Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-07-2005, 12:55 PM
New User

Vandiyan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Rattling in the Back

I am having a slight rattling in my 1999 F-150 when I am stopped and in drive. The only time the rattling happens is when I turn the stearing wheel to the left and to the right. I figured the sound would come from underneath the front but it comes from the back under the bed. Anyone have any idea on what this might be. I just had a lot of work done underneath on the bed of the truck (a little over 1500 worth) so I am thinking it may have something to do with that. I can maybe try and see if I can get the work sheet that they gave me when the work was done so I can post the details and maybe that might help you experts.

I looked at the work order from back in February and they did a huge overhaul on the rear diff. Looks like a lot of work was also done on the axles as well. Thought this might help a bit.

Last edited by Vandiyan; 09-07-2005 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:22 PM
Posting Guru

A_G is starting off with a positive reputation.
someone might have left a old socket up in there...
Old 09-07-2005, 07:23 PM
Postmaster

triton_2002 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Check the lug nuts and under the truck for any loose cables or lines? If it's kind of a grinding sound, might be the u-joints.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:22 PM
New User

Vandiyan is starting off with a positive reputation.
It is not a grinding sound. Ill check for some loose bolts or something. I was hoping it might be something simple like that. Thanks for the replys.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:11 PM
Posting Legend

preppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud of
May sound weird, but one time I had a 1999 acura and I heard a terrible sound coming from under the passenger floorboard, well a long story short, it ended up being a dumb rubber ball rolling around in the side pocket of the door that I missed because it was black and the door panel was black! Hopefully for you it is something dumb like that!
Old 09-11-2005, 08:31 PM
New User

DieselR6 is starting off with a positive reputation.
You know...I had a rattle sound that was riving me nuts also...it was coming from the back...but mine was when i hit a bump...had nothing to do with turning...but for everyone out there....it turned out to be the little metal locks that the rear leaf springs have at the ends...one came loose and started making a hell of a noise.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:41 AM
Senior User

murph1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
more than likely a converter sheild that has come loose or the welds have broken,or tranny lines bumping each other..or on the motor itself..mine did that after dealer changed out bad converters..e/brake cables..hitch insert or the pin that holds it..or a small rock /socket stuck someplace where it should not be...good luck..
Old 09-15-2005, 11:41 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150