1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Has anyone done a non-muffler straight-pipe on a 4.6?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 04:21 PM
GammaDriver
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone done a non-muffler straight-pipe on a 4.6?

Hi guys. I'm in a state which isn't checking for mufflers, and I know that on my last truck, with the catalytics still installed, the sound without a muffler wasn't bad at all.

I'm wondering just how harsh a sound will be made if I have a local shop just put a stright pipe in there. Theoretically this should maintain, and even improve (by not hindering) the exhaust velocity, thus it should be the best for fuel savings. I've contemplated getting a Flowmaster series 40, but I have to ask myself 'why' if I could just avoid it all together?

This would be on a 1999 4.6 extended-cab long bed 5-speed.

Best,

Old 08-21-2005, 05:02 PM
code_red
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
didnt do it on my truck , but however did it on a 2004 corvette. It was loud and didnt really notice any performance improvement. you will definitely hear it coming up the street.Ide stick with your flowmaster

Old 08-21-2005, 05:24 PM
chrono4
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well, you could save the dough, and skip the flowie, and just go for a glasspack, or somting of the like, dont know how it would sound on it though, never heard it.

Old 08-21-2005, 06:00 PM
Wesdogg26
New User
On a blown 351, at the track, screaming down the strip it sounds great. But I wouldn't do it on your truck. I have a friend who tried it out on a 99 4.6 with the normal bolt-ons...2 days later he had a Flowmaster on it. It is loud, so if you just want loudness, go for it, but most people who heard the truck (including myself) thought it sounded horrible.

Old 08-21-2005, 06:48 PM
GammaDriver
Posting Guru
K, thanks, that is all i needed to know. See, some vehicles actually DO sound ok with no muffler, but all cats in place, and that is why i asked. Even without a muffler it should not be equivalent to a track vehicle with straight headers, thus I'm still not sure I'm getting a valid response here... don't compare apples to oranges.

I'll order a flowmaster tonight.

Thank you for your input.

Old 08-21-2005, 08:19 PM
Wesdogg26
New User
K, thanks, that is all i needed to know. See, some vehicles actually DO sound ok with no muffler, but all cats in place, and that is why i asked. Even without a muffler it should not be equivalent to a track vehicle with straight headers, thus I'm still not sure I'm getting a valid response here... don't compare apples to oranges.

I'll order a flowmaster tonight.

Thank you for your input.

No problem, but you must have misunderstood what I said. I was just saying that it sounds great on a track car...not on a stock 4.6. Wasn't comparing. So if you are just looking for others input, mine was that is sounded horrible on my friends truck. But take it how you want and I hope you enjoy your results with the Flowmaster.

Old 08-21-2005, 08:21 PM
Wesdogg26
New User
No problem, but you must have misunderstood what I said. I was just saying that it sounds great on a track car...not on a stock 4.6. Wasn't comparing. So if you are just looking for others input, mine was that is sounded horrible on my friends truck. But take it how you want and I hope you enjoy your results with the Flowmaster.

Old 08-21-2005, 08:53 PM
GammaDriver
Posting Guru
Well gosh darn it... flowmaster doesn't make a cat-back system with a 40-series... I had to go for a 50 series and dual exhausts, neither of which I wanted.

But it looks as if the hanger for that part of the system is on the stock muffler, so I'm apprehensive to just order a muffler and try to fit it on. Any experience with just a flowmaster muffler, guys? will it fit in and still hold the exhaust up?

Old 08-21-2005, 10:50 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I have heard a 97 shortbed with a 4.6L 5-speed with dual straight pipes from the converters back that exited out in front of each rear wheel. It wasn't too loud at all.

Old 08-21-2005, 11:07 PM
GammaDriver
Posting Guru
Well, back to the drawing board. I put my SUmmit Racing order on hold until I can get the low-down on just waht I'm facing here.

Since I'm a teacher, money is very tight - and the point of the conversion is to get fuel savings from a less-restrictive, not ridiculously loud, exhaust. A good muffler (40 series?) and the OEM single exhaust -should- be enough, should be lighter (not that that amount of weight really matters), and it isn't going to lose much vs. the cat-back 1-into-2 pipes that are for mainly show anyway.

I am going to try two things here... first: disconnect the muffler and start it up - possibly driving it around.

Second: measure and take a good look at what it would take to put in a 40-series muffler without an exhaust hanger. Even if I can use the existing tailpipe section after cutting it off of the rear of the muffler, I'll need a piece of exhaust tubing in front of the muffler to reach, and some sort of system to hang it all from (a cable?)

advice appreciated at this point!

Best,
GD

Old 08-22-2005, 07:45 AM
53ford
Tuned
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
I recently experimented with the exhaust on my 02 4.6 5 speed. I removed the stock system just after the y pipe to see what it sounded like. Nice rumble, but loud. Could not carry on a conversation while driving, but everyone knew you were around. Next I added a short piece of pipe a glasspack and a turndown. Drove this for a few days. It really sounded good then, but my turn down ended up throwing the heat directly on the brake lines and the rear axle. I did not feel this was good long term. I ended up with a Magnaflow SIDO catback system, which was my original intention when starting . Nice system, easy install, mild increase in sound over stock.
I shouldn't have to worry about exhaust for the rest of the life of the truck, but, my opinion if I had to do it again is. To get the most bang for the buck, the best sound on this engine, and if you are not going for the look of pipes, is to get a quality glasspack and install it in place of the original muffler and keep the original tail pipe.

Old 08-22-2005, 09:53 AM
1tall98
New User
I have a 98 extended cab with the 4.6 in it and have true duals from the cats back. 18 inch glasspack muffs and stainless tips sounds pretty good, not to loud to me but they do exit the straight out the back. Have had a lot of comments on how well it sounds too.

Old 08-22-2005, 01:35 PM
ddrumman2004
Posting Guru
I had a Flowmaster put on my 97 4.6 and I have had a lot of compliments on how good it sounds. Not loud....nice and mellow.

Just how much fuel are you planning on saving running straight pipes?

Old 08-22-2005, 04:29 PM
Octane
Posting Guru
My '99 F-150 didnt have a muffler on it when I firtst bought it, and it was LOUD. I have a 5.4L though, not a 4.6L.
I put a Flowmaster 50 Series on it, and now it sounds good, not just loud.
Octane

Old 08-22-2005, 04:36 PM
GammaDriver
Posting Guru
LOL, I have no clue about fuel savings, but that is my goal: a less restrictive exhaust via a nice flowing muffler. With as small as the 4.6 is, the stock 3" single tubing should be perfect if the muffler isn't a problem. The thing I don't like about a glasspack is the baffles and the turbulence they cause. I am definately not going for sound here, nor looks. Just a system that does its job and gets an improvement.

Now I'm really not sure how restrictive the OEM muffler is on the truck, but I do know that on my 1993 4.9 the stock muffler did cause a loss in HP.

I'm just having a problem with finding what is right for me as its seems most people play with exhaust for looks and sound these days. I just don't have the heart to go with a dual-setup when it isn't a true dual system, and i'm not sure the little 4.6 warrants a set of tru duals anyway (sure, maybe in a mustang, but as a truck I'm not normally revving the engine that high).

Still love the input though, thanks guys. I'm headed into the 'net to do some more research.

Best,

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a non-muffler straight-pipe on a 4.6?