New Hampshire Chapter Join Chapter Leader: 7283-F250

new hampshire emmisions testing

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 11:02 AM
turbocoupe5.0
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
new hampshire emmisions testing

I'm new to this forum and I hope I'm posting this in the right section. I have a question for all the New Hampshire members out there who have had their trucks inspected since the new emmisions inspection went into effect. I'm runnig an 87 F250 with a 460. I know some of the emmisions equipment is missing and I'm wondering if she'll pass. The new inspection is for 96 (I think) and up, but I've heard they're doing a visual emmisions inspection on older vehicles. Anybody have any experiences with this? I want to be ready for my inspection in December. Also, my truck has no cats and the pipes from the muffler to the manifold look stock. Does anyone know if the 8600GVW 4X4 460 was available without cats in 87? A heavy duty package or something?

Any help would be great, thanks.

Old 08-29-2005, 09:17 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Moved to NE forum. Otherwise check with the 87 truck forum.

Old 08-29-2005, 10:55 PM
rhodie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as the cats question goes, I think there should be a sticker in front and to the left of the radiator (next to the hood latch) showing emissions diagrams (at least on 80-86 it's there). It should say in big letters "catalyst" or "non-catalyst" (IIRC). I don't think your truck would've had them in those years.

Maybe someone from NH will be able to pipe in about the actual testing up there.

Good luck.

Old 09-01-2005, 09:33 AM
7283-F250
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rhodie
As far as the cats question goes, I think there should be a sticker in front and to the left of the radiator (next to the hood latch) showing emissions diagrams (at least on 80-86 it's there). It should say in big letters "catalyst" or "non-catalyst" (IIRC). I don't think your truck would've had them in those years.

Maybe someone from NH will be able to pipe in about the actual testing up there.

Good luck.
Yep. My 83 351W had a "NON-Catalist" label on the radiator support top cowl. The truck came with and w/o cats in 83 depending on exhaust option, or somthing like that. I am guessing that being an 87 it woud require cats. Go to the ford dealer and see if you can get an exploded view or the exhaust. If there is an option for cat or not it should show up.

Technicaly they are supposed to check emmisions equipment sence at leat 2000. I had to find and install an air pump onto my 83 to get inspected in 01. I took it off 2 weeks later and it never went back on. The other inspection station never checked for it. I was alos told at one point that anything 80 and newer needs all factory equipment on it. I needed to put a pass mirror on the truck in 02 because it was there factory but the air Pump guy never said anything about it.

The thing with 96 and up model is only because that is when ODB(or ODB2) was on all cars or somtihng like that. My focus got plugged into the computer and passed. The inspection station only did the visuals of lights, exhaust, floor board rot and such. I than payed about $40 and was on my way.

Old 09-01-2005, 02:20 PM
turbocoupe5.0
Senior User
Times change

Yeah, the place I've alway gone to didn't care what you drove as long as the brakes & tires were good. That's the way it should be if you ask me. But, Ive heard they're much pickier now. That's why I'm trying to get some info from people who have had their old beater trucks inspected this year. I want to know what I'm in for. Thanks for the cat info! I'll have to check that sticker tonight.

Old 09-01-2005, 03:16 PM
7283-F250
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hopefully my "winter beater" will be done before snow flies. I will let you know how it turnes out.

Also remember that someones "beater" is another's daily driver. Like my "winter beater" will be my daily driver throughout the winter, or untill it dies.

Old 09-01-2005, 03:46 PM
turbocoupe5.0
Senior User
Hey, I'm not picking on beaters. I love mine! My old truck is definately a beater and she's taken good care of me every winter (and a little in the summer) for almost 5 years. Snow banks, small trees, mud, ditches, it doesn't matter if you don't care what she looks like!

Old Fords Never Say Die!

Old 09-02-2005, 08:20 AM
turbocoupe5.0
Senior User
I looked at the stick under the hood this morning. It says "NON-CATALIST", so that's one thing I don't have to worry about. Thanks for the tip on that. Still hoping to hear from someone who's had there "not so stock truck" inspected this year.

Thanks Again

Old 09-05-2005, 10:01 PM
downhillpat
Elder User
I haven't had it (87 F150 351 4bbl) inspected yet, but I'm gonna have to soon.Then again I have friends....And it has no air pump, or thermactor, or heat riser for that matter....might replace the heat riser but by the time I'm done with it the Holley will be gone along with the intake, and that wonderful little tube on the back of the heads. I've got nothing against the emissions equip. it just wasn't there in the first place...

Old 09-05-2005, 10:08 PM
downhillpat
Elder User
BTW: The only testing we do is if it's 1996 up, is plug in the OBDII connector. And I might add the machine is the biggest piece of crap in the sane world. It and I should say all 3 of them, crash at least 3 times a day, the wireless modems don't work (to transmit the data to the DMV). "Gordon-Darby makes the finest obdII testing equipment in the world" according to their accounting department.....