Iowa Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

I hate working on old houses

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 05:58 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool I hate working on old houses

my back porch roof has been leaking all year finally got he time was just going to tear it down to the sheeting, and put new sheeting on, shingle it for now (the rest of the roof is going to need done soon too) well the sheeting was dry rotted so tore that off, and found the rafters (or whatever those are called) were also dry rotted then found another roof under that which was also dry rotted then so on, and so on. I am scared to go after all the dry rot might end up with just the foundation left, and I don't even want to live here so really don't want to spend the money to start over.
I had to rebuild one of hte header boards for one wall, and now have to go back and get some more lumber and start building from the walls up. sure hope it don't rain tonight cause I am not going to make it to menards to buy the lumber till on my way home. I figure I will just stop by on my way home with the big truck usually only have a half of a trailer full on monday so plenty of room to fill it up, and then just stop by the house and unload that part before delivering the trailer. atleast I can save the gas of driving 50 miles one way with my pickup, and won't be out of hte way with the big truck at all since I drive right by a menards everyday.

Old 08-22-2005, 07:59 AM
69 and 85
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know what you mean.... I have an old house (not the one we live in but a project from when I HAD money!) It's small.. just a couple of rooms actually. It had bugs - not termites, but bugs going for the moisture. Part of it was water logged and part was dry rotted and crumbling. I torn off two porches was got rid of most of the crap and had to replace a wall, etc.

The house we live in over 100 years old. It is sound, but has been poorly remodeled 5 or 6 times. Basically just tearing out all the crap work others have done and updating as we go. There wasn't any "antique" value or "charm" to save.... but plenty of garden hose in the wall for water pipe, lamp cord for wiring between switches/ ceiling lights, and finding where in the h377 the mice were coming in from.