Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

A-B-C's of posting PICTURES

Old 08-27-2005, 09:40 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A-B-C's of posting PICTURES

I am writing this here for our chapter members sakes - because we really want to see your pictures! I would not dare post this in the general discussion forum though - because I don't want the FTE servers to be overwhelmed by non-truck related pictures. It only has so much 'bandwidth', in other words it can only handle so much traffic, and pictures use a lot.

In line with that - pictures should be as small a file size as possible. I struggled with the illustration you are about to see because I wanted it to be as compact as I could get it, but still easy to read. Still - it had to be a picture of the letters and stuff, or the server would execute the markings and all you would see would be a picture (maybe!) and not how it was written.

The message boards use what is called "VIRTUAL BASIC" markup language for commands to do different things. If you look all the way down the "Post New Thread" or "Post Reply" window, on the left you will see a little box that is titled: "POSTING RULES" (which is a little misleading).

In it, in the bottom half it says -

vb Code is on
Smileys are on
IMG code is on
HTML is on

You can click on the blue highlighted parts of any of these for more information!!! (Not on the above - its just an example)

DO THAT SOON, and come back and look at this:

In regards to "PUTFILE.COM" - they use a similar system to FTE, and they conflict. (just a note) If you see anything in the web address that says "PHP" or "php" chances are it ain't gonna work. It means that a perl script application is involved, and it won't download over a link like that.
(Confused yet? Don't be. If that last part went over your head, just forget it and move on with this... It will probably make sense to you later on, trust me.)

The image tags are "Virtual Basic" tags, and are used by the message boards only. The rest is standard world wide web goobledygop, and is called HTML...

Once you have got that far, I will answer more questions for you - and I WILL be watching this thread. There are NO silly questions. Every question you ask will be treated totally seriously - I HAD TO LEARN THIS JUNK TOO once upon a time... "Every question someone asks that is truly answered well - also answers the questions of who knows how many other people"

And I will not leave you hanging without a straight answer as once upon a time happened to me.

FAIR ENOUGH?

~Greywolf

PSONEDIT: The UP side of Geocities is that they are fairly NON-INTRUSIVE to sign up for a free website at. They ask for an email address (you WILL need one to verify the account before it works), and whatever name you want to give, and that's about it.

The DOWN side is that on the weekends it is so highly trafficed that it may be difficult to sign in... The rest of the week it's a piece of cake.

Last edited by Greywolf; 08-27-2005 at 10:13 PM.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:42 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
By the way - if you need to look at the above the first few times while you copy the stuff in:

Hold down the "Ctrl" button on your keyboard and press "N".

This will open a NEW browser window that is a duplicate of what you are looking at, and you can size it down to refer to while you type. It's also helpful to know if you want to search for something at the same time you're doing something else...

Try it now!

Pressing "F11" will also give you more space, press it again to get out of it...

(Wolf Tip)

Last edited by Greywolf; 08-28-2005 at 08:55 AM.