Aerostar Ford Aerostar

O2 Sensors, How many and where?

Old 09-13-2005, 01:49 PM
Bear River
Former ******
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't mind working on my Aero. It got much easier to work on once I got rid of that stupid plastic cover over the throttle components. Really opens it up in there. I've never had much trouble, except the first time I did plugs. The second time I replaced the plugs, it was a piece of cake. I had them changed out and everything cleaned up in about 20 minutes. (15 minutes of actual work.) Working on the AC was a bit difficult, as the tubes are difficult to get out of the system.Also had to remove other componenets to get at them. I installed an R-12 elbow on the acumulator chargeing port, and it made it easier to get at. The heater hose has blown several times. It always managed to get loose and find its way to the fan or pulleys. I had to zip tie it to guarantee that it couldn't happen again. Didn't matter how I routed it, it somehow would get loose. Now I need to fix the power steering (not looking forward to that one.)

Old 09-13-2005, 08:18 PM
krankshaft
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 96 3.0 I only see one sensor before the cat are there any others?

Old 09-13-2005, 09:19 PM
focusyn
Junior User
[QUOTE=khantyranitar]I don't mind working on my Aero. It got much easier to work on once I got rid of that stupid plastic cover over the throttle...

What's the deal with that thing anyway? Why is it there? I can think of no good reason except as a heat shield or a water shield.

Old 09-13-2005, 09:20 PM
focusyn
Junior User
Originally Posted by krankshaft
I have a 96 3.0 I only see one sensor before the cat are there any others?
My 93 3.0 had only that one sensor, but since 1995 saw the introduction of OBD-II, your 96 might have more.

Old 09-13-2005, 09:25 PM
krankshaft
Elder User
Thanks I'll check out my Ford CD and see if there are any additional sensors.

As for the throttle cover I removed that plastic piece of crap when I first replaced my plugs and never put it back.

Maybe its because if water falls on on the throttle linkage and freezes while your driving it can freeze the throttle open?

I can't figure out any other reason.

Old 09-13-2005, 10:38 PM
93nighthawk
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks I'll check out my Ford CD and see if there are any additional sensors.
One of the OBD-II requirements is to monitor the cats effectiveness. The first O2 in line also gives the computer air/fuel mixture. The second one just used to compare results after the cat to the first. If both are the same or way off, it will throw a code, but will not effect performance.

As for the throttle cover I removed that plastic piece of crap when I first replaced my plugs and never put it back.

Maybe its because if water falls on on the throttle linkage and freezes while your driving it can freeze the throttle open?

I can't figure out any other reason.
I can think of two, looks (have you looked in the engine bay of a newer Caddy or Dodge, giant plastic covers over the engine,) and to protect the throttle body from freezing. I remembebr in High school (late 80s) In the morning it was warm out and all the snow was melting and it was very humid, then the wind picked up and the temp dropped to -40. I was in class during this time, but when I went out to go home, my throttle had frozen wide open on my '84 Tempo. I had to dump warm water on it so the cable would release so I would not blow the engine.

Old 09-15-2005, 06:31 AM
tomucen
Senior User
Just changed my O2 sensor over the weekend. I had to go to a DIY shop so I could lift the van and work underneath to get the right grip. A box wrench with a steel bar did the job just fine.
You can get the box wrench on the sensor without cutting the wires. All you have to do is to cut of a little plastic "bridge" that is preventing the box wrench slipping over the round connector. That little plastic part is not really important, you can connect safely the sensor and drive around.
The star is happy now with the new sensor, in the end, it ran like crap.

Old 09-20-2005, 03:07 PM
xuzme720
Elder User
with the aero's reputation for underhood heat, does this REALLY seem like it could happen?!? of course this is from the same guys that QUIT making the aero.
anyway I chucked that darn cover and never looked back...plus it just doesn't get that cold here.
BTW I don't mind working on mine really...I just think it's funny to b**ch about it

Last edited by xuzme720; 09-20-2005 at 03:11 PM.