1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 04:06 PM
screwloose2
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 302 forn in a 1949 f1 , my headers clear the origonal steering box by about 3/8 in . Does anyone know if the toyota 4x4 box would make it without changing my headers ??
thanks
screwloose2

Old 09-05-2005, 05:09 PM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi and welcome to FTE! Be sure to read this to help you around this site: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=300691 There are also State Chapters located near the bottom of the main forum page.

I moved your thread to this forum. Might get some more help here.

See ya on the boards!

-Matt

Old 09-05-2005, 08:03 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well screwloose, you'll fit right in here. Welcome to the forum. I'm sure some of the folks with expertise in the area of steering boxes, etc. will stop by and give you some information. While you wait, use the forum search function to check out what's already in the archives. Click on Search, then on Advanced Search. Choose the 1948-1960 Forum in the lower-right list box. Then search for something like

+Toyota +steering +clearance

That should give you some good threads to look through.

When you get a minute, read the sticky threads at the top of the forum and set up your gallery. We all love to look at pictures of these old trucks.

Old 09-06-2005, 10:20 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
Welcome screwloose!!

The toyota box (from 79-85 4x4 trucks) is almost identical in size and shape to the original box. When I was contemplating installing mine the box cleard my exhaust but the hoses would be very tight. I am running a 500ci Caddy engine though.

I would take some careful measurements and see what it looks like. I can measure the toyota box when I get home this evening if that will help you any.

I went a little unconventional on mine, I mounted the box up ahead of the axle.

Bobby

Old 09-06-2005, 01:11 PM
screwloose2
Junior User
thanks bobby !! assuming the toyota box will get mounted in the same position as the origonal one . the origonal box high point is about 1/4/inch above the top of the frame . From the outside edge of the frame i have about 6 5/8 " to play with until i hit the headers . If you could take a quick measurment that would be great . If you know of any other problems in the swap let me know please . I am also thinking about using a toyota mr2 electric pump or something similar , any opinion on that ??
thanks
jeff screwloose2@cfl.rr.com

Old 09-06-2005, 01:37 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Jeff,
I'll measure my box this evening. Hopefully someone else around here will do the same, like I said, I mounted mine in front of the axle (I think I have some pics in my gallery).
I don't know what I'm going to do for the pump yet. I'm not sure how much different the pressures are between my GM pump and the toyota box. I do know that on the GM pumps you can adjust the pressure so I'm hoping I can tweak it.
At the start of the summer I had big plans on having this thing up and running with everything operational (I have driven it around the block a few times but not with the pump hooked up to the box) but somewhere along the way life happened. I still havent even had the hoses made yet.

Bobby

Old 09-06-2005, 04:06 PM
screwloose2
Junior User
thanks bobby

You can put a aftermarket pressure regulator on it ! How does it steer without the power hooked up ??? How do i find your gallery ??
Jeff

Old 09-06-2005, 04:14 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Jeff, just click on my user name (or anybody elses also) a menu will come up, scroll down to view gallery and click on it.

Is there an aftermarket pressure regulator for power steering?? I know PS runs approx 1200psi. The regulator on the GM pump is right at the pressure fitting at the rear of the pump. Its been years since I overhauled one but I remember them as being adjustable..I hope

It actually steered pretty good without the power hooked up, but I don't have any of the front sheetmetal in place either so its not a weight.

Bobby

Old 09-07-2005, 01:28 PM
screwloose2
Junior User
bobby

i forgot where i saw the regulator but i will run into it sooner or later . i saw the pictures of your box set up . doing it that way their is a ton of clearance , looks good !! did you use borgensen joints and shaft ? I am hoping to get some pictures and feedback from some other members . Their is a ton on info on the toyota box but not much on clearance .
thanks jeff

Old 09-07-2005, 02:08 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heidts offer a power steering pressure regulator (or adjustable valve). They also sell a mounting kit that has fittings and hose which seems to be worth the price....(I am waiting for mine to arrive).

Old 09-07-2005, 02:37 PM
screwloose2
Junior User
your right

I saw it on Classic Performance website

Old 09-08-2005, 10:16 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Jeff,

Thanks. I might have a bit of a problem on a hard right turn, the tire might hit the draglink. At the steering box there is the stock toyota rag joint, at the column i used a couple of steering "U" joints from a wrecking yard that I believe are from a van. I couldn't afford the $75 a pop for borgensen (my checkbook just couldn't do it).

I did a bit of measuring last night, the toyo box might be a little tight for you. You said you had 6 5/8" clearance from the outside of the frame, the toyota box is almost 7". But that 7" is the maximum and is lower on the box at the rear of the pitman shaft area and not up near where the steering column shaft attaches. (I hope that makes sense)

Bobby

Old 09-09-2005, 06:54 AM
screwloose2
Junior User
toyota box

Bobby
thanks what i think i will do is search for a junk yard box , put it in and take the truck to a exhaust guy and have him modify the headers . It seems like the easiest solution without breaking the bank . Sorry to here about your trans leak ! My c4 slips going into 3rd so thats next after i finish the disc brakes .
jeff

Old 09-09-2005, 07:12 AM
mt54
Posting Guru
Screwloose,
Welcome, its always nice to a few loose screws.....
Mike

Old 09-10-2005, 04:53 PM
screwloose2
Junior User
If i didnt have a bunch of loose screws i wouldnt still be fooling with old cars and trucks !!

Quick Reply: new member