Ford 534 pieces and demensions

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 06:48 PM
beegeezy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford 534 pieces and demensions

Does anyone know what carb came on the 534? and what is the bore size? I thought that it was like 4in or something of that nature.Im going to be putting it into a truck, and hop it up. Ive decided to use the 534 over the other motors because its different, and everyone has done a 460. Plus, I have a 534 in my yard that runs, as a 460 I would have to buy, and I could spend that money on the 534 and have something a whole lot cooler.Im also all about things that are different.

Old 09-13-2005, 07:33 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!
Stick around someone will be by shortly to answer your question.
We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 09-13-2005, 08:36 PM
beegeezy
New User
thanks for the welcome, tim.

Old 09-13-2005, 10:35 PM
Kruse
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by beegeezy
Does anyone know what carb came on the 534? and what is the bore size? I thought that it was like 4in or something of that nature.Im going to be putting it into a truck, and hop it up. Ive decided to use the 534 over the other motors because its different, and everyone has done a 460. Plus, I have a 534 in my yard that runs, as a 460 I would have to buy, and I could spend that money on the 534 and have something a whole lot cooler.Im also all about things that are different.
I hate to rain on your parade, but just consider my advice one way to save yourself a little money. Scratch that, a lot of money.
First, remember the 534 weighs about 1100 lbs. Your 460 weighs about a third less. Second, you can get stroker kits that will put your 460 over the 534 ci barrier. Third, where are you going to get speed parts for the 534? There are no speed parts for the 534. NONE. A high lift camshaft? You grind it yourself. An Edelbrock intake for your 534? Don't make us laugh. High compression pistons? Nada. High flowing heads? The design of this engine is poor by todays standards. I could go on and on, but you get the point.
One more thing to remember: The top RPM for the 534 MIGHT be 3300.
Now compare all the points I have posted against the 460 and there is no comparison.
The 534 was a great engine.......back when gas was $.20 a gallon and the huge truck that it powered topped out at 50 MPH, going down a steep hill.

If you have LOTS of money to spend and want to be different, buy a BOSS 429 or a SOHC 427. You will get much more attention and be way different.

Old 09-14-2005, 05:23 PM
beegeezy
New User
I would be grinding a cam, getting pistons made, along with a crank and rods. For the intake I will be getting a hilborn style individual stack fuel injection. For the heads, Im not sure what I would do yet, as I have not seen them off of the motor yet. and I do not have a 460, I was saying that I would have to buy one, and I would rather have the 534. Is the block of the 534 any good for high rpm, high load applications?

Old 09-16-2005, 01:48 AM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,585 Likes on 1,292 Posts
Read the "vital statistics" and the "what and when" threads.

Old 09-16-2005, 11:48 PM
Henry Floored
New User

Do the 534! The bore size is 4.5" if memory serves me correctly. The carb is a 600 cfm Holley I believe. What year is your 534? The earlier ones had a siamesed type intake port system, while the later ones were individual intake ports. The cylinder heads are flat on the combustion chamber side and the quench area is formed by the deck milled at an angle realitive to the top of the piston. Without getting too scientific and costly I'd work to improve the power to weight ratio first. Toss everything you can that relates to heavy truck use. Things like a lightweight performance aircleaner, small alternator, cut weight and grooves off the cast iron pullies, tubular steel exhaust manifolds etc. Next get that huge flywheel off and adapt a C6 trans and maybe use a flexplate from a 430- 462 Lincoln MEL engine. A bit more compression would be nice, you'll have to go custom on these. While you're at it you can lose some reciprocating weight by replacing those fully skirted truck pistons with lighter custom ones. The cam is gear driven and turns opposite of crank rotation. I'll bet Isky could regrind your cam using some hi- perf 430 Lincoln specs (these engines are related in design but share very few parts). While you're waiting for the custom parts clean up the heads and open up the ports a little. Maybe if you're lucky some off the shelf aftermarket valves and springs will adapt to the 534. Last I'd try and fab up a perf intake manifold, maybe like the old "log" style used in the 50's with six or eight deuces on it. Have fun, be different and post some pictures along the way.

Old 09-17-2005, 12:24 AM
beegeezy
New User
Thank you HF, youve been a great help!!! I plan to have a hilborn style stack injection made for it, custom pistons made so I can bore it over a little bit. Im also going to get a custom lightweight crank made for it. what is the longest stroke I can go? and a c6 trans will fit? I plan to do the regular mods, though. a custom exhaust system(about 4in) port and polish, and, do you know some stronger rods that would fit it? Or will they have to be custom too?

Old 09-17-2005, 10:03 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe there were some performance-oriented 534's used in the marine field. Do some looking there, and you may find something. Also, forced induction can overcome quite a few cylinder head deficiencies...

Personally, I'd build up a 390. Plenty of power, less weight than a 460, and it wont cost you 1/10th of what I think this 534 build is going to cost you. Plus, how many FE's do you see any more? FE's just exude cool, and I'd go that way.

But if you do this 534 build, and do it right, it will be almost the ultimate in cool.

Old 09-17-2005, 10:21 PM
beegeezy
New User
I have been seriously contemplating a twin turbo setup as a big power adder. with a stroked crank I should have the cubes to push some big screws. One question, though, would forced induction work with the hilborn stacks? I like the look of the stacks, and would like to be able to keep them after the twin screws are put on.

Old 09-17-2005, 10:50 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Forced induction into Hilborn stacks?

I'm sorry, but do you know anything about motors or are you just looking at some pictures of old hot rods and thinking all that stuff will work on a 534?

Feel free to call me names.....

Old 09-18-2005, 12:06 PM
Kruse
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
Forced induction into Hilborn stacks?

I'm sorry, but do you know anything about motors or are you just looking at some pictures of old hot rods and thinking all that stuff will work on a 534?

Feel free to call me names.....
Call me names also, but......... You can't get good idle with Hilborn stacks.
Hilborn stacks are for high RPM. The terms "high RPM" and "534 Ford" cannot be used in the same sentence. A blower would be nice, but the blower manifold would have to be made from scratch. This is my last post on this subject. Gawd, it must be nice to have all the dollars needed for this wishful buildup. My advice to the original poster is to take some post-high school automotive classes. When you find out the theory of the automotive engine and what EACH piece does and does not do, THEN build up your engine. You'll save yourself a bunch of money and headaches.

Old 09-18-2005, 06:51 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been seriously contemplating a twin turbo setup as a big power adder. with a stroked crank I should have the cubes to push some big screws. One question, though, would forced induction work with the hilborn stacks? I like the look of the stacks, and would like to be able to keep them after the twin screws are put on.
I wouldn't. If I were you, I'd look into one of those Holley universal electronic fuel injection systems, where you weld in the fuel injector bungs into the intake. Take a 534 intake, weld in the injectors, stick the 1000cfm throttle body on top, run your piping from an intercooled centrifugal blower, and go. Of course there would be a lot more to it than that, like programming the EFI system. I think it could be done.

Old 09-19-2005, 04:10 PM
beegeezy
New User
I didnt want to actually use hilborn stacks, just something that style with individual runners for each cylinder. Im not calling names, you just didnt understand what I was asking because of the way I stated it.

Old 09-20-2005, 12:59 AM
85e150
Super Moderator
You like the look of Hilborn stacks, as most of us do. For 25 cents or less, what is the purpose of a Hilborn stack? What is the purpose of a turbocharger? How does a Hilborn stack or similar looking induction system work?

It's great to run theorys up the flag pole here, but for your theory to survive, it has to have some sound basis.

If you read through the threads on these engines, you will find no basis for building a 534 in the manner you are thinking. Some marine engines have benefitted from turbos, but still ran at fairly low rpm. While fine for the application, they were pretty mild power wise.

Quick Reply: Ford 534 pieces and demensions