2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On putting Keypad door handles in non-keyless trucks.

Old 08-30-2005, 06:07 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On putting Keypad door handles in non-keyless trucks.

Also useful for adding LT handles.

I just added a keyless door handle (you know the ones with the numbers) to my STX.

This information is for those of us that have trucks that
1. Did not come with factory keyless entry, and
2. Did not come with the harness or locking module.

The trucks that did come with the keypad on the door can swap in an LT set of painted to match handles for very little money.
Straight swap, not too hard, and the handles can be bought for fewer than 50 bucks each.

I wanted a keyless entry pad on my truck as my wife has a tendency to lock the keys in cars.

My truck did not come with factory RKE (remote keyless entry). In fact, it wasn’t even an option.
The dealer had installed some sort of one door keyless with a remote, but as I declined to pay the 600 bucks for it, they pulled it out, leaving me wire taps, a harness with 16 pins, some fuses, three relays and one door actuator. Last year I put a remote keyless setup in my truck, a Crimestopper unit.

I wanted to add a keypad. The only aftermarket unit that I could find was about 225 bucks, and more importantly, you had to cut holes in the cab to use it.
I decided not to do that.

I bought a ‘taplock’ cheap on e-bay. www.taplock.com
I’m afraid they are too buggy for actual everyday use.

I did work out a way to use it, but I still wouldn’t have been happy with it. I did install it in my Tracker, it does work, usually.

So I consulted a dozen or so people and was told that if I put in a Ford keyless system, it would work with the ‘stick on’ keypads you can buy for Fords. I bought a Deluxe VSS/RKE system and installed it. Ford name on it, made by Power Code. Easy install and it works exactly as it should.

It does NOT work with the stick on number pad.
Nope.
So I am stuck with a new stick on pad.

So I checked into adding a keypad door handle. Easy to install, of course, but the keypad is dependant on having the factory keyless installed on the truck.

For reference, I decided to see what it would cost to put on a factory keyless for the 2004.

No dealer would even consider it. Not at any price. They did suggest a Ford Deluxe… or a Silver or Gold system. None of which would work with a keypad, stick on or built into the door handle.

Back to square one.
So since I have never messed with the keypads before, I decided to use this as a learning experience.
I dropped by my local Pick-a-Part and for 15 bucks I bought a keypad and module from a 95 Sable.

I pulled a schematic from my Mitchell’s for the 95 and traced the 48 wires.
I removed 39 of the wires as unneeded, leaving a fully functional keyless keypad. The relays are built into that unit, so I could run it on the bench, where if I keyed in the 5 digit code it would pop the door actuator.
I could have simply mounted the Sable keypad in my truck, but it would have looked lousy. No way was I gonna cut holes in the chassis, for anything.

So I acquired a factory keypad handle, from a 2005 truck. This was through the generosity of our own Hotlap.
He shipped it to me, free of charge.
THANKS AGAIN Hotlap.

So now I had a working keyless module, and a working keypad that looked nice, and didn’t require any ‘vandalism’ to the truck.

Bad news was in 2002 they went from Analog to Digital on the keypads.

Before mid 2002 each of the buttons would send a common signal to the module.
Five keys having five discreet signals, each with its own wire.

In 2002 up, only three of the keys have their own discreet signal.
Two of the keys send a ‘combined’ signal, useless for my purposes.
No problem. Most of the codes use only three numbers in their signal. Example 1-5-2-9-3 is still only three signals. 1-2 3-4 5-6 7-8 9-0 is only five actual numbers.

So by judicious rewiring I was able to use the older analog module with the newer digital signal. Due to the numbers that were available (the factory code is fixed on the modules, I was unable to activate the trunk function (other modules that would have been possible, just luck of the draw which code you get).

I was also unable to activate the lock function as not enough numbers were available. In both cases, I didn’t care, as I can lock the doors with the locks, the lock switch or the fobs.

Unlocking is the only trick I need from this pony.

I had a variety of choices to make. As my truck already has keyless remote entry (the Deluxe) there was no reason to use that feature of the module. I also didn’t need any of the other functions, so as I say, I disposed of a lot of wires. They just unplug, and thus the install is clean.

I had several choices on where to install it.
At first I was going to put it in the dead space below the radio, and then I thought about putting it in the door itself.
Very elegant solution, as I would only need to pass in one hot wire, and one output signal wire.

I finally decided to mount it next to my Deluxe Power Code module, more or less behind the headlight switch. On these trucks you can pop the side of the dash out, which gives you lots of room to work.

About an hour to install, first replacing the door handle, and then routing the wires out and into the cab. I had to add one relay.

Net result, it works fine.

It is a completely self contained keypad.
Touch the pad and the numbers light up, tap in the 5 digit code and it unlocks the doors.
Looks stock, works very well.

I did not set it to disable the alarm. I could do that, there is a provision in the alarm options for the unlock signal from the door pad to disable the alarm, but I figure it’s really just for emergencies and beach walks, so I don’t care if the alarm chirps and beeps while I grab the fob from the ignition or under the seat.

So anyone with an XL, STX, whatever, that did not come with keyless and wants to add the LT handles or just the keyless touch pad can do this rather cheaply. You could use the module from the older Fords as a complete keyless unit, as it has wires for every conceivable function, or you could just put the touchpad in and hook it up for emergencies.

The oddity is that I have two keyless modules in the truck, one the Power Code, the other the Ford keyless. Strangely that’s how Ford does it.

Anyone that wants more info, just post and I will see if I can answer any questions.

Please do not post telling people that they should have bought all the options when they got the truck. It’s more fun putting them in than buying them, besides, not everyone is rich or willing to go into debt for extra toys they can easily add later for 10 cents on the dollar.
Chris

Old 08-31-2005, 03:38 AM
dgludwig
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congratulations chris! My dealer said it couldn't be done -at any cost. I'm really impressed with what you did but it sounds anything but easy! Of course, for me, changing the oil and air filter is about my limit when it comes to working on these newer vehicles. My friends don't call me Mr. Bad Wrench for nothing!

Old 08-31-2005, 12:18 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dgludwig
Congratulations chris! My dealer said it couldn't be done -at any cost. I'm really impressed with what you did but it sounds anything but easy! Of course, for me, changing the oil and air filter is about my limit when it comes to working on these newer vehicles. My friends don't call me Mr. Bad Wrench for nothing!
\

Really not that hard, once someone else has done it. Sounds like you might not want to tackle it, but any that do I can give very straight forward instructions.
It is about as hard as putting in an amp, or keyless setup.
Chris

Old 09-01-2005, 11:36 PM
HotLap
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chris - way to go!! Glad to see it worked out for you and that my stock handle has a "new home" .......much better than sitting in a box in the garage for 5 years!!

Old 09-02-2005, 11:37 AM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by HotLap
Chris - way to go!! Glad to see it worked out for you and that my stock handle has a "new home" .......much better than sitting in a box in the garage for 5 years!!
Yep, works great. Can't thank you enough.

I've used it since Saturday (testing it) and the module addition works fine.

Chris