Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-01-2002, 01:58 PM
Postmaster

Jermafenser has a good reputation on FTE.Jermafenser has a good reputation on FTE.Jermafenser has a good reputation on FTE.
How to replace kingpin?

Old 08-19-2002, 12:49 PM
New User

lildevilmc3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
How to replace kingpin?

What is the best way to change a kingpin? '73 F-100, 2wd. Front right kingpin appears to be worn. I've been told to heat up the assembly it holds together and pound it out and heat the assembly and pound it back in. The other approach is to heat it up and use a hydraulic jack to push it up and out and heat it up and push the new one in. What are yall's thoughts on this?
Shout out to Franklin2 for his help with my seized rear axle bearing, Thanks!!
Old 08-19-2002, 01:26 PM
Posting Legend

Torque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to behold
How to replace kingpin?

Don't use heat on steering/suspension components. The parts are heat treated for strenght and toughness. Hammering destroys bearings and bushings. Components must be pressed into place using the proper tools and techniques.

Pull the whole I beam assy and take it to a shop for service. When the kingpin is installed the bushings must be replaced and reamed to size with a $pecial reamer. This is not a do-it-yourself project unless you have the tools, equipment, and knowledge. Even then it is a lot of work!

Old 08-19-2002, 01:39 PM
Posting Guru

tetraruby is starting off with a positive reputation.
How to replace kingpin?

Ditto, on Eric's advice. Been there done that. For starters, you'll never get enough heat supplied to the pin to do anything. Have you tried removing it yet. I did mine (5/01 - and there are few posts - do a search) and one pin came out easily with some light tapping, the other pin was bent and had to be removed with an impact hammer. The whole job is a bear. 1st, try to remove the pin, if you can and bring the spindle into a shop to have new bushings installed - get the metal ones, don't fart around with the plastic ones. If you can't get the pin to come out easily, save your self the headache, & drop the entire I beam...while you're at it have the pivot bushing replaced too.
Old 08-19-2002, 01:39 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1948, 79, bushings, change, f150, ford, international, king, kingpin, kingpins, kinpin, pin, remove, replace, truck