Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-31-2005, 09:37 PM
New User

1poorboy69 is starting off with a positive reputation.
vegetable oil fuel??????

I live in northeast tenn, southwest va. we have run out of fuel (gas and diesel) because of the hurricane. regular gas is about $4.00 a gallon. Can i run pure vegetable oil in my 97 power stroke or do i need to mix it 50/50 with what little diesel is still available in my area. Any input will be very helpful since we do not have any fuel and it will probably be 3 to 5 days before we get any fuel back to our area.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:53 PM
Senior User

otpracer100 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I can't say for sure but I don't think you can run straight veggy without methanol.Good luck down there.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:01 PM
Senior User

JRB is starting off with a positive reputation.
Fuel

Check on the web for last weekend's Truck program, Tracy did a deal on brewing your own diesel

Again, good luck with the mess down there

jrb
Old 08-31-2005, 10:03 PM
New User

JasonJay43537 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have done alot of reading and research on converting vegetable oil into useable fuel oil and personally I wouldn't put straight VO in my truck! VO contains glycerin. Glycerin is a humectant, not to mention it can get real gummy. What's that mean? A humectant attracts moisture, that's why glycerin is used in skin products. But I think even more important is the gumming up of everything from you fuel intake tube to the injection nozzles would really suck!

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_mike.html

has some great info on making your own. It's not too difficult and you can get the oil for free from restaurants in the area! Ingredients are basic, methanol, lye and oil.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:08 PM
Postmaster

johnny8 is starting off with a positive reputation.
do yourself a favor... ride your bicycle... if you don't have one, get one... don't put that stuff in your nice clean mule... you'll just ruin it... then... when we all get through this, and we will, you still won't have a truck... just hang in there as best as you can and don't do anything stupid with your truck, you'll need it when you get fuel again... good luck man, hang in there... and God bless..!
sonnax kit
walker btm
wastgate mod
dipricol gauges
tru-cool tranny cooler
superior compressor wheel
dual valve boost fooler
Old 08-31-2005, 10:10 PM
Posting Guru

amish77 is starting off with a positive reputation.
not a consolation right now though,
perhaps ups has rush delivery....
Old 09-01-2005, 06:42 AM
Internet Brands

IB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJay43537
I have done alot of reading and research on converting vegetable oil into useable fuel oil and personally I wouldn't put straight VO in my truck! VO contains glycerin. Glycerin is a humectant, not to mention it can get real gummy. What's that mean? A humectant attracts moisture, that's why glycerin is used in skin products. But I think even more important is the gumming up of everything from you fuel intake tube to the injection nozzles would really suck!

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_mike.html

has some great info on making your own. It's not too difficult and you can get the oil for free from restaurants in the area! Ingredients are basic, methanol, lye and oil.
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! Take a moment to read the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand this site.

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

When you are down...look up...get up...and don't ever give up....
Old 09-01-2005, 11:50 AM
Freshman User

Barnacle Bill is starting off with a positive reputation.
So here comes the voice of disention. In the Alt Fuel forms there is good discussion of this topic.

One owner has 20,000 + miles and going on straight Waste Vegatable Oil. Maybe after it has been cooked the moisture is boiled out. I don't know. But I have a '96 F350 and I am getting ready to convert. At $2.80 a gallon for Petro I am going to spend $5000 this year on fuel if I do not convert.

If I only get 2 years ($10,000 in petro) out of my motor and replace it for $7000 then I am still ahead $3000.

There are a lot of sites(companies) selling kits to run WVO in a diesel engine and they have been around for a while.

It's time for a change and it might as well start with me.

Barnacle Bill and the Big White Truck
taking Chowder to the Ensign National Regatta

~~~_/)~~~~_/)~~
~~~~~~_/)~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 09-02-2005, 10:40 AM
Posting Guru

but barnicle, of your truck siezes in 500 miles then you're behind ten grand, seems worth it to get the equipment to make biodiesel, it's about 800 bucks and you make diesel for 70 cents a gallon, you'll be ahead in four months. Plus even when it comes back down (if it ever does) you'll still be saving.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:36 PM
Senior User

rost495 is starting off with a positive reputation.
From what all I've read, I doubt that you'd sieze a truck with VO. I think that from what I read 20% VO (not waste) should be fine. Gumming things up and or defeating seals could be another issue though. Of course for gumming injectors, thats solved everytime I change the fuel filter I fill it with a Cetane booster and clean em out....

I do agree that biodiesel production would be a much better bet though. I'm really thinking its time to buy the kit to use a water heater and start her up soon.

Jeff
Old 09-05-2005, 10:44 AM
Posting Guru

yeah, the only thing anybody has told me that you need to do to your truck for biodiesel is put a warmer on your fuel tank, so that the biosiesel won't congeal. Not sure if he right or not, but it's all I've heard so far.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:05 AM
Posting Guru

edub32 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amish77
yeah, the only thing anybody has told me that you need to do to your truck for biodiesel is put a warmer on your fuel tank, so that the biosiesel won't congeal. Not sure if he right or not, but it's all I've heard so far.
You don't need a heated tank for bio only if you're running WVO.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:09 AM
Posting Guru

edub32 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Anyone interested in making biodiesel, 100% WVO, or #2/WVO blend go to this excellent thread. http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=244801
Old 09-05-2005, 11:09 AM