Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

GM discontinues support to troops

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 06:17 AM
BFR250SD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry GM discontinues support to troops

So I pick up the Middle East Edition of the "Stars and Stripes" and see a small article concerning the Overseas New Car Sales Program.

For 17 years Ford, GM, Daimler-Chrysler, and Harley-Davidson, have participated in this program which provides new vehicles to service members stationed overseas or serving in combat areas. This program allows service members to purchase a new vehicle before coming home and have it waiting for them when they return, at the dealship of there choice. They also get some special pricing on the vehicles.

GM announced that it will no longer participate in this program after December of this year. GM would not comment on why they will discontinue supporting the men and women of the armed forces, but said that it regretted the decision.

What a time to pull this crap! I mean think about what the percentage of those sales really are, probably less than 1% and that's being generous. So the next time you see a GM dealership with some great big AMERICAN flags flying, ask who they are really trying to impress, because they obviously don't support the men and women who provide them the freedom to make their money.

Thanks GM, you have officially lost a customer for life.

Old 09-01-2005, 08:50 AM
BigGunZ
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this has more to do with GM being in serious financial trouble. They simply need to cut costs where they can.

Old 09-01-2005, 08:07 PM
Elwood Blues
Junior User
While I think it is a pretty crappy place to cut corners, I feel that BigGunZ is right. They are desperate, very desperate and in todays world for them, a dime is a dime.

Old 09-01-2005, 08:55 PM
CR250Bronco
Senior User
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
i dont understand why they are in such a debt!!!! the majority of new cars driving on the roads of california (well at least in my town) are GM production vehicals! that is a bad why of saving some money though. i guess they are hurting big time. or maybe just gready like gas companies!!!

Old 09-01-2005, 09:29 PM
Louisville Joe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 113 Likes on 84 Posts
With all the incentives G.M. is giving right now, the service personel would probably pay more for the vehicle under that program than if they just went to a dealer and bought one.

Old 09-01-2005, 09:45 PM
truckman
Senior User
Old 09-01-2005, 09:56 PM
BFR250SD
Postmaster
Right, ending in Dec 2005. The ad stated 04' / '05 models.

Old 09-01-2005, 10:01 PM
AlfredB1979
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by CR250Bronco
i dont understand why they are in such a debt!!!! the majority of new cars driving on the roads of california (well at least in my town) are GM production vehicals! that is a bad why of saving some money though. i guess they are hurting big time. or maybe just gready like gas companies!!!
There have been numerous discussions about the various reasons General Mistake is where it is, but really, making about 13 rebadges of vehicles that no one can stand to look at or can afford the fuel on is one way to go into debt.

Last edited by AlfredB1979; 09-01-2005 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:04 PM
BFR250SD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Louisville Joe
With all the incentives G.M. is giving right now, the service personel would probably pay more for the vehicle under that program than if they just went to a dealer and bought one.
For the folks stationed overseas, buying an American car is like buying a BMW, Benz, or Lex here in the states. It's not jsut getting them back in the states, it's also getting them for the people stationed overseas.

Old 09-02-2005, 05:41 AM
dmp437
Elder User
Originally Posted by CR250Bronco
The average UAW worker makes $120,000 a year in wages and benefits, skilled trades make more than that and do less work. The last national contract provided for a "Jobs Bank" where laid off workers get paid their regular wages but sit and do nothing. Currently there are 5000 people in the Jobs Bank soaking up $600 million a year. Add to that NOBODY will buy their stuff without huge discounts. (I won't even buy their stuff WITH huge discounts ) That also takes away from the bottom line. Then there is the huge cost of health insurance. GM is "self-insured" so they pay the whole bill and hospitals in this area (Flint, MI) take advantage of that.
Then there is poor designs. GM comes out with a new minivan (Chevy Uplander, Buick Terraza, Saturn Relay, etc) that they invested hudreds of millions of dollars in AND IT DOESN'T HAVE A FOLD FLAT REAR SEAT. Now, only a year after production started, they are slowing the line and laying people off (more guys in the Jobs Bank) because of poor sales and that's with "Employee Pricing for Everyone". Meanwhile, Japanese minivan sales continue to rise with little or no incentives.
What were we talking about again......

Old 09-02-2005, 09:33 PM
truckman
Senior User
I would like to read a press release about this. From my vantage point it is still on track. The programs I remember were run through the PX/NEX. Is it still that way?

Old 09-02-2005, 09:51 PM
BFR250SD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by truckman
I would like to read a press release about this. From my vantage point it is still on track. The programs I remember were run through the PX/NEX. Is it still that way?
They are still in the program until December of this year. Then they will not longer participate in the program. They will continue to deliver the vehicles ordered until some time in '06. The article I found was in the Stars and Stripes, Middle East Edition.

Old 09-02-2005, 10:41 PM
truckman
Senior User
Well I would strongly recommend that you talk with several groups including;

Your state senator, the BX/PX Commander/Administrator, VFW, and GM. The only way to create change is to be the driver of change. Get a letter from each of these folks stating the importance of the program and I bet that would change their minds.

Also, here is the website for the program you are speaking of for the Overseas car-buying program - www.encs.com

If this website is being used heavily by the troops then that will change their minds.

I hope this helps. Issues of this nature are important to me, as I am an overseas Vet also. Best of luck to you on solving this problem.

Old 09-02-2005, 10:58 PM
BFR250SD
Postmaster
Truckman,

I just find it disturbing that a company, who by the way we buy / lease / rent a LOT of vehicles from, would take this action. There are more GM vehicles being used by the government / military than I dare to count. Maybe if they don't get a contract renewed for this, it will make a dent big enough that thye will see the err in their ways.

Old 09-03-2005, 01:36 AM
truckman
Senior User
Yes I also believe the VFW should write a letter. We have some strong influence as to how things are going for deployed troops. Starting with a grassroots approach is perhaps an effective way. This page for VFW lists email contacts for all 50 states.

http://www.vfw.org/index.cfm?fa=news...cid=1641&tok=1

If you were to write up a message to the VFW, that would certainly get the word stirred up. That spark would get attention especially if your message created a specific Call to Action (i.e. Call GM Headquarters, Write a letter to GM Execs, Etc).

Last edited by truckman; 09-03-2005 at 01:38 AM.

Quick Reply: GM discontinues support to troops