1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

1997 F150 Fog Light Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 10:28 PM
macklj
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 F150 Fog Light Problem

Hi. I am new to this forum. First post. I searched the archives looking for an answer to my problem, but no luck. Hopefully someone can help me.

I have a Canadian made 1997 F150. I am trying to install fog lights in the factory slots but having little success. I thought this would be simple (first mistake). Before I started I checked to see if there was wiring for fog lights (there was - two connectors under truck) and if switch supported fog lights (it didn't - I installed a new switch that has the pull for fog lights option). I installed the new fogs and the new switch, but the lights are not working. I checked my user manual and found there are two fuses required for fogs (one in the cab, one under the hood). They are both good.

The fuse in the cab goes to a foglamp relay which I have not been able to find. My user manual doesn't show it and I can't locate it in all the usual places (fuse panel in the cab, fuse panel on drivers side under hood). I purchased a foglamp relay in case I need it, but not sure where to put it (in the truck I mean). Can anyone give me some advice? I need to know where the foglamp relay is located, and if there is anything else I need to do to get these things working. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by IB Tim; 08-27-2005 at 06:42 AM.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:41 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! Take a moment to read the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand this site.
Stick around someone will be by shortly to answer your question.
We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 08-27-2005, 10:01 AM
Scorpion_DvT
Freshman User
This maybe a silly question...but did you check the wires with a test light to see if you're getting power to the fog lights when switched? If not, could be a bad switch or a poor ground. Good luck.

Old 08-27-2005, 11:18 AM
macklj
New User
Thanks for the reply. I haven't checked the leads with a test light, but I don't think I am getting any power to the lights. The switch has an indicator that is supposed to light up when the fogs are on but the light does not come on when switch is pulled out. Switch is new. I guess it still could be bad. Just wondering if there was more I needed to do to install the fogs. Thanks again.

Old 08-27-2005, 09:03 PM
Scorpion_DvT
Freshman User
I don't think you need any extra parts, but I'm not sure. I had a Mustang that I added fog lights to, and it already had the connectors for them on the LX 5.0. Just got a factory switch and lights I was good to go. I didn't need a relay, or anything else, usually the that stuff is pre-wired so it makes "dealer options" easier to install. You may have a bad switch, but could be the wires too. It's tough, but hopefully someone here with more knowledge with electrical than me can give you better tips...good luck.

Old 08-30-2005, 12:47 PM
viking707
New User
I'm doing the same installation on my 97 F250 LD and have the same problem.
I bought a service manual on e-bay for $20 and got it yesterday, the relay is suppose to be under the hood in the power distribution box next to the fuse box. I have not had a chance to see if the fog light relay is installed. That is my project for tonight. I was reading the manual last night.

Good Luck

Old 08-30-2005, 06:45 PM
macklj
New User
Thanks to Scorpion_DvT and Viking707 for the replies. Viking707, if you find the problem with your lights and get them working, I would really appreciate hearing about it.

Here's a dumb question: How many wire connections do you have going to the back of your headlight switch? My truck has only two connectors I can connect to my switch (each a square gray connector), but my switch has a third connection for a rectangular connection. I accidentaly purchased a switch that has an auto dim dial so I thought this third connection was for the auto dim. However, I was doing some research and came across the following instructions for modifying the switch and connections so that fog lights can be turned on with the parking lights:

http://www.geocities.com/tedoca/headlight.html

This last picture shows a connector connected to the right side of the headlight switch that I don't have. I am wondering if this connection is for the fog lights and it wasn't wired by the factory. I assumed (big mistake) that since I had the wiring for the fog lights at the lights themselves that all the wiring was in place. Now I am wondering. The above link gives pretty good instructions if you are interested in making that modification. Good luck with your lights.

Old 08-30-2005, 07:37 PM
Scorpion_DvT
Freshman User
Macklj...try this, I was just looking at the Owner's Manual I downloaded for my '97 F150...

1- The fuse box (inside) Position 27 (column all the way to the right, 6 slots down) takes a 5 Amp fuse...it lists as the Foglamp Relay.

2- The Power Distribution Box.. Position 9 ( the bottom left, there'll be two rows with smaller fuses, it will the one furthest to the left and 5th slot, counting from the bottom ) takes a 15 Amp fuse.

I hope this helps, also, I don't see a listing for a relay position for the fog lights, so I don't know if it's already there, somewhere from the factory, I hope this helped and good luck.

Old 08-31-2005, 07:09 PM
viking707
New User
Macklj
Here is what I have found so far on my truck. I'm missing a 4 prong connector (C244) on the light switch which needs a wire W/BK according the manual. The black connector on the light switch is missing a yellow wire for the foglights, which goes to the fog light relay. The gray connector has all the wires it needs so it is OK. It looks like the dash needs to be removed to gain access to the wire bundle for me to be able to determine if the wires and connector are installed and just tied up somewhere.
It looks like it will have to be a weekend job, because I need the truck to get to work.

Old 08-31-2005, 09:41 PM
macklj
New User
Thanks again to Scorpion_DvT and Viking707 for the replies. Scorpion, I did find those fuses in my users manual as well and they were installed and not blown. Thanks for the info.

Viking, sounds like what I was afraid of. I don't have those connections at my switch so I guess it means I too will have to look for them in my dash. It's pretty frustrating that Ford puts the wires in at the lights so it looks like everything is ready to go (my original switch even pulled out like the owners manual says to make fogs come on). Unfortunately, not as easy as it looks. I am going to be unable to work on mine for a couple weeks so unfortunately won't be able to give you any help. Good luck with yours. I'll look at mine soon. Thanks again for the info.

Old 09-06-2005, 10:09 AM
viking707
New User
Macklj
I took the dash apart this weekend and could not find the wires, so I will be wiring the lights up myself using a kit. Going to try to wire it to the headlight module I had to buy. Anyone have any ideas on where the wires are located?

Old 09-07-2005, 04:20 PM
montanafordman
Senior User
I did the fog light upgrade on my 98 F-150 and had a factory upgrade kit, did the work myself but they provided me with a new wire harness for the foglights, it wasn't a very hard install at all, and I can't remember exactly how I spliced into the headlight wires, but I remember having to install an extra bosch relay on the firewall and run a single yellow wire in under the dash to the new switch, I had to pull a single wire out of the factory harness that plugged into the old switch, tape it back and plug the old harness and yellow wire into the new switch... Maybe I'll look for some documentation or go take a look, but like I said it was a simple process, just required some new wires at the lights that I think spliced in just behind the headlights, and the new relay and single wire to the switch. Hope that helps. If I find anything out I'll post back.

Old 09-18-2005, 02:14 PM
viking707
New User
Macklj
I finished the foglight installation. Here is how I did it.
I used the headlight switch I bought with the foglight option and got a pin at the Car Quest parts store that fit the connectors. I also got a wiring kit for foglights, for the relay and fuse. I followed the instructions from the kit and wired it up. This took a few hours, but the lights work.