1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

I've tried every cuss word in the book, and it still won't fit!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 04:15 PM
BlueDolphin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've tried every cuss word in the book, and it still won't fit!

I am installing the outside motor/blower and fresh air/heater ducts on a 50 Ford F1.

Has anyone else tried this with the fender ON?

There are no orientation marks on the tubes to get them aligned. And apparently they have to be aligned JUST right to fit. I figured this would be a snap, but it is gaining the better of me.

Boy a punch would have made a world of difference when this tubing was removed. That way it would be easier to align all the plumbing. That or some sort of a union joint.

Anyway... it appears the best way (with the fender on) is to attach everything up to the motor/blower, and then leave the ducts unattached to the motor/blower until the motor/blower is finally bolted in place (at least with one bolt), and then attach the duct to the motor/blower last, with everything lined up as best as possible.

Gotta think there is a much better way to do this. I really do not want to remove the fender, although this would make the job a bit easier.

If anyone has done this, and has any secrets do tell. I have used soap on the connections where the tubing fits together, this makes fitting together a little easier (at least until it dries up!).

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHH!

Old 08-28-2005, 10:18 PM
dylan1952
Senior User
I've got one of those systems, but it's not hooked up. It's one of those things that I want to install someday. By the trouble it sounds like your encountering it won't be anytime soon. The guy I bought mine from said " start your installation from the duct inside the fender and work toward the cab". It sounds like your finding this out. I don't see any special alignment marks on mine for set up. Good luck with it, I know you'll get it installed.

Old 08-28-2005, 10:38 PM
BlueDolphin
Senior User
Thanks Dylan1952,

It sounds like I am at least on the right track now. I had to remove the motor/blower as I had originally started from the cab and was working out to the intake.

Now... if I just had another set of hands that were as determined as I am.......

Old 08-29-2005, 09:01 AM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
have you tried ''kl;jiopcq;dfm,;kc!!**''

Old 08-29-2005, 01:36 PM
g84t8f1
Elder User
Wow Thats A New One!

Old 08-29-2005, 02:12 PM
BlueDolphin
Senior User
Umm er... nope, not that one. Hang on let me give it a shot.

Old 08-29-2005, 03:30 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it doesn't work on the truck, try it on your neighbors!!!!

Old 08-31-2005, 01:14 AM
BlueDolphin
Senior User
Still a no go....

I am going to remove the headlight bucket and put everything together and try this time to install in one piece... less the motor/blower which will be losely bolted in place.

I have my next door neighbor ready to help with the new attempt tomorrow.

I am sure it would be easier if he fender was removed. But we are going to try it one more time before we remove the fender.

We also discovered that if we "cut" one of the duct tubes about a 1/2" it might make it a heck of a lot easier to put this in. But will save the cut as a last resort.

I am only consoled knowing that somehow this bugger has to fit! What a biotch though!

As for the neighbors (per my other posts regarding the lack of enthusiasm for working on my truck in public), I figure if I pull in my next door neighbor to help out on this project, the winch across the street will have to turn us BOTH in to the homeowners association.

Last edited by BlueDolphin; 08-31-2005 at 01:18 AM.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:36 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Blue,
Perhaps you havent made enough of a blood sacrifice yet. While trying the new words the Fenders suggested make sure to slice open a good sized gouge on the inside of a forearm. It shouldn't take too much as I'm sure there are plenty of jagged edges around the inner fender and the ductwork itself that are more than ready to take their allotment of blood

As far as your problem wench across the street, try parking and working in her driveway.....who knows, she mightnot be able to see anything that close....you know, fly under her radar

Good luck
Bobby

Old 09-01-2005, 12:07 AM
BlueDolphin
Senior User
Ok.. got it. I tried some French on it this time.

Man what a pain.

Anyway.... if anyone else attempts this..... here is the only way I could find to get everything to fit/installed. without removing the wheel or fender.

Put everything together before going up under the fender. Snake everything up under the fender well. Place the intake up near its perch. Then force the motor/blower up to its mount location. It is important to really lube the tubing at its two slip joints, as you will need to massage the plumbing into place. It aint easy believe me. Don't forget to put in your seals. I used a tight air/foam pack material, as I could not find any other good gasket material. You could use a thick cork I suppose.

Also note that the tubes do not go together with the ribbings lined up (the tubes are crimped along two sides making a rib along two sides of each pipe). In fact in my case it fit with the ribs being almost perpendicular to each other.

Once you have the motor/blower in place, tighten it down. Then massage/adjust the tubing as best you can to get the intake sitting flat on its perch. Don't forget to put in the screen material, and work the intake into place to allow you to get the bolts in.
Then move to the front of the truck and put in the final screw/bolt to finish attaching the intake.

Having the ducts well lubed allows you to twist and move the tubing as needed. You will defenitely need two people to do this.

Anyway, it can be done with the fender on.

Now I just need to do the wiring and install the flex duct inside the truck and I am DONE with the heater.

Last edited by BlueDolphin; 09-01-2005 at 12:22 AM.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:10 AM
2bocat
Senior User
Pictures?

Any chance you could post some pictures of the finished installation? The ductwork on my F-3 appears to be some sort of super-duper farm custom square-tube coat-hanger welded apparatus that's blanked off at the back end of the fender. I'd sure like to see what this is actually supposed to look like vs. the caveman creation in mine.

Old 09-01-2005, 08:59 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Blue,

Glad to hear that you got it in. I don't know what I'll do onmine....I don't know any French

Bobby

Old 09-01-2005, 01:32 PM
BlueDolphin
Senior User
I will post some photos of the parts and installation.

Brush up on that French though!

Old 09-01-2005, 05:31 PM
2bocat
Senior User
Orientation?

I can't figure out where I'm looking in the truck when I'm looking at the picture of the blower motor. Is that up against the fire wall on the passenger side or is that up under the fender? Sorry to be so dense...

Old 09-01-2005, 08:53 PM
BlueDolphin
Senior User
The blower/motor mounts up under the fender well outside the truck.

Quick Reply: I've tried every cuss word in the book, and it still won't fit!