hissonut1
New User
Thumbs up

I'd would be intersted JBOREN if you would want to get rid of it? I'll pay the ride how much total for it and some shipping?

Jeff at hissonut1@msn.com

Old 09-20-2005, 11:00 PM
hissonut1
New User
JBOREN, I am sorry but I have a trans now but thge fellow who I bought it from has misplaced the bell housing. SO I am still looking to get this project done!

Old 09-24-2005, 09:19 PM
jboren
Freshman User
Sorry,
It's been a few days since I have check back here. I just sent you a message.

Jimmy

Old 10-17-2005, 09:26 PM
SgtCrump
Freshman User
Hi all....another newbie to the 226 world...mine's in a '48 F-3.
I have the 4 spd. crashbox that Rod mentioned. I would like to put in the equivalent synchro tranny. I've been offered a free one from a 57 F100. Does anyone know if the '57 tranny would fit? I understand the hogsring, but what about the input shaft? Is that going to be a problem?

Old 10-17-2005, 11:39 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SgtCrump
Hi all....another newbie to the 226 world...mine's in a '48 F-3.
I have the 4 spd. crashbox that Rod mentioned. I would like to put in the equivalent synchro tranny. I've been offered a free one from a 57 F100. Does anyone know if the '57 tranny would fit? I understand the hogsring, but what about the input shaft? Is that going to be a problem?
Welcome to the forum SgtCrump, its always good to hear from fellow 226 people. From what info I have been able to gather about the trans is, the ones used on the Flathead were different from the overhead models after 1953. You would need to measure the diameter and length of the input shaft. I was given a nice Flathead car 3 speed I thought would work great. Turned out it has a different length input shaft than the truck does.
Of course you could probably make that 57 unit work with some modifications. It all depends on how skilled you are, how much machine shop equipment you have at your disposal. And how much money you are willing to spend to adapt that unit. Most of the time that's the problem, it costs more to adapt them than its worth.
From what I see available out there your best bet is a truck (syncro 2nd) 3 speed out of a 48 to 52 truck, 6 & 8 cylinder will bolt right up. Or a C-4 automatic with the Cornhusker adaptor kit. I don't think I would put an S-10 5 speed in that size truck they aren't real strong. I have heard of some guys using a later Ford truck 4 speed off the 300 cu inch 6 cylinder engine. But I have no detials on what's involved to install it. At present I'm also stuck at this point, stay in touch and let me know which route you decide to go.

Hope this helps
Rod

Old 10-18-2005, 12:58 AM
SgtCrump
Freshman User
Thanks Rod,

My goal is to make the fewest mods possible, and stick to invisible ones. My main reason for a mod is safety. I personally don't mind the crashbox, but I live in Las Vegas, where half the population is driving drunk at any hour of day or night.
When I get cut off by some idiot, I want to be able to stop her as quickly as possible, and you can't do that with a crashbox. I like having the compound low, and speed isn't an issue. I also agree wiht you about sticking with a stronger tranny.
What I find confusing is the designations like T18 or T98. I can't find a good chart that tells me how to identify the different types and how they relate. I don't have the resources to re-engineer the stuff, so I need to find compatible parts.

Old 10-18-2005, 05:39 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Yes I know, I have spent hours searching for other trans options for the 226. About the only two I have found that go into any detail are the S-10 5 speed, and the C-4. A lot of the guys that have found a HD floor shift 3 speed seem happy with them. For me I leaning towards the S-10 5 speed, and a 68 Ford 9" rearend with 3:23 gears.

Old 10-18-2005, 11:40 PM
SgtCrump
Freshman User
Unfortunately, either the T5 or C4 would ruin the character of the F3. On the other hand, I am getting the '57 tranny for free, so I'll see what the experts come up with. Someone may have an answer, if it doesn't just bolt up.

Old 10-21-2005, 04:34 PM
j gibbs
Senior User
Originally Posted by 51ford fan
Welcome to the forum Jeff always good to have fellow 226ers to talk to. We truely a small segment of the Flathead ferturnity. Yes, as far as I know any Flathead trans will work on the 226. What you need is the ring (called the hogsring) that goes between the trans and engine. If you have no luck locating one locally I have one in my storage unit. If you are restoring back to orginal the 3 speed trans is probably your best choice. They have syncros in 2nd and 3rd gear. The truck 4 speed in the F1 thru F4 were non-syncro (crashbox) units. The most popular trans swap today is the S-10 T-5 5 speed unit from 84 to 89 S-10/S-15 pickup. Or to use a C-4 automatic transmission, Speedway and Flat-o-matic carry the adaptors. When you get to the point of dual exhaust a company called Kansas Kustoms will split your manifold for around $200.00 shipping included. If you need more information on them contact Christopher2 over on the 1948 to 1960 Forum. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.There is a good book on hopping-up the Flathead 226 6 cylinder engine called "California Bill's Speed Manual" 1952 edition.

Hope this helps
Rod
Rod,

Thanks for all the info. I too have a the flathead 6. I have been trying to decide if I should keep it or not. It was rebuilt about 15 years ago but only has about 2000 miles on it. I drove it in high school, but I didn't like the non-syncro tranny and the really low gears. I was thinking of a more modern engine and tranny and higher geared rearend, but recently I hear people saying that with a 5 speed manual or AOD tranny you may not have to change the rearend to get some highway gears.

Is the T-5 a bolt in modification with the adapters from speedway or flat-o-matic? Where can you find "California Bill's Speed Manual"? Thanks.

Old 10-21-2005, 09:51 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by j gibbs
Rod,

Thanks for all the info. I too have a the flathead 6. I have been trying to decide if I should keep it or not. It was rebuilt about 15 years ago but only has about 2000 miles on it. I drove it in high school, but I didn't like the non-syncro tranny and the really low gears. I was thinking of a more modern engine and tranny and higher geared rearend, but recently I hear people saying that with a 5 speed manual or AOD tranny you may not have to change the rearend to get some highway gears.

Is the T-5 a bolt in modification with the adapters from speedway or flat-o-matic? Where can you find "California Bill's Speed Manual"? Thanks.
I have been going back and fourth for months on what to do with my truck. My 226 was last rebuilt in the mid 70s and had sat for 12 to 15 years prior to my purchase. It would turn over but all the valves were stuck open when I purchased the truck. While trying to get it running the flywheed came loose and messed up the threads in the crankshaft. Upon inspection I found a big washer/spacer that goes under the flywheel bolts was missing and also the locking wire. I found a spacer and some bolts at Red's, tapped out the holes and to my suprise the bolts torqued up to 65 lbs. I have been driving the truck as my only driver sense January, when I first started driving it was using a quart of oil every 60 miles or so. At last oil change I added some oil additive and it has really helped, it has been using/leaking very little now. I just can't complain about that engine it just runs and runs, oil pressure is 20 at idle, 55-60 above idle.
I had thoughts of going to a 8BA, I even purchased a Fenton dual manifold with two 94s for it. But I just haven't found a decent block upon which to build. I got lucky and came across a 254 Flathead 6 which I purchased and plan to install it after I go through it. I'm checking out an S-10 5 speed I purchased last night, and getting ready to install it once I get all the pieces together. I found a guy that sells the adaptor to put the trans on the orginal ring and bell housing off the 4 speed trans. E-mail me and I will send you the information and pictures I have on his aluminum adapter.
Look on Ebay, or any of the used book vendors on line for California Bill's Speed Manual. It's around you shouldn't have any problem finding it.

Old 10-24-2005, 12:21 PM
j gibbs
Senior User
This may sound naive, how many gears does a C4 have? Is it a 3 speed or a 4 speed with OD? What is the ratio of the highest gear? What models/years of cars or trucks used the C4? How can you tell a C4 from a C5 or any other automatic?

This is a little off the subject, but what kind of shifter setups can be used on an outomatic. I ask because I was thinking it would be cool to have floor shifter with a tall handle that looked like the stock manual shifter. I like the bench seat, so I don't want a console to raise the shifter up and a column shifter wouldn't look right. Thanks.

Quick Reply: transmission question for 226 flathead 6