Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Alternative Fuels, Hybrids & Mileage
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-01-2005, 04:52 PM
Senior User

dorkpunch is starting off with a positive reputation.
totally bizarre alternatives to fuel crisis?

Any one got any? Heres mine:

1. Convert conventional engines into steam engines- have boilers forcing steam into the cylinders to turn the engine.

2. Build tons of "mini-refiners" in cities- haul crude to the refinery, have it refined, and buy the gas direct from the refinery

3. (heard this one somewhere else here... ) Put a lift kit on the back of your car so its always going down hill.

4. rats. i had another one but i forgot it. i'll add it later.

So, i'm not saying that any of these will work, just thought it would be interesting to hear everyones insane ideas to cope.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:09 PM
Junior User

FORD_LOVER is starting off with a positive reputation.
get corn from local elevator and distill some ethanol. Then run a mixture in your truck. It would only be a litte on the high side of the octane scale. but hey you can also drink the excess ethanol.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:10 PM
Senior User

kwob is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkpunch
Any one got any? Heres mine:

1. Convert conventional engines into steam engines- have boilers forcing steam into the cylinders to turn the engine.
I don't know if that is possible...but if it is, what would you fire the boilers with?
"Rowe's Rule: the odds are five to six that the light at the end of the tunnel is the headlight of an oncoming train."
Old 09-01-2005, 05:26 PM
Senior User

wood from the rainforests.....
Old 09-01-2005, 06:12 PM
Senior User

Fred R is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
3. (heard this one somewhere else here... ) Put a lift kit on the back of your car so its always going down hill.
Pair that one with "Eat a lot of beans so you always have the wind at your back" and you'd be unstoppable!
Old 09-01-2005, 07:22 PM
Post Fiend

MustangGT221 has a good reputation on FTE.MustangGT221 has a good reputation on FTE.MustangGT221 has a good reputation on FTE.
No political discussion on the forums
Old 09-01-2005, 07:42 PM
Senior User

E350superduty is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD_LOVER
. but hey you can also drink the excess ethanol.
or make moonshine shooters with jello.
carpet delete
capitains chairs with console
1.5" lift
Old 09-01-2005, 08:55 PM
Junior User

fxrscotty is starting off with a positive reputation.
Walk to the store for beer?
Old 09-01-2005, 09:22 PM
Posting Guru

racsan is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.racsan is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
well, we are curently occupieing a oil-producing country, think its time for a little retribution, start sending some tankers back this way full of oil!
http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...d.php?t=148057
Old 09-02-2005, 12:30 AM
Postmaster

RomerB2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Require everybody to turn their gas guzzling SUV's to Mopeds.. ok maybe not, I like my gas guzzler.

Yup!
Old 09-02-2005, 07:41 PM
Postmaster

76supercab2 has a good reputation on FTE.76supercab2 has a good reputation on FTE.76supercab2 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:

Boy, that would really bring back the age old practice of 'warming up the car'.

"Honey, go fire up the car. I need to go to town in 3 hours."

How about a giant version of the friction motors in my kid's toy cars. Just push the car backwards before you leave.

Rubber band motor with a hand crank to 'prime' the engine.

Land yacht. Big sail on top of the car.

Windmill on top of the car to generate electricity while you drive. Use the electricity to run the car. (Yes, it's a perpetual motion machine.)
Old 09-02-2005, 09:26 PM
Elder User

theshyguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Always rolling down hill. haha, I wish it'd work

We are just going to have to walk more, drive less, and have more economical vehicles and last but not least fine something other than oil. Like ethanol or more currently feasible, biodiesel.

But we could go to something like a bourke engine.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:29 PM
Senior User

E350superduty is starting off with a positive reputation.
if compressed enough, couldn't any flammable liquid run an engine?
carpet delete
capitains chairs with console
1.5" lift
Old 09-05-2005, 05:05 AM
Pestiferous Nuisance

Greywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputation
There was a time, not so long ago - when one of the big fads was large skateboards with olympic sails rigged like on a sailboard.

In the old west, there was a legend of an old sailor or sea captain who outfitted a conestoga wagon with rigging and sails.

-So it isn't that far fetched, but what happens if you have to stop suddenly???

In the Phillipines, there are two intriguing ideas. One is the "Jeepney". Old jeeps, with seats in the back for passengers that run on diesel through local areas. At each stop, pesos are passed forward to the driver. Its sort of a mini-bus system.

There are also trikes. Usually they are made out of mopeds and small CC motorbikes by adding a sidecar arrangement to them. Unlike a conventional sidecar, these are more upright, with a canopy, and have a bench style seat. Both of these are used as public transportation.

In Waikiki, and also in downtown Memphis there are "Pedi-Cabs". Sort of a combination of a bicycle, and a simple buggy (but without the horse). They are very expensive to hire though!

About a month and a half ago, I saw a horse drawn wagon going down the road near my house - but it had been modified from what we think of as one of those by the replacement of the classic wheels with car tires and rims.

In Pennsylvania the Amish people still drive horses and buggies to this very day, and one must be careful on the country roads because horses and wagons have the right of way, even though they are slow.

Now - my thoughts (recently) on an electric car would be to provide it with some solar panels to maintain the batteries, but also to convert a lawnmower engine to steam power and use it to drive a common twelve volt automobile alternater and charging system.

If the sun was out - the batteries would charge, extending the range.
If it was parked at home, the charger would be plugged in.
If a long trip was planned, load up some coal or wood to drive the generator!

But anything that simple is unlikely to be practical...

Last edited by Greywolf; 09-05-2005 at 05:17 AM.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:48 PM
Senior User

yes, greywolf, jeepneys are a good idea, but, have you ever ridden in one?!!! They are a BLAST if you go for rollercosters and that sort of thing.... but i dont think most of the people in this country would enjoy riding in them (at least, if a filipino was driving the way they do over there!) as for the trikes- i LOVED riding in those- they even had some they addapted to go down old rail road tracks with- get this- old engine bearings. they would actually use old crank bearings out of their 2 stroke bike engines as WHEELs to go down the tracks. Now that was a wild ride. all good ideas though!
Old 09-05-2005, 02:48 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Alternative Fuels, Hybrids & Mileage

Tags
boat, bonka, engines