1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner
View Poll Results: Which gets better mileage in your experience?
I have both and the single shot gets better mileage.
12.50%
I have both and the split shot gets better mileage.
37.50%
I've owned both and the single shot got better mileage.
12.50%
I've owned both and the split shot gets better mileage.
25.00%
I have both now and they get about the same mileage.
12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Better mileage: Single or Split shots?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 10:50 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Better mileage: Single or Split shots?

I am curious about something. This poll is mostly directed at people that have more than one truck in thier possession, at least one being single shot injectore and the other one being a split shot. My theory is that single shot injectors are much better at fuel economy than split shots.
Please post your findings.

Old 08-26-2005, 12:39 AM
1997F-350
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i voted for the i owned both splits better. but really i own a single and my dad owns a split. same trucks 5 speeds and 4x4's his beats mine by about 6 mpg.... btw i put a ts 6 pos chip and a dp i bought him on it today and man his truck sure does put out the smoke. i thought mine did but holy smokesss ............his really does. i will be trading in my AA's for some AD's soon. btw they are much quieter.

Old 08-26-2005, 07:13 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
LOL. You've blown my theory out of the water so far. Anyone else?

Old 08-26-2005, 09:19 AM
Cobratodd
Senior User
help me understand...

What's the difference?
I'm new to all this and have an `02 F350 - 7.3l
Is that a single or split?
Just trying to learn....

Old 08-26-2005, 09:51 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
A single shot injector has a solid plunger. All the fuel for each injection event is injected in one single shot. They were installed in all the 94.5 to 97's. I am unsure about the early 99's.
A split shot injector has a circular groove cut into the plunger with a relief passage to interrupt the injection mid-event. Once the groove gets past the relief passage, injection resumes. In effect you get two injections per event. So it was termed split shot. 99.5's on all get them.

Old 08-26-2005, 09:57 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have both types in the family, and the split shot trucks all get better milage than the single's, but I don't think it's an apples to apples comparision as the newer trucks all have far fewer miles on them and I've built the fuel systems on them.

I'm assuming you are contemplating aftermarket injectors, and in that event any new or newly rebuilt injector should yield better milage than your stock 100K+ (?) injectors. Without direct experience with aftermarket injectors I feel that singles are inherently a little better at both milage and power.

Old 08-26-2005, 11:52 AM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I didny vote, cuz I just own single. but My buddie has an '02 F250 and he gets terrible milage on the freeway. 15 if he is lucky. I build him a 6637 intake, he had a full 5" exhaust put on it, and a hypertech programmer. I beleive 3:73 gears. I can get 18's if I am nice and stay under 65 with my 4:10's

Diesel Rod

Old 08-26-2005, 12:13 PM
westpsd
Senior User
I have an early '99. Does anyone know which type of injector I have? Are there any reliability issues with either? I currently have 112000 miles on mine, and nothing has been done to the injectors or glow plugs. Are there things I should consider as preventative maintenance in these areas?

Old 08-26-2005, 05:25 PM
watermanh
Senior User
Since we're on the subject of single/split shot injectors, I have a question. I read somewhere that 97 CA trucks have split shot injectors. Can't find that post anymore, can anyone verify? Aloha guys.

Old 08-26-2005, 06:43 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I believe that is accurate. 97 model CA emissions trucks and all 99 and up trucks are split shot.

Old 08-26-2005, 10:55 PM
barebackjake
Postmaster
yep splits get way better mileage. my 225cc splits got way better mileage from my stockers. yes 97 CA emmssion trucks have splits in them. you can tell by the big fuel pulse damper on the pump. i just got tired of the tuning issues i was having with the splits and some of the other associated issues i was having with them. since the some of the fuel is getting a quicker start than the bulk it helps make a more complete burn. also helps with emmssions also.

Old 08-26-2005, 11:24 PM
mech2161
Posting Guru
Kwik, I've talked to a lot of people about this. If you compare the same size injectors splits and singles with proper programing they claim the singles get better mileage. I ordered a set of 530 hybrids from BDP. I decided to go this route after talking to Jody at DP Tuner. He told me he can give me a tune for daily driving and light towing. He said it will have some smoke when your on it hard but it is managable. On the other hand there is plenty left for me to grow with. I'm really getting into pulling and don't want stage II's then something else later. You should give him a call he's real easy to talk to and can help you decide.
Made my third hook Tuesday at Hookstown PA. First place was 299 fifth was 291, I took fourth. Eight feet from first to fith, sixth place was twenty one feet behind fifth. That's a fourth, a sixth and another fourth. Man what a rush.

Old 08-27-2005, 08:41 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by cookie88
I have both types in the family, and the split shot trucks all get better milage than the single's, but I don't think it's an apples to apples comparision as the newer trucks all have far fewer miles on them and I've built the fuel systems on them.

I'm assuming you are contemplating aftermarket injectors, and in that event any new or newly rebuilt injector should yield better milage than your stock 100K+ (?) injectors. Without direct experience with aftermarket injectors I feel that singles are inherently a little better at both milage and power.
I see your point on the mileage, Cookie88. These are pretty reliable engines though, I would think if the blowby is about the same at the CCV, they could be called equal in wear.
At this point I have no plans for big injectors. It's just not what I want to do with this truck. It's for pulling a heavy trailer, even with stock fuel it pulls steep hills with ease.
I also feel that singles are better at mileage.

Originally Posted by mech2161
Kwik, I've talked to a lot of people about this. If you compare the same size injectors splits and singles with proper programing they claim the singles get better mileage. I ordered a set of 530 hybrids from BDP. I decided to go this route after talking to Jody at DP Tuner. He told me he can give me a tune for daily driving and light towing. He said it will have some smoke when your on it hard but it is managable. On the other hand there is plenty left for me to grow with. I'm really getting into pulling and don't want stage II's then something else later. You should give him a call he's real easy to talk to and can help you decide.
Made my third hook Tuesday at Hookstown PA. First place was 299 fifth was 291, I took fourth. Eight feet from first to fith, sixth place was twenty one feet behind fifth. That's a fourth, a sixth and another fourth. Man what a rush.
That's what I was thinking. Giving a strictly apples to apples comparison giving all the fuel in one shot, I think, would generate more heat in the combustion event than splitting it up.
I'm going to the Diesel Drags and Tractor Pull Championship at Seattle International Raceway this Sept 5th. Just to spectate. NHRA is my favorite racing to watch, bar none. I love the feeling of your chesh getting pounded by the exhaust from a top fuel dragster while sitting in the stands 100 yard away. Earplugs required! This will be my first diesel powered meet and I am excited to see what it's like.

Originally Posted by barebackjake
yep splits get way better mileage. my 225cc splits got way better mileage from my stockers. yes 97 CA emmssion trucks have splits in them. you can tell by the big fuel pulse damper on the pump. i just got tired of the tuning issues i was having with the splits and some of the other associated issues i was having with them. since the some of the fuel is getting a quicker start than the bulk it helps make a more complete burn. also helps with emmssions also.
And this is in the same truck, with the same tune?

Old 08-27-2005, 09:07 PM
barebackjake
Postmaster
no differnt tuning between the splits and the singles. programs are quite a bit differnt between the two. but both of the programs i am basing this off of are jodi's hot tow programs. i still get better mileage off the hotter programs than stock or more mild. but i think its due to the fact that i dont have to push the truck as hard to get the same end result. ive got bdp s1's in now that are single shots and im getting better all around mileage. i think its part to due that my stockers have 160k miles on them and they hadnt been gone through. the 225's were modified from new parts, and my stage 1's were modded with some new parts. im much happier with the stage 1's for the towing and everyday driving.

Old 08-27-2005, 10:13 PM
mech2161
Posting Guru
barebackjake were the 225's Beans 530 hybrid singles? If so are they for sale?

Quick Reply: Better mileage: Single or Split shots?