Adding acetone to gas for improved mileage?

Old 08-31-2005, 01:50 PM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Adding acetone to gas for improved mileage?

Anyone hear of this or tried it? BTW, let's not focus on those who put it in their tank and didn't rinse the filler neck/tube with gas to remove the concentrated acetone (softens/dissolves some plastics). Think before acting. I'm looking for people with mileage results.

BTW, for anyone contemplating doing this after reading, don't do it blindly; do your homework and get educated first.

Old 08-31-2005, 02:09 PM
Icicle
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did LOTS of reading on making your own ocatne booster, and a lot of the articles and studies I read crossed over into the category your talking about....

Most of my reading was oriented as I said on Octane booster, as I thought the CR of my truck would be too high for premium, havent had it under load yet, but its fine so far....

the conclusion I arrived at was that the cost to benefit ratio would be minimal at best, but that was a long time ago. I just looked and I dont even have the links bookmarked anymore, sorry Bill, I would have gladly shared them with you.....

Old 08-31-2005, 02:18 PM
beeboy
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read a good article on it from a guy in Oz...but I didn't bookmark it. Sounds tempting to try.

Old 08-31-2005, 02:35 PM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
From my travels, it looks like .03 to .3 of 1% is the range to experiment with. It also seems that too much acetone not only adds to the cost, but does not produce the desired result (improved mileage). One article I read mentioned getting 150 octane by using the stuff. But what seems to happen, according to the authors testing, is that too much octane in an engine not set up for it (most vehicles on the road) results in mileage going down. On the other hand his curve showing % mileage gain VS oz acetone per 10 gallons shows a diesel gaining +20% on up to a 95 Neon gaining +35%. I crossed the line on Monday and decided to give it a try. The waiting is the hardest part; I'd love to see the results, or lack thereof, now . If it's gonna work it's gonna show a result pretty fast. The price was right too; about $6 for a quart of the stuff.

Old 08-31-2005, 02:42 PM
beeboy
Postmaster
I'm curious to hear your results. Notice it running different? Some claim their engines run smoother.

http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/additive.htm

Old 08-31-2005, 02:51 PM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
No noticeable changes in how it runs, but I've only got about 20 miles on the fillup. I've read that article; much of that stuff I'd say is correct too. I really wished I had a scangauge right now; it would be so easy to find a strip on I-90 and tweak the percentage of acetone and see the effects over the nice, continuous, and repeatable strip of I-90.

Old 08-31-2005, 03:08 PM
beeboy
Postmaster
hmmm...the wifes yoda shows instant mileage.

Old 08-31-2005, 04:26 PM
Icicle
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CowboyBilly9Mile
shows a diesel gaining +20%
That would scare me, Acetone is flammable/explosive, it wouldnt be good for the IP you wouldnt think either, taking the minimal lubricating qualities of our already garbage low-sulfur diesel and making it worse..

just thinking out loud......

Old 08-31-2005, 07:22 PM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Icicle
............., taking the minimal lubricating qualities of our already garbage low-sulfur diesel and making it worse..
Remember, just a few ounces per fillup is all they claim ya need. I really doubt a few ounces will mess up injectors on a vehicle that burns oil. In fact, if my truck burned oil I'd still give it a try . This is the same argument I make about adding it to gas, I added 2.5 oz to 20 gallons. That's hardly a drop in the bucket.

Old 09-12-2005, 06:53 PM
shane7209
Senior User
Well after much reading I am going to or should say have done it. Sunday I put 4 oz in and filled my tank ( 25 gal ). My truck is a 1997 F-150 4.6 with 168k on it. The truck has never liked regular unleaed so I generally use midgrade from Chevron. Pinging apperars to be a issue with this model. So did the fill up with reg unlead and drove about ten miles. I did not notice a differance untill the drive to work this morning. The pinging at low rpms just before the shift points is gone. So was it the gas or is this working? I don't know. For the next several fill ups I plan on doing the same thing and getting the gas from the same place. I will watch the performace and milage at keep everyone up to date.

Old 09-14-2005, 04:47 PM
cherryredF-150
New User
I tried acetone in my truck, my dads Focus, and my moms Buick. The one thing I found is that it is very sensitive to the exact amount used. The truck got an extra 1.5-2mpg with about 3oz per 10 gallons. The Focus did best with less than 2oz. I am still trying to find the right amount on the Buick. My results do vary so I will have to see how it does over the long run.

Old 09-14-2005, 05:15 PM
aggyaggy
Freshman User
There is an Explorer 4.0L user on a different forum (Serious Explorations) who puts 2oz of acetone in 20 gallon of gas and has done for many years. He claims (with good reason) to get 32 mpg on the Highway.It is well worth a read ,the thread title is "my quest for 30)
I have been using acetone in my tank for about a year now, my best Highway mileage is 26mpg(uk) before acetone I got about 22-23 mpg(UK). I know it's not a massive gain but I was also told that the acetone in the gas cleans out what it touches.

Last edited by aggyaggy; 09-14-2005 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:30 PM
ITFD
Freshman User
I have a question since I use acetone quite a bit at work for cleaning up, when ever acetone is left in a container it evaporates faster than gasoline would, now with it sitting in a gas tank wouldn't it evaporate and end up getting sucked out into the charcoal canister?

Just curious cause this is the first I've heard of this.

Old 09-17-2005, 10:08 AM
dsldrvr
Senior User
I tried it for a couple of tanks , no mileage improvemetn, at the 2-3oz per 10 g diesel. read many others on other forums that tried at the same time with similar results. ie , no real gain. My feeling is it may show some improvement if you have injecotrs that do not atomize properly, otherwise no benefit.

Old 09-18-2005, 11:06 AM
stevef100s
Posting Guru
The only benefit with acetone, is cleaner injectors and fuel system. It DOES NOT raise octane. If anything, it LOWERS the octane. Acetone ignites and burns EASIER and QUICKER then gas. Octane additives makes gasoline ignite LESS easy and burn SLOWER. Higher octane only helps in higher compression engines. It allows the fuel to not ignite until the plug fires, instead of PREigniting before the piston reaches TDC. If acetone helped get better mileage or made your vehicle run better, THEY WOULD USE IT AS ONE OF THE MANY ADDITIVES that are in gasoline from the refinery.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adding acetone to gas for improved mileage?