totally bizarre alternatives to fuel crisis?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 05:37 PM
J6Szczecin
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=dorkpunch]Any one got any? Heres mine:

1. Convert conventional engines into steam engines- have boilers forcing steam into the cylinders to turn the engine.

This is not as far fetched as it may seem. External combustion engines, such as steam engines or sterling engines, have the ability to be more efficient than internal combustion engines. The theoretical maximum efficiency possible with an internal combustion engine is something like 60% where the other 40% is lost as heat. However, 30% efficiency is typical of engines that are actually possible to build. External combustion engines, on the other hand can theoretically and practically achieve efficiencies much higher than ICEs. The big drawback, as mentioned in another post is that it takes time to "warm up" the engine. With hybrid cars however this is not as much of a problem as it sounds like. The car would just run using its electric motor and batteries until the engine warmed up enough to produce power to recharge the batteries and run the motor. This would be similar to current hybrids such as the toyota prius and ford escape hybrid, where the ICE shuts off at low speeds and only the electric motors run the car. The increased efficiency of these types of engines would be a big deal and could significantly increase fuel economy. 180 mpg in a car the size of a prius?

Old 10-03-2005, 05:45 PM
J6Szczecin
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
Greywolf I got news for ya. the Amish ain't just in PA anymore we have them around here.
My current idea/project is to build a diesel electric Ranger. Currently I am collecting parts or trying to, and am trying to buy my neighbors old ranger (87 or 88 not sure) problem is he has been put into a nursing home so having trouble getting a hold of the right kid to buy it for the project.
I am thinking if I can get this to work I should be able to get atleast 80mpg (or better frankly) with a vehicle that is capable of running at hiway speeds with no real effort, and actually have some pulling ability.
I might be able to help you out on that project. I have been working on and off on the same idea for a couple of years, I just don't have the money to do it as I am a poor college student. However, I work in a lab researching power electronics and motor drives and could help you design the electric components of the system.