Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-06-2005, 07:32 PM
Posting Guru

Fire Rooster is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Biodiesel.... again

So really who is using bio? I am seriously considering brewing my own. Just want to know who else is doing it and who is using Biodiesel now and how long, have they been running it through their trucks?
Old 09-06-2005, 07:43 PM
Senior User

bhiggins is starting off with a positive reputation.
tons of people are running bio..i just started my processor up and been running b50

I know i'm not supposed to advertise for another group but Diesel Stop has a whole section with people who run PSD's on Bio.

one more good source of info is
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=447609751

I love the stuff......and for about a $1 a gallon you can't beat it
Old 09-06-2005, 07:48 PM
Posting Guru

edub32 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm real close to get into biodiesel but I've got to figure out a few things first. The first thing that I'm dealing with is setting up an agreement with a restaurant for oil. I then should figure out how much oil I'm going to be needing each week. Anyone have any tips/suggestions on how to approach an oil "supplier"..? I think it'd be a little awkward at first asking for 20 gallons of oil.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:50 PM

cookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant future
f250juggernaut
I'm on my second tank of biodiesel....not the home brewed variety. Engine sounds better and gets a tick better milage.
79 Bronco Ranger XLT.. used be the driver, now waiting to become the project.
96 Grand Marquis LS... 25 mpg commuter
Old 09-06-2005, 08:00 PM
Senior User

you really get some wierd looks when you go to look for places to get oil. My suggestion is to try samples from different places to make sure you got good oil. I've seen people put together a broucher explaining what biodiesel is and the renewable energy benifits. I thought i had it made when i collected my first batch. I ended up with 55 gallons of wvo and LOTS OF WATER. not good. if you can get them to put it back in the orginal container you got it made OR you can put a drum out for ONLY fry greese and NOT grill stuff then go and collect

hope this helps

Brandon
Old 09-06-2005, 08:40 PM
Posting Guru

Fire Rooster is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Any others? Looking for some long term users and their thoughts also more on the blends? Anyone running b100? or 100% bio? Also at what temps should I begin to worry about gelling? I have seen info on blended temps but not for 100% gelling temps. Can I add diesel kleen to it to prevent the gelling? Sorry just cannot find these answers anywhere, without any bias.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:18 PM
Elder User

vancouverpower is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have got some funny looks myself trying to get started with bio. I have the 55 gallon drums, pumps and valves but I'm having a hard time finding a used/burned up water heater. Everybody I ask for one thinks I'm trying to build a bomb!

Here is a good link to help you get going. I just ordered a book from Girl Mark

http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/index.php
Old 09-06-2005, 09:39 PM
Senior User

I think i really hit the jack pot with my reactor........it was used in a cotton mill to mix dye

175 gallon already has a mixer plumbed in and drains

shop the scrap yards and talk to the guy who see's it all come in and have him call you when he see's one
Old 09-07-2005, 03:53 AM
Senior User

chapguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm not setting up to make it but just ran my first tanks from the pump and MAN do I like it so far. Not sure on mpg's yet but it sure is quieter! And ya gotta love helping a farmer these days.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:45 PM
Freshman User

DaveK88 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bio

Hi Guys
My wife owns a resturant. I thought I would take advantage of her and steal her used oil to use in my powerstroke. The only problem is she only go's through 8 to 10 gal. a week. I normally use 25-30 gals of fuel myself per week. Can diesel fuel be mixed with the bio at a 50/50 mix? Has anyone dont this? I would need to find 3 other resturants willing to give me there oil to make this work.

Thanks for your Time
Old 09-07-2005, 07:00 PM
Elder User

F0rdF0rever is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes, you can mix the bio with regular diesel.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:00 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels