Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Nitrous on your powerstroke?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 07:15 PM
crapr6
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nitrous on your powerstroke?

hey guys, its been a while since i last posted on here, but i have a few ?
Is anybody one here using nitrous on there powerstroke? (dry kit)
What jet do u have installed for what HP?
I understand that there is no need for any addition fuel unless u are going with a bigger shot like a 90-130hp shot...My ? is i have 95 PSD with 3in down pipe to a 4in pipe and comes out right before the rear tire (no muffler no cat), 99 superduty front mount intercooler, AFE cold air intake, and superchips power programer, boost gauge, egt gauge, and has the 5 speed manule...what HP shot do u think is safe to fun with the mods i have done..i know i have some raw fuel due to the fact that i have a bit of black smoke out of the exhaust, so since the extra fuel do u think it is safe to run the higher HP shot like aleast 90HP? (egt's never go past 1,000 degrees)
Sorry..last ? i have seen some guys using a extra nitrous solenoid with an unknow jet in line to inject even more fuel right into the cold side of the intercooler pipe about 6ins before the manifold. Do u think that is safe to do if i want to use the higher HP shot?
I understand there is a bit of tuning to do to get this down right, but i figured i ask here before moving on and maybe save myself some time..
thanks
Erik

Old 08-25-2005, 05:39 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
i have seen some guys using a extra nitrous solenoid with an unknow jet in line to inject even more fuel right into the cold side of the intercooler pipe about 6ins before the manifold.
Nitrous isn't fuel, nitrous is air. Your turbo provides air. If you're getting black smoke, you need a turbo that can provide the air necessary for an efficient burn.

Old 08-25-2005, 07:53 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Quadzilla's right. Nitrous by itself won't give you much more power. If you want to inject something extra, consider propane and water injection.

Old 08-25-2005, 08:42 AM
Ed Willmott
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Quadzilla's right. Nitrous by itself won't give you much more power. If you want to inject something extra, consider propane and water injection.
Sorry to post dumb question, but hey, I am an idiot!
I understand injecting propane as it is fuel, but water? As a cooling agent or what? Just curious.

Old 08-25-2005, 09:19 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Water is a cooling agent. Doesn't take much, just a fine mist.

Old 08-26-2005, 09:06 AM
crapr6
Senior User
Thanks for the replys, so do u think i should do the "Snow Performance" meth/water injection instead of the nitrous?...

Old 08-26-2005, 09:13 AM
Fordafied
Senior User
It all depends on what you want to do with the truck. You can start with ditching the Superchips and go with a custom burned flip chip. There will be a big difference there. Water/meth is a good HP mod, but it is not the best for running all the time due to the refill times. Propane is another good HP mod and combine that with a custom burned chip you will see significant gains also. The big question is what you want to accomplish. Hope this helps some.

Old 08-26-2005, 09:29 AM
crapr6
Senior User
Originally Posted by Fordafied
It all depends on what you want to do with the truck. You can start with ditching the Superchips and go with a custom burned flip chip. There will be a big difference there. Water/meth is a good HP mod, but it is not the best for running all the time due to the refill times. Propane is another good HP mod and combine that with a custom burned chip you will see significant gains also. The big question is what you want to accomplish. Hope this helps some.
Well i tow with this truck "sometimes" so iam not to worry about to high of egt's since most of the time driving is unloaded..plus currently the hottest the egt's get is about 1,000-1,100 degree's..thats why i didn't think i need the meth/water injection since i thought that was used to cool down the egt's so u can add more fuel, etc.
I would like to have this truck much faster then it is, more touque, and hp..
I know the super chip's is JUNK, and i have to have my buddy change the caught code in the pcm so i can have Bank's big hoss chip burned. Iam not really intrested in the propane, since the kit is around 600-700 bucks then u have to buy and mount this huge propane tank somewhere.
Thats why i was thinking about the NOS nitrous kit, i have used these kit's before on my Malibu and Mustang with not problems (didnt get to gready with the HP shot) the kit isnt that much money and my buddy fill's bottles at his shop and really dosnt charge me much.
Hey if i have so money to throw away i would just go with the meth/water injection, and add some bigger fuel injector's, i know then it would be much faster....
So anyway do u think i should go get this chip burned first??? best bang for the buck????
thanks
Erik

Old 08-26-2005, 10:23 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A new chip will help some, but you are limited by the small volume of your stock injectors. A hot chip and a set of baby swamps will only get you about even, power wise, with a split shot PSD with only a hot chip.

If you are wanting 100 additional horsepower, injectors are the best way to get there.

Old 08-26-2005, 10:45 AM
Fordafied
Senior User
Originally Posted by cookie88
A new chip will help some, but you are limited by the small volume of your stock injectors. A hot chip and a set of baby swamps will only get you about even, power wise, with a split shot PSD with only a hot chip.

If you are wanting 100 additional horsepower, injectors are the best way to get there.
I agree, injectors are the best way but,,,, they are way over $600 to $700 and if you get big injectors, you will have to upgrade the fuel system which is plenty more $$$$$$$. AAAHHHH decisions decisions.

Wait a minute, I just thought of something else. I just though, you have a 95. I am not sure since I have a 2000, but can't you shim the fuel pressure regulator or something like that to get a little more fuel. Maybe some one else with that model will chime in on this. Just a thought.

Last edited by Fordafied; 08-26-2005 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:57 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Wait a minute, I just thought of something else. I just though, you have a 95. I am not sure since I have a 2000, but can't you shim the fuel pressure regulator or something like that to get a little more fuel. Maybe some one else with that model will chime in on this. Just a thought.
Absolutely right. That and a 10K mod could get him 20-30 HP for almost free.

Old 08-26-2005, 11:04 AM
crapr6
Senior User
oh yeah i forgot to add that into my mod's, since they where free mods i kinda forgot about them, i did shim the pressure regulator with a BB and i did the 10k mod which didnt seem to do really anything....i know injectors are the ticket, but i dont have 1500-2000 grand for injectors, i have about 600 bucks to play with and really am thinking about doing the chip now.... thanks guys for the input...
Erik

Old 08-26-2005, 11:15 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
A water injection system can add 50+ horsepower when you add a little meth. to the mix. I'm not sure if you can get 50 more with a chip, depends on how hard your injectors are being squeezed now.

Old 08-26-2005, 11:58 AM
crapr6
Senior User
Originally Posted by cookie88
A water injection system can add 50+ horsepower when you add a little meth. to the mix. I'm not sure if you can get 50 more with a chip, depends on how hard your injectors are being squeezed now.
Well iam going to see if i get the chip or not, iam sure if i get the chip its going to increase the egt's abit and i might just have to get the water/meth injetion to keep the egt's controlable...ill let u guys know what i decide to do and the out come of it all..thanks
Erik

Old 08-26-2005, 02:02 PM
edub32
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by crapr6
i have seen some guys using a extra nitrous solenoid with an unknow jet in line to inject even more fuel right into the cold side of the intercooler pipe about 6ins before the manifold.

Nitrous isn't fuel, nitrous is air. Your turbo provides air. If you're getting black smoke, you need a turbo that can provide the air necessary for an efficient burn.
With a wet system you would be adding both fuel and N20 into the motor...but I've never seen a wet N20 system on a diesel. A good nitrous alternative is the Nitrous Express n-tercooler. It's a nitrous system with this ring thing...you take the ring thing and bolt it up to your intercooler. The ring has all these holes in it so the nitrous can be sprayed through it and all over the intercooler. The air would be nice and cold before going into the engine. Here's a link to it:http://www.prostreetonline.com/buy/nx_n-tercooler_kit/

Last edited by edub32; 08-26-2005 at 02:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Nitrous on your powerstroke?