Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-23-2007, 06:00 PM
Post Fiend

Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
http://www.facebook.com/http://facebook.com/Kwikkordead#!/Kwikkordead
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grinch
Kwik, I am repairing a leaking oil cooler. I have the ends free but am unable to pull the cooler out due to clearance with the engine/frame. How can I lift the engine without lifting from the oil pan? A bottle jack on the engine mount? Plus 3 parts came out of the rear/oil filter housing. The spring I see above and 2 hollw cylinders, one fits into the other. How does it all go back together because I don't think they were supposed to come out.
I would use (rent one if you don't have one) a cherry picker and lift it from above. It's the only safe way to do it.
An alternative is get a come-along and attach it to an overhead beam capable of holding the weight, remove the hood and lift it that way.
That beam would need to be stout. 2x4 roof joists need not apply.
2000 VW Passat 1.8t Tiptronic. ZZOOOOOMMMM!!!
You cannot explain or explain away the power of God.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:20 PM
Senior User

The Grinch is starting off with a positive reputation.
Kwik, is there a good place to hook up to on the left side of the motor? I am only lifting the left side enough, a couple of inches, to pull out the oil cooler and end caps.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:57 AM
Post Fiend

Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
http://www.facebook.com/http://facebook.com/Kwikkordead#!/Kwikkordead
Isn't there a lifting stirrup on the left front? I know for sure there is on the RR because I took mine off and stored it.
2000 VW Passat 1.8t Tiptronic. ZZOOOOOMMMM!!!
You cannot explain or explain away the power of God.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:34 AM
Senior User

I'll check, but the only one I have seen is on the right side. I have enough info now to make it work. I just need to figure out the 3 pices that came out of the gasket side of the rear oil cooler mount. The 2 hollow cylinders, on fits inside the other, and the spring. Any ideas on this? Thanks!
Old 04-25-2007, 09:59 AM
Postmaster

BobbyDiesel71 has a very good reputation on FTE.BobbyDiesel71 has a very good reputation on FTE.BobbyDiesel71 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Yeah, get the parts necessary and a good circlip tool. I used a 3/8" socket extension to hold the assembly in place while I worked the circlip up into it's groove. The male part of the extension fits perfectly into the hole and the shoulder pushes on the washer. It all wants to jump apart with the spring pressure until you get it securely pushed up into the hole where you can install the circlip. Don't force it you'll break the wafer against the guide ribs in the inside if misaligned. That was the PITA, it kept wanting to go sideways and several times it jumped out on me and I had to go fishing for it across the shop floor.
what is the reason for this fix?
just curious
02 F-350 lariat srw,supercab longbed 4x4 FX4
[I][COLOR=blue]Transgo Tugger II, TRU-COOL 4739, AFE stage II intake, Bully Dog 5" turbo back exhaust
Old 04-25-2007, 02:09 PM
Elder User

kawika is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota hauler
what is the reason for this fix?
just curious
Bob,

Sometimes the oil relief valve pops out of the hole and without it you are using unfiltered oil thru your motor. You are wanting to make sure the oil relief valve is in every time you change your filter.

So when you take out your filter and see some parts, do not throw them away.
K&N FIPK w/Filter Wrap
hpx mod, 3 Gauge A-Pillar, DP Tuner
4in Exhaust Turbo back
"Gray" CPS, AIH delete
Old 04-25-2007, 05:39 PM
Post Fiend

PowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to behold
you do not need to pull the engine to remove and replace the oil cooler. I did before on a job i was doing. Remove the oil filter, drain the crankcase oil, and leave the plug out. Remove two bolts holding the front header, and three on the rear. Then seperate the gaskets, and pull the oil cooler backwards, and down at the rear first. Lots of coolant will come out of the cooler when you seperate the gaskets, so be prepared for a shower, and you will even get some in the oil pan, the port that the oil outlet returns to the sump. Let the plug out and then it will all drain out. Also when you tilt the cooler, oil and water will come out and fall everywhere. Keep your mouth closed (don't ask). It isn't hard to do, i thought. If you have a stock style water pump, removing the lower hose and the inlet neck will make the front bolts alot easier to get to.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:16 AM
Senior User

Question

I have done all that. Yes, pulling the cooler off was a messy job. Oil and Coolant everywhere, lots of shop rags and stains on the driveway that will last for years! My problem is I can't separate the cooler into pieces on the truck. It will have to be removed as a unit to pull apart later. Too much rust on the cooler to make an easy separation. But I don't have enough room to just pull the cooler out without lifting the engine a small bit. The other problem was the 3 parts that I found that popped out of the flat side of the oil filter end of the rear oil cooler mount. 2 hollow cylinders and one large spring that looks like the spring in the relief valve pic. How do they go back into the engine side of the filter mount. Don 't want to obstruck the oil flow by putting them back wrong.

Last edited by The Grinch; 04-26-2007 at 07:17 AM. Reason: misspell
Old 04-26-2007, 05:45 PM
Postmaster

WA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to all
Costco sells some stuff called "oil eater" that will take every stitch of oil out of your driveway; at least it did mine when I dropped the filter one time.
7.3L, Termi-T1000,38R,RR Plenum Inserts, DP F5, 5"exh., 6"Spring Super Lift,RDP SS BL, RDP 650M dash,EV2's, (TCT Trans= POS), DFA RR, TYMAR, H&H, 6.0 IC, REDHEAD,D60,XRF BJ, Glock 21, and some things I forgot......
Work/Hunting/Family Truck.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:38 PM
Postmaster

kawa has a good reputation on FTE.kawa has a good reputation on FTE.kawa has a good reputation on FTE.
If the relief valve port in the filter assembly is UN-damaged then I would think that a "Wafer" could be made from a thin, sturdy piece of material such as plastic, phenolic, etc as long as it is impervious to oils.

It is a necessary part of the oil system and if push comes to shove then the replacement of the entire filter housing assembly is your next step.

This thread sure makes one wonder how many other defective oil relief valves may be out there as I for one have never even looked nor did I know that it was even there. I will check mine at the next oil change.

Rog
-1.0 Turbo-Detroit Locker.
Cadillac Battery Water.
1998 Black Ranger 4X4 4.0 Auto. 102K miles.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:56 PM
Post Fiend

superduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud of
Dredging up old dead posts again Rog?
PAA Member #2
97 F350 CCLB 4x4 PSD
96 F350 CCLB 4x4 PSD - totaled 4/17/11 and sorely missed
God speed PaysonPSD, you will be missed
ThumperTalk / All Things Moto! / Back Country Rebels / SAWS / BRC
Old 12-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Elder User

Jaaaaaaackman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Found this problem today wafer ,spacer and spring fell out , could not find the cir clip thought it was in the filter or worse ,,,,,,,,,,,, then I noticed the difference on my 95 F-350 instead of a cir clip (no groove) mine has four punch peen marks in the housing (that held in the assembly) at the 10-2-4 and 8 o'clock positions so I just reinserted the spring ,wafer and spacer pushed in tight then put 4 new peens in ,,,,,,,, hope it stays in will know at next oil change....

This by far was the scaryiest dicovery I have had with my truck so far was supposed to be a fast easy oil change before work instead it took me 3 hours to figure it out plus a helper to push the spacer up while I peen the edge......

Great posts from you all . , you really help me out big time thanks.

97 F-250 XLT, SC ,Short box 4X4, 5 Speed,
Old 12-03-2009, 10:42 AM
Postmaster

kawa has a good reputation on FTE.kawa has a good reputation on FTE.kawa has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty4x4 View Post
Dredging up old dead posts again Rog?

Hmmmmm, Damn, I hate getting old!

Rog
-1.0 Turbo-Detroit Locker.
Cadillac Battery Water.
1998 Black Ranger 4X4 4.0 Auto. 102K miles.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:54 PM
Postmaster

WA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to allWA.Ranger is a name known to all
Wow, I responded in 05', 07', and now the end of 09'!
7.3L, Termi-T1000,38R,RR Plenum Inserts, DP F5, 5"exh., 6"Spring Super Lift,RDP SS BL, RDP 650M dash,EV2's, (TCT Trans= POS), DFA RR, TYMAR, H&H, 6.0 IC, REDHEAD,D60,XRF BJ, Glock 21, and some things I forgot......
Work/Hunting/Family Truck.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:03 PM
Elder User

Jaaaaaaackman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WA.Ranger View Post
Wow, I responded in 05', 07', and now the end of 09'!

Your a seasoned veteran of the brotherhood ,,,,,, and if the pattern stays the same we'll read a post from you in 2011..........

Really thanks for the great info you all posted .......

97 F-250 XLT, SC ,Short box 4X4, 5 Speed,
Old 12-03-2009, 04:03 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
1996, 73, filter, ford, housing, jetta, location, lpop, oil, pictures, pressure, relief, replacing, valve, vw