1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Removing a Grille

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 10:01 PM
Rich'sToys
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing a Grille

Just wondering if there is a shortcut to taking the grille out of a '59 F-350. My parts truck has a nice chrome one, and I wanted to replace the painted one in my driver truck. No matter what I've taken loose, I always find myself back under the fenderwell trying to get those bolts out from the back. From the location of some of those, I find it hard to believe that Ford put it together that way.
And of course, after 46 years of rust, they are not exactly cooperating!! I was able to get between the fender and the back of the grille with a hacksaw and cut some of the bolts off, but that has had mixed results.
Am I missing something here?
Thanks in advance!
Rich

Old 08-31-2005, 10:08 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
No, you are not missing anything - it is a major PITA to remove a grille, those years. I have dismantled three and there are no shortcuts if you want to save the front fenders too.

I wouldn't even try it on the truck - I pull the front clip and then lift and turn the assembly as needed to reach the bolts - take off the inner fender first, then the outer, and then the roll pan and core support.

There is a decent one on EBay going for $100 - I would be tempted to buy it rather than remove another one!

Old 09-01-2005, 09:41 PM
Rich'sToys
New User
Thanks, WillyB! Not the answer I was hoping for, but the one I was afraid of!! I'll keep plugging away at it. It won't matter if I wreck the fenders on the parts truck, as they're shot anyway. But I won't be able to do that on the other truck. I may have to learn how to pull the front clip as you suggested. I've never done that before, either. Anything I need to know here?
I only paid $100 for my whole parts truck. And I've already used the driveshaft, and a couple small items!

Old 09-01-2005, 10:01 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Front clips are easy - a big bolt on each side of the radiator, 3 bolts each side where the fender and cab meet, one more for the rubber mount to the inner fender and the entire assembly (fenders, core support and everything bolted to it) will lift off and out of the way. You do have to disconnect some electrical wires, and the radiator hoses.

It sure makes it easy to work on anything around the engine or front suspension.

btw, on your grille, I soak the nuts with WD40 for a few days before I start and then use a 6 point socket and the 1/2 inch impact gun - they either come off or they break. Hacksawing them seems to be the hard way.

Last edited by WillyB; 09-01-2005 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:39 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
look at this - https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...&albumid=17773

he has the front clip off, and shows it in one of his pictures.

Old 09-02-2005, 09:49 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
sometimes if you tighten the bolts they'll just snap. Otherwise, just pull the whole front clip off and its much easier to get the grill off afterwards. I just pulled the grill off a 57 in 1hour, my 1960 took 1 day. -4speed

Old 09-03-2005, 12:02 AM
Glackowitz
Senior User
I have a chrome 59 grill sitting next to my 60 chrome grille, 59 grill was from a parts truck and not going to be used.

I have pulled several 59-60 trucks apart and removing the clip first was the easiest so far ......next to torching one apart

Glack

Old 09-03-2005, 05:31 PM
Rich'sToys
New User
Thanks for the input, guys! I'm glad to know it isn't just me for a change! Once I get the grille out of my parts truck, I'll probably wait to reinstall it till I get some fenders as well. As long as I have to pull the clip, may as well take care of everything at once. Thanks again!!
Rich