Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-30-2005, 10:56 AM
New User

RUN52 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Home made Diesel

Did anyone watch Trucks this weekend. He was making his own Bio-Diesel with a refining system from freedomfuelamerica.com. The system uses used vegetable oil, lye, and methanol to make diesel. He poured it straight into a modded Dodge and it ran great. Supposedly you can mix it with regular diesel with no problems. What do you think has anybody heard of this or tried this?
Old 08-30-2005, 11:41 AM
Elder User

sgthawkusmc is starting off with a positive reputation.
Maybe on a farm truck, but not with my $40k truck...
'05 F350 SC 6.0 PSD, Fisher MM2, 2.5" Leveling Lift, harpooned tank (Sorely missed...)
Old 08-30-2005, 12:12 PM
Senior User

Keeseter CO is starting off with a positive reputation.
a buddy of mine is brewing his and testing it on his farm equipment before he puts it in his F350 as well.

I'm anxious, but leery about screwing up my truck.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:12 PM
Postmaster

olfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to behold
Is this less expensive than diesel or just environmentally friendly? I don't do the shopping at my house so I have no idea how much veggie oil is, or methenol or......

05 F350 4x4 CC SB Tow Com 6.0 Auto (camper puller)
74 F250 4x4 w/ C8-460 4sp (restore project and wood truck)
07 Everest 295TS Fifth Wheel (rolling beer drinkin' den)
56 Sweetheart (wife)
These are my ladies
Old 08-30-2005, 01:55 PM
Elder User

mattsf250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
UVO is free, if you can finda resturant to give it to ya.......you would need AMNY, MANY resurants worth of used veggie oil to make a real go of this/.

alternativly,. you can run 100% veggie oil that has been filtered, but it will congele, and not flow well at all when cold, thus fuel heaters are available for this/./

as was said, not in my 40k truck!

but, for a POS MBZ diesel, who cares?
Old 08-30-2005, 02:08 PM
New User

RUN52 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I agree with everyones concerns about thier trucks. I just thought the process was interesting and wondered if anyone has tried it. It sure would be nice to have cheap fuel and stick it to the oil companies at the same time.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:18 PM
Elder User

elemint is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsf250
UVO is free, if you can finda resturant to give it to ya.......you would need AMNY, MANY resurants worth of used veggie oil to make a real go of this/.

cares?
Ever been behind a fast food restaurnt? They have dumpsers full of waste oil.

With newer vehicles i would recommend a 50/50 deisel and processed waste oil mixture.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:07 PM
Posting Guru

Help I M Stuck is starting off with a positive reputation.
i did see that segment on Trucks.. Interesting concept..give me a POS diesel vehicle to try it in first then maybe ..but I can't imagine being behind someone who is using it..wouldn't the exhaust smell like you are cooking freedom fries?
86 Bronco II 4inch suspesnion lift, 3inch body, 35x12.50x15 BFT AT/s and 4:10gears.

05 F250 Superduty Diesel--tows the BII to the trails
Old 08-31-2005, 07:32 PM
Senior User

bilter is starting off with a positive reputation.
I live near a big dougnut factory and they have thousands of gallons of the stuff. They ave to pay to dispose of it so they would be happy for me to take some away. I was thinking more in terms of running a blend in my home furnace. I think I burn nearly the same amount of heating oil as I do truck fuel....but then again I live in Maine
Old 08-31-2005, 10:13 PM
Senior User

Bill Jordan is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have checked this out. In order to be cost effective you need to buy methenol in such bulk it was too scary. Then you have make a machine or buy one to process this stuff. Getting the used veggie oil was easy and free. The local McDonalds was ready to set me up with his store and five others. Do a search on biodiesel and find all sorts of info. I also checked out fresh vegetable oil. In large bulk it still was more than pump diesel. Even at $3.35 a gal. I thought about getting a few diesel pals together and all pitch in to make this stuff. But I was ending up doing all the work and research. I am going to drive my little Honda more and drive real slow and easy.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:58 PM
Senior User

efoster_01 is starting off with a positive reputation.
i made a bio-diesel mixing batch plant for my design thesis in college a year or so ago, and my system could make 30 gallons in 15 minutes, i was opperating on a federal research grant so i didnt do much shopping around, but to get explosion proof pumps, mixers and such as well as tanks, and building a metal frame on wheels to move it i had about a grand in the system. tanks where expensive and 55 gallon plastic chemical jugs will work just fine. i think my prodoction cost to make diesel from soy-bean oil was around 2.15 a gallon, i ran dyno tests with the stuff through a new emmisions standard cat accert engine. prices arnt so high yet that i can justify running it through a 40k dollar truck, our farm tractors maybe, but most of those are worth FAR more. if anybody wants info on the process i can see if i can find any of my info., i do have a couple pics of the setup.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:06 AM
Post Fiend

BigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputation
adrian.erks.harris adrianerksharris
RUN52

Welcome to FTE.
Check out our Guidelines:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/guidelines.html
And the Read First: notices at the top of each forum, it will help you understand and navigate FTE easier.
See you around...

BigF350

Thread moved.

Last edited by BigF350; 09-01-2005 at 12:09 AM.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:12 PM
Junior User

beeglej is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have been running biodiesel in my cars for a close to a year now. Little VWs. I am putting together my own "appleseed reactor" today to make enough for my truck (which occasionally runs biodiesel). I have a neighbor that lets me make some on unit.

My only problem with the unit featured on Trucks Freedom Fuel America's Fuel Mieser is the big price tag.
You can easily put together a larger more effective unit for under $800

Just my opionion
Old 09-01-2005, 05:19 PM
Junior User

nv_brewer is starting off with a positive reputation.
It must be fairly stable. The University of Nevada Reno have been running their vehicles on it since 2003.

1991 Bronco EB
351W E4OD 4:56 gearing
6" Lift
35" tires
E-Locker rear/Limited slip front
Old 09-02-2005, 02:18 AM
Posting Guru

1978fordf250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey I would really liek to know more about your process of how you made your setup. Please elt us know more my dad wants tot ry to make a setup to make this stiff.
thanks,
jimmy
Old 09-02-2005, 02:18 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
diesel, homemade, refinery