1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

An Update

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 10:23 PM
Gear Up
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An Update

Earlier this summer I told you all that I had a young man working with me. It was one of the best summers I've had in a long time. He had a work ethic like I haven't seen in a long time. He kept me going and helped me stay orinized in my work. He helped me find the creativity that I had lost after Joey passed away. He told me he enjoyed the summer as well and when he is home at Christmas time he would be willing to help complete an aircraft that is planned at that time. Yes guys there are wonderful people out there and as far as the young people are concerned we need to encourage them and help them develop along the way. Take care and hang in there.

Gear Up

Old 09-03-2005, 10:37 PM
hotrod48
Elder User
That's good to hear. I'm a young person myself (18) and enjoy working with the older hot rodders. I enjoy their stories and tips and tricks from the past. The majority of my buddies are in there 50's and 60's and used to be old drag racers and hot rodders, in fact many of them still are. The majority of the kids my age these days just don't understand old cars and trucks.

hotrod48

Old 09-03-2005, 11:01 PM
Goobzilla
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gear Up:

That's great news, he sounds like a heck of a nice young man.

Just like a workout buddy, project buddies can really help you stay focused. I have a couple "virtual" project buddies via e-mail and keeping up my 'blog helps to keep my eyes on the prize. Most of the guys I know aren't really into turning wrenches, so most of the time I'm on my own. If anyone's close to me and wants to help or wants me to help with their projects, it's a done deal. I'm no expert, but I know a few things and I'm always willing to share my "expertise"

Ron

Old 09-04-2005, 01:09 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Gear Up - You betcha. When you find a willing student, mentor them! I've had a couple of those in my job and its pretty swell.

Goobzilla - I hear you. I have pretty much the same situation. Most of my friends are into other stuff and a few like what I do on my project, but aren't much into helping out.

I, too have a couple of "virtual" buddies (FF56 for one) who are invaluable for info and motivation. I try to be of value that way too.

One of the activities that the SoCal FTE'ers talk about is helping each other on their projects. I've been over to Kieth's (Kieth56_cruz_cab) and worked on his 56 once and he and Ed Oe (EdsF100) have been here. Its a great way to spend a day.

Old 09-04-2005, 08:39 PM
JoeSwing78
Senior User
I wish that I could find someone around me that would take on an "intern" kinda deal. Unfortunately my Dad is not a car guy at all, my gramps has a 1950 Chevy fully restored show quality, and my Dads friend has a 50k plus investment in a big window F100. The only thing for me is that they only took it from shop to shop and never really turned a wrench on their rides themselves. I really want to learn more about working on my truck but its a little tuff without having someone to work with. Maybe I'll bug some local shops to let me tag along, although most of the "hot rod" shops I've seen or dealt with the owners and mechanics are very ego'ish. Thats awesome you get to mentor someone like that... there are some things I'd really like to tackle like brakes and other things but am a little scared to start myself! =)

Old 09-04-2005, 08:46 PM
Madathlon
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Id take U on ur offer.. but I think ur kinda far to teach ya

Originally Posted by JoeSwing78
I wish that I could find someone around me that would take on an "intern" kinda deal. Unfortunately my Dad is not a car guy at all, my gramps has a 1950 Chevy fully restored show quality, and my Dads friend has a 50k plus investment in a big window F100. The only thing for me is that they only took it from shop to shop and never really turned a wrench on their rides themselves. I really want to learn more about working on my truck but its a little tuff without having someone to work with. Maybe I'll bug some local shops to let me tag along, although most of the "hot rod" shops I've seen or dealt with the owners and mechanics are very ego'ish. Thats awesome you get to mentor someone like that... there are some things I'd really like to tackle like brakes and other things but am a little scared to start myself! =)

Old 09-04-2005, 08:49 PM
Goobzilla
Elder User
Hang in there Joe, you'll find some car buddies. I think the biggest hangup for most people starting out is the "FUD Factor"--Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt. I used to be scared that whatever I was doing wasn't going to turn out right, so I never started. Finally I realized that if something didn't work, you could always start over and try again. I went to put my front axle back on the frame today and spent a couple hours installing it. After high fiving myself I realized that I left some parts off and the whole thing is coming back off. 5 years ago I'd have thrown a wrench across the shop and swore all day. Now I just shake my head and laugh at how stupid I can be sometimes. Oh well gives me something to do on Tuesday.

Ron

Old 09-04-2005, 10:49 PM
JoeSwing78
Senior User
Thanks for the comments guys! I have a few car buddies but they around my age, I always wanted to work with someone older who knows the right way to work on things, as opposed to backyard mechanic kinda stuff. I might attempt a few things but we shall see. I program and build websites for a living and always go, "Shoot I can write code, I'm sure I can figure out how to drop on some disc brakes, or install a new column etc.... While I respect that people spend lots of $$ to have showcars.. I dig it more when someone actually worked on their car. Remember bumps and scrapes and also the pride of saying " Yeah I built this".

If I can work it into my school schedule, I might take some auto classes in like adult school but we'll see. =) The only thing I really want to do now to my ride and want to do myself it lower it, disc brakes, and maybe a power steering setup. I've worked on my daily alot but this is a whole different beast! I'll keep ya'll posted.

Old 09-04-2005, 11:02 PM
hotrod48
Elder User
I understand where you are coming from Joe, except my dad is a car guy. My dad and I have done 99% of the work on my truck (I don't like other people working on my stuff, it costs too much money). I have learned a whole from him and his buddies but I still want to learn more. The only problem with that is here in Oklahoma there aren't to many hot rod shops, but I would love to hang around one and even work for one. So any hot rod shops in Oklahoma looking for a quick learning young guy here I am.

hotrod48

Old 09-06-2005, 10:32 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,832 Likes on 1,833 Posts
Gear Up, That is great that you have a younger person to mentor, As you said it realy helps, both him and you. Glad to hear that things are still going great in that regard.

Hotrod48, I've always been a car guy too. Dad was into cars but not excessively so. It seems liek I've always had a project or two since I was about 13. That is neat that you have some of the ol timers that you can hang out with. When I was a teen there where a couple of the older guys wheo wouldn't even give you the time of day. I always remebered that and vowed I'd never be that way. When a younger person (or any person) shows some interest in what I am doing I always try and take the time to answer whatever questions they may have.

There are great people in this world, despite what the media is always telling us.

Bobby

Old 09-06-2005, 10:43 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Bobby - Amen to that!

My Dad was a hotrodder in his youth, but for some warped reason, never wanted me to help work on his cars. Later, when I finally got into it (3 years ago), I hooked up with a local club of guys who had been doing this stuff forever. I thought I had it made. But, turns out that they are pretty much a closed club that just thinks any question has an unforgivable "stupid" quotient attached.

Like you, I take any time to pass on what I know to an eager mind and to encourage them. I would still be wishing and hoping if it weren't for this forum, its members, and my "virtual" truck builder buddies.

And, how 'bout that media? What passes for news is amazing to me.

Old 09-06-2005, 10:57 AM
hotrod48
Elder User
My dad has been a car guy all is life. His first car was a '68' Chevelle. In high school he took auto body and now he is teaching it. He now has a '31' Model A Townsedan with a 289. I try to go to car shows or cruise-ins every weekend just to see my car buddies. The one I see most who is like a grandpa to me has a '40' Ford Deluxe Tudor Sedan and he used to race AA gas back in the '60's. I enjoy listening to him and his old buddies telling old stories and hassling each other.

My neighbor who is 25 is always asking me for advice and help on his stuff. He enjoys old cars and trucks but can't really afford one right now, so he hangs around my stuff and enjoys it!

hotrod48

Old 09-06-2005, 11:07 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Thanks Randy,

When I was a kid, like most boys I had trading cards, but there were no sports guys, or baseball or any of that stuff on my cards. I had trading cards of hotrods, kustoms, drag racers, etc (anybody remember those?? and that terrible pink gum that came in the package?) Dad had a 48 Mercury convertible that we put a 371 Olds with a 6pack and 4 spd auto tranny in.
My 1st car (that I could really drive) was a 67 dodge Charger, mom's grocery getter was a 66 Dodge Charger that we bought from my Grandpa. I love cars! all makes and models (mostly)

Randy, you've touched on what makes this forum so great, virtual truck buddies. It sure helps to get tips, tricks, advice, ribbing, consolation, ribbing, pictures, ribbing, etc, etc, etc from this great group of people and the well of experience that they bring to the table.

Don't get me started on the media.......AAAGH

The only bad thing about virtual truck buddies is virtual frosty beverages.........they are just not the same

Bobby

Old 09-06-2005, 11:43 AM
hotrod48
Elder User
I had a few of the cards. I think I'm a little young to have had too many. They were mainly Nascar guys but I think a few had some drag racers on them. That gum was horrible. I recently (Probably 2-3 years ago) got a pack of some made by upper deck or some big card manufacturer that had racers from dirt track to drag racing. There was no gum included.

hotrod48

Old 09-06-2005, 12:17 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
I also had alot of the cards that had toons of cars in the Ed "Big Daddy" Roth style. I don't know what happened to them all, they sure would be neat to have today

Bobby