appleseed processor.......

Old 10-17-2005, 12:17 PM
bczolone
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i roll it to the end of the garage, with the main and rear doors open...i even know a guy who does his exclusively out doors or like the other fellow build an outdoor system either enclosed or at least with an overhang.

Old 10-17-2005, 04:11 PM
Mcol
5th Wheeling
Fumes

So you just vent the fumes out into the open. Do the fumes dissapate quickly enough that there is no hazard for the people around me?

Old 10-17-2005, 08:53 PM
bczolone
Elder User
yes being alcohol they dissapate quickly; I measure my methynol first and pour/pump into the methynol mixing tank first then cap. Then I make my measurements of NaOH, then ASAP add to the methynol where upon I start the recirulatory mixer (might change this) I have found that it takes a good 20min to totally dissolve the NaOH which is tricky because its hard to see and you (I) always check the tank visually using a respirator (I'm borrowing) but thats the only time I open the top. It pumps in from the tank to the oil so there isn't any more handling of the methyloxide...I do realize I dont like checking it this way and we are trying to figure out a better way to check that the NaOH is dissolved without having to crack the top...any ideas I would appreciate...I also heard that the respirator has to be of a special kind to actually avoid the fumes completely...the one I use is supposed to save you from ammonia fumes...so thats all I have...it only takes a second (with the pump off) but its a second I'd like to avoid if I continue making it...considering I dont even use the stuff...(no money to buy an older diesel )

Old 10-17-2005, 10:27 PM
Mcol
5th Wheeling
Cool

Thanks to BC and Fabman for their great info and ideas. I really apperciate all that you guys have told me it really helps in me to decide what I am going to do. Thanks
Jimmy

Old 10-18-2005, 06:29 PM
Mcol
5th Wheeling
Waste

Another question for you guys. What do you do with the waste from making bio? I know that you can recycle some of the Methanol but what about the other stuff thats left like the wash water and I'm not sure what else?
Thanks Again
Jimmy

Old 10-18-2005, 08:16 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking Waste? What waste!!

Originally Posted by Mcol
Another question for you guys. What do you do with the waste from making bio? I know that you can recycle some of the Methanol but what about the other stuff thats left like the wash water and I'm not sure what else?
Thanks Again
Jimmy

I'll probably hear about this....... But I don't wash. The alternative to washing is settling. I let my biodiesel settle for one week in 30 gal barrels, then I decant from the top with a pump, and pump it into a 1,000 gal tank to settle 3 more weeks. At that point I filter through a 5 micron than a 2 micron and pump into my main 5,000 gallon tank and it's ready to use. That's a lot of wash water I don't have to dispose of.

My gylcerol is heated in a still to 230 deg F and a consistant 25 percent of my initial methanol is recoverd for use. At this time I am building a new "heater-cleaner" that will hold 300 gallons. The new processer will be heated with glycerin with a "TURK" burner. I am also building a small [12' x12' ] building between my shop and house, and will build a "BABINGTON" burner to use the "waste" glycerin to heat the house and shop with a forced air system.

Next on my list is to install the 75K diesel genset I just bought and take the ranch completly OFF GRID!!! No More Energy Costs!!! Fabmandelux.

Old 10-18-2005, 08:52 PM
bczolone
Elder User
my waste is not disposed of in a politically correct way so i'm not saying what i do with it...hehe...and yes i wash mine; three times prior to putting in our main tanks or vehicles (24 hr settle time each), but i dont make that much...but then again i'm only in it to save money, not the planet...its actually a potential problem of epic propotions if you consider it takes 5 ac to make 10gal of oil in soybeans...