General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

? for Music Lovers

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 09:46 AM
LilDuke
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up ? for Music Lovers

Just wondered what kind of music and age range my fellow FTE'rs listen too.

I am a local DJ thinking about going regional and farther. I also run PA for a couple of local bands.

If and how has your music tastes changed in the last 15-20yrs?

For me, I never liked country. Grew up on oldies and classic rock. Now I find myself listening to country as much as I still listen to classic rock. I love most kinds of music, except for (pop)dance and rap. The only requirement I have for good music, is a (1)well written score and (2)lyrics that tell a story.

And if you have a new favorite band/song/album (last 2 yrs) please post it as well.

For me, it's the new Big&Rich album. Not only do I enjoy the whole album( a rarity), the story how Big Kenny(yes, his real name) and John Rich came together.

Thanks for all your input, Dave

Old 08-30-2005, 09:58 AM
warrencowboy05
Senior User
i absolutely love country music! i got into it a few years ago after my junior year of high school and i havent really listened to anything since. i love it all except the new muzik mafia stuff like big and rich and i dont like the boy bands like lonestar and rascal flatts. then of course i like some rock and roll too like metallica and i just found a few new bands that are great. one of them is avenged sevenfold, its pretty heavy but i like it a lot!

adam

Old 08-30-2005, 10:40 AM
jdmorg
Posting Guru
Not a fan of country at all...I just can't do the sound. I'm not a fan of rap either, but a good hip-hop album I can usually handle...they're usually not on the radio though.

I'm with you...good sound, and good lyrics will get the job done. I'm a big fan of classic rock, but touch on a little bit of everything. I like jungle and heavy drum n' bass, but am not the dancing type. I like classical music, opera, and orchestral scores, but am not the type to sit in front of a fireplace with a smoking jacket and pipe reading War & Peace. I like some of the oldies, but am only 24. That also applies to my Sinatra, Dean-o and all of the others from the Big Band era that I listen to like a fiend. (Sunday mornings are dedicated F.S. time..."Sundays with Sinatra" in Philly with Sid Marx has become a ritual). I also like a lot of jazz, typically the older stuff though, like Miles Davis.

So....24 year old male, various musical tastes, none of which include rap, country, pop-radio crap, 80s or disco.

Old 08-30-2005, 10:51 AM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Latest CD: Confidential - Peter White
While it's not his best work, it's still very, very good. Guitar. I could sit and listen (or do whatever) to Peter White's music, for hours and hours.
(Dang. I guess it's an 'age' thing.)

I like most country music. Keyword . . . most. Not all.
I could listen to Faith Hill. . . 'til I die. (She ain't hard to look at, either!)

60s and 70s. (Oldies, in other words.) Motown!!!!!!! I grew up on Motown!!!!

No Rap. No Hip-Hop. No Heavy Metal. Bluegrass . . . rarely.

Classical. . . . No way. Gives me a headache.

Old 08-30-2005, 10:55 AM
ChurchTurtle
Elder User
I am 37.

I like a lot of different geres of music. Haven't bought "New" music in a while. I will say this, I saw Pat Green on Austin City Limits Saturday and I could become a fan. I like listening to Keith Urban (as long as I don't have to look at him) and really like Brad Paisley. Haven't bought the album, but have liked the Los Lonely Boys songs I've heard. I also like some of Charlie Robinson's stuff.
Love the lyrics...
Well, I got myself a little band
And we're pretty good I guess.
But I nevr learned how to wear my hair
and I never learned how to dress.

How perfect is that? So many of these C&W singers these days are so wrapped up in image that they couldn't write a meaningful song if their lives depended on it.

I like some oldies, but some of the oldies stations play the same songs over and over until you hate some of them, same thing for so-called classic rock.

He hasn't had a new album that I'm aware of, but I really dig Leon Redbone. Got a couple of his albums. And I have never heard enough Kevin Welch, Texas Tornados or David Ball.

Old 08-30-2005, 11:05 AM
1bigsteve
Senior User
Talking

Well, Dave, I never was deeply into Country but there are a few singers I like from that music. Some of Skeeter Davis's stuff, Patsy Cline, Tammy Wynette, Lynn Anderson, The Judds and a few others.

Most of what I listen to are big-voiced singers. I don't care much for male singers except for Tom Jones (earlier stuff), and Elvis Presley (later stuff), Roy Orbison and one or two others.

The girls I like are Shirley Bassey, Vikki Carr, Judy Henske, Bobbie Martin, Lana Cantrell, Brenda Lee, The Supremes and one of my favorites, Georgia Brown. That dark voice of her's melts my butter! I recently discovered Enya. Real nice voice but lacks the throbbing vocal power I like. But I like listening to her. She is good. Barbra Streisand is real good but for me her voice seem's too perfect and just a bit cold although I liked her in Hello Dolly.

I like Herb Albert and his '60's band. Boots Randolph on tenor sax, Gerry Mulligan on barritone sax. I only like "live" jazz. The stuff on records or TV I generally don't care for. The Beatles wrote some nice stuff but I don't care for the sound of their voices.

My music taste has not changed any over the years. The type of stuff I liked 45 years ago I still like today. I am finding new singers now and then to add to my collection. I didn't discover Shirley Bassey until 15 years ago. Judy Henske 18 years ago (saw her perform recently-what a woman!), Georgia Brown 13 years ago. I must be coming late to the party.

What I don't like are singers and band members that look like they just stepped out of a '60's drug orgy. I don't care how good their music is. I like performers who are clean-cut and well dressed. All the girls I mentioned always look their best on stage. Tom Jones and Elvis Presley were also clean looking and so was Frank Sinatra. Am I old fashioned?

I haven't discovered any new albums. Most of the albums I like were recorded in the '60's and '70's. I agree with you on good lyrics and a song that tell's a story. I don't like "anti-anthems" anything. Just good clean music.

I'm jumping up and down on 50. Bummer.

-1bigsteve (o:

Last edited by 1bigsteve; 08-30-2005 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:14 AM
eclecticcowboy
Junior User
Theres only two types of music, good and bad. I think I lean toward the good stuff but my wife and daughters disagree.

Old 08-30-2005, 11:35 AM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm 25 and from north of chicago. I didnt listen to country untill going to school down south. I listen to EVERYTHING now. XM makes it even easier

Old 08-30-2005, 11:45 AM
hockeyfan4
Freshman User
Rock! I am addicted to Rock. I listen to some Bluegrass, Ska, some Metal like Ozzy, but mostly Rock. Zeppelin and Floyd and Neil Young are my top 3!

Old 08-30-2005, 12:06 PM
ramblincowboy
Tuned
I'm pushing 40 (really hard...lol) and I like a little bit of almost everything.

I grew up on outlaw country - Hank Jr, Waylon, Willie, David Allan Coe... and southern rock - Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Brothers, Marshall Tucker... and The Eagles and Jimmy Buffett...and I still listen to all of that.

I mostly keep my radio's tuned to classic rock stations (though I agree they can get pretty repetitive) 'cause there isn't much of the new stuff I like on the radio.

I'm really in to the "Red Dirt" stuff, which tends to be a combination of country, folk, rock and blues - some leans heavily toward country and some more towards rock - Pat Green, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Jason Boland and the Stragglers, Reckless Kelly... but all with a similiar honky-tonk kind of flavor. If you're interested check out Lonestar Music.com.

I find I tend to listen to different types of music in phases, alot depending on my moods and whats going on with my life at the time. Music is like my pulse, though - there's always something playing, even if it's just the jukebox in my mind.

David

Old 08-31-2005, 07:48 AM
LilDuke
Elder User
Thanks for all the replies! I have this posted on about 10 different forums I belong to. Trying to get a good dem. from varied sources. Purely unscientific. But allows me to see what trends people have in music today. Billboard charts don't help because, for one reason or another, they are biased twards a certain audience/age group/cause there lame!

Old 08-31-2005, 08:01 AM
Tomcat7742
Posting Guru
I listen to a variety of music, theres not really a genre I won't touch. My favorite though is hard rock/heavy metal like Metallica, Iron Maiden & Godsmack.

- Chris

Old 08-31-2005, 08:34 AM
ddrumman2004
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm 53 and listen to the music I grew up on mostly. I can't stand some of the newer country but love the country from early 90's on back. It seems that there are so called new country artists coming out every day and it's hard to tell some of them apart.

Old 08-31-2005, 09:03 AM
mightypan42
Senior User
I listen to pretty much everything except country and gangsta rap. Last couple of years my big favorite has been heavy metal. No specific band... just loud and fast metal

Old 08-31-2005, 05:53 PM
OldSHO
Junior User
I listen to some country, like gretchin wilson, rascal flatts, big n rich, lonestar, garth brooks, ect.
But I more listen to rock like - disturbed, evenesence, korn, story of the year, 3 doors down, linkin park, afi, 3 days grace, nickleback, drownding pool, lost prophits, bowling for soup, dark new day, sether, ect. could go on for ever.
no rap at all. the only reson I have it is cause it got left in my cd book. and its fun to have stereo wars with the car next to you.
so 20 year old female, rock, little country, no rap.

Quick Reply: ? for Music Lovers