GAS OUT BoyCot

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 09:14 PM
Jimbo427
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up GAS OUT BoyCot

A gas out (boycot)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I received this email a few minutes ago and thought I would share it with the rest of our community to see if we could all join in and make a little difference. It makes perfect sense and if we can get enough people involved, by passing on the word about this to our own friends and family, we might just have a chance!

Six years ago on April 30,1999, a gas out was staged across Canada and the U.S. to bring the price of gas down, and it worked. It's time to do something about it again.

This time, lets make it for three days instead of just one. The oil cartel decided to slow production to drive up gasoline prices. Lets see how many American people we can get to ban together for a three day period in August NOT TO BUY ANY GASOLINE, during those three days.

LETS HAVE A GAS OUT. Do not buy any gasoline from August 29, 2005, THROUGH August 31, 2005. Buy what you need before the dates listed above, or after, but try not to buy any during the GAS OUT. If you want to help, just send this to everyone you know and ask them to do the same. We brought the prices down once before, and we can do it again!
Come on North America lets stand together.

WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Old 08-24-2005, 09:18 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
The ONLY Boycott that could ever have a chance of causing the price of fuel to drop is for Absolutely Everyone to Just stop buying IT for at least 2 years

This will not only bring the country to a standstill but it will have every politician & Oil Tycoon to stand up & take notice.

Power to the people can only by made by NUMBERS.

It will take Millions of people to achieve lower prices.

Old 08-24-2005, 09:40 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In the course of the past two months, I have only bought a total of seven gallons.
Most of it for lawn mowers.

(Don't ask - it's a dreary story)

The essense of it is that I cannot afford to drive around as I had hoped to.

Consequently I DON'T...

Last edited by Greywolf; 08-24-2005 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:43 PM
Stapler123
Mountain Pass
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
alright i'm in, but then again, i have yet to get gas this month.
I'm a lucky sob with work only being 5 minutes away.
What does anyone thing about the mideast oil boycot strategy.. not buying from mid east supplied companies?

Old 08-24-2005, 09:46 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Have you a bicycle???????

"The Mother Company" is due a wake up call...

Old 08-24-2005, 09:47 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Stapler123
alright i'm in, but then again, i have yet to get gas this month.
I'm a lucky sob with work only being 5 minutes away.
What does anyone thing about the mideast oil boycot strategy.. not buying from mid east supplied companies?
Because it's very hard to pinpoint where the crude that your gas is made from comes from.

Heck, I've been unitentionally boycotting since July 29. I hardly ever drive anymore. Filled up on that date and I still have over half a tank.

What we really need is a trucker union strike. That not only slows gas sales, but also affects the economy which will really make the politicians take notice.

Mike

Old 08-24-2005, 09:49 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Yes, but what happens to the 'little people' at the stores and elsewhere....

The majority consumers are those of us who drive around needlessly.

"GASOLINE" is not the preferred fuel of "Commerce"

Historically - it has always been the choice of commercial concerns to use whatever is the least expensive, and for that reason i believe BIODIESEL will be horded by large corporations any way they can aquire it - even to restricting the sources of raw cooking oil within industry.

I saw that coming months ago.

Last edited by Greywolf; 08-24-2005 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:54 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
Collateral damage.

What happens to the gas station owners when we don't buy gas? They don't make as much as you think. I've heard that most actually lose money per gallon on the cheap stuff.

What happens to the mechanics who don't have as many cars to work on?

You can't have change without sacrafice.

It's those same consumers that drive needlessly that are impossible to organise. Trucker unions would be a large number of high volume consumers not buying fuel.

Mike

Old 08-24-2005, 09:57 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
We will have "Hitching Posts" in front of stores before long.

I look forward to it....

You can only sell what people are willing to BUY.
And if the price is too great, they will seek other means.

Recently I saw an eight person covered carriage being drawn by a team of two horses in the Drummonds Tennessee area. I doubt it will be the last, and it had rubber tires.

Last edited by Greywolf; 08-24-2005 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:16 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Boycotting gas for a day or a couple of days doesn't work. You will only buy gas the day before or the day after. Not driving, though, that makes a difference. Ride a bike to work, call out sick, whatever.

Old 08-24-2005, 10:26 PM
Beechkid
Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
In SoCal we boycotted all Mobile stations (prior to their merger) for 30 days....the owners/managers jumped all over the exec's, over 1,000,000 gallons per week in sales were lost, that backed up the refineries in terms of screwing up their supply/demand formulas.....their stock even dropped 2 points on the nasdaq just because of the publicity.....they ended up dropping the wholesale prices almost 11 cents per gallon and then it started flowing again, of course, the ol supply/demand theory came to play causing the others to drop their prices also since Mobile was so much cheaper in the consumers eyes!

Old 08-24-2005, 10:27 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
Allways the nay-sayer, I don't think a boycott would work for this, at least not in the long run. They'll just drive up prices even more for those that DO have to drive. . .to make up profit losses. I think thats where the gas hikes have come from, Big Oil needs to make up for lost profits with the coming of fuel thrifty vehicles I know, just conspiracy theories

Last edited by Franken-Truck; 08-24-2005 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:27 PM
AlfredB1979
Posting Guru
Well, too late for me to help. I gassed up on the way home from church. Have an interview with a certain refinery that produces PVC and other related plastics and another in Houston on Friday that does land oil rig work.....

Keep it going--whatever "it" is--because I don't think I had this many refinery employment related interviews/tests EVER!

"Six years ago on April 30,1999, a gas out was staged across Canada and the U.S. to bring the price of gas down, and it worked."

Really? We didn't hear about it. I was driving a 69 Beetle in 98 and I know gas was about 80 cents/gal around then. I wasn't that way forever. Besides, gubbermintally, Canada is STILL Canada! Not that our one-party system is any better, but you get the drift. No one took notice for long. Canada did have a trucker strike recently....but as for getting the empty gubbermint-type suits to take notice, as long as we pay their salaries and keep them in office, their thought is, "What? Me worry?"

Last edited by AlfredB1979; 08-24-2005 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:37 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
I live a block from where I work for the Public Works and a block from my firehouse that I volunteer at. I walk everywhere. My truck will sit for 3-5 days at a time. For every day that it sits, I feel like I'm screwing the oil companies out of money and it gives me a nice warm feeling inside.

Mike

Old 08-25-2005, 07:16 AM
76supercab2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Waste of time, waste of bandwidht, won't make any difference what-so-ever. Do you really think the huge oil companies generate a !!DAILY!! profit and loss statement for all the billions of dollars they deal with annually?

If you really want them to notice, get your whole state to not buy gas for all of next month. THAT'S the scale that any boycott would have to be to be noticed. Anything else is just an Email virus.

Quick Reply: GAS OUT BoyCot