General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Is Trillian really the best IM?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 08:52 AM
Country Sweetie
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Trillian really the best IM?

I was wondering if any of yall used Trillian for an instant messenger.If so,has it gave you any troubles,such as viruses, slowing your computer, or messing up anything?

http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/learn/

Old 08-23-2005, 08:58 AM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have used it for about 5 months now. It is nice only having one program to load up. I do not have any problems with viruses/spyware. Great program IMHO.

-Matt

Old 08-23-2005, 09:10 AM
Country Sweetie
Elder User
Hey thanks! I really needed to know that,so I could tell mom.Our last computer still runs but is very slow and has tons of viruses from when my brother downloaded a bunch of things.

Old 08-23-2005, 09:47 AM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i didnt like it, didnt get the features u get with the messenger service

Matt

Old 08-23-2005, 01:38 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
I used to use ICQ (pre 1999) then MSN now AIM. Lots of my freinds use trillian, but say that it still has compatavility issues (with things like file transfers)

Old 08-23-2005, 03:37 PM
Sprung
Junior User
Ive used Trillian for over a year. The Free version DOES have some minor issues, but the full paid version is 100x better. Generally, I haevnt run into anything I cant do except see some of the Yahoo secret smilies. I have no problems transferring files to AIM or Yahoo, or ICQ. I can view Webcams and have voice chat.

I think it is one of the few programs out tehre worth paying for. It is $25 I believe (or $19.. I forget) but well worth it.

It's definately nicer than having to install Yahoo IM and ICQ and MSN and ANYTHING from AOL is a memory HOG.. So one program is definately better.

$.03 from me..

BD

Old 08-23-2005, 03:49 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
or free via limewire

Matt

Old 08-24-2005, 10:37 AM
Country Sweetie
Elder User
I havn't goten to message anyone yet on it,but so far as set up goes I like it.Lets me know when I got mail now,so I don't have to check every day.I'm only useing it for aim and msn.So I think it'll work just fine for me, all I care to do is send a message.I don't like the sending files,web cam,and all that.I didn't even care for mic when I used it.Most people said I sounded to southern at times to understand me.I'd much rather use the phone,but I have one contact thats not family on there so I can't call him.lol

Old 08-26-2005, 03:55 PM
jpruett1
Junior User
Gaim

Trillian is a good client if you use multiple IM accounts (MSN, Yahoo, AIM, ICQ, IRC, etc.). The main advantage is that you don't have to have all of the above IM clients open just trillian.

I personally use Gaim (http://gaim.sourceforge.net/). It is like trillian, free, and it gets updates pretty regular (for free).

Josh

Old 08-26-2005, 04:16 PM
Country Sweetie
Elder User
Mom got little up set with me.I liked trillian,and it seemed to be really good.Loved the fact that I didn't have to have two clients open.But I didn't feel confortable disabling my firewall so I uninstalled Trillian and got AIM back.Now if I can sweet talk couple people into geting msn messenger I'll uninstall aim.I like windows messenger alot,just wish I could of installed some add ins.Now if I want to know if I got mail I'll have to install msn messenger.

Old 08-26-2005, 05:08 PM
DT 466Man
Posting Guru
Man it'd be nice to IM people, i gotta get my friends to start.

DT

Old 08-26-2005, 09:02 PM
Country Sweetie
Elder User
I loved IMing people at first.I was to shy for 2 years to talk on the phone much.Now I rather call people.It is nice if you have a long distance friend.Or get charged to call folks.It is mostly annoying to me now.That's why I just want windows messenger.It's real simple and I just like the layout alot better.Plus,no one is one now.All my time on the computer is spent on here and the few e-mails I send out.lol

Old 08-26-2005, 11:29 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Originally Posted by Country Sweetie
Mom got little up set with me.I liked trillian,and it seemed to be really good.Loved the fact that I didn't have to have two clients open.But I didn't feel confortable disabling my firewall so I uninstalled Trillian and got AIM back.Now if I can sweet talk couple people into geting msn messenger I'll uninstall aim.I like windows messenger alot,just wish I could of installed some add ins.Now if I want to know if I got mail I'll have to install msn messenger.
in order to use trillian, you have to disable your firewall? That doesn't sound right

Old 08-27-2005, 03:51 AM
RomerB2
Postmaster
I've tried it once and it didn't seem friendly. Then another time I tried ICQ and it didn't do a thing for me. I'm into AIM, and that's where all my friends are at. I figured I'll just keep AIM, my email (Gmail), and I'll be set.

I don't think you have to disable the firewall for Trillian though..

Old 08-27-2005, 04:01 AM
Stapler123
Mountain Pass
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
i'm a beleiver in Gaim myself. Free, and it does all I need.

Quick Reply: Is Trillian really the best IM?