Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-16-2005, 05:39 PM
Senior User

randle_ford is starting off with a positive reputation.
Transmission oil pan bolt hole stripped.

While replacing the transmission oil pan one of the 10mm bolts didn't snug up properly. Instead it just continued to "spin" in the hole. I removed the bolt and noticed the top half of the threads of the bolt had metal shavings on them. Then I looked up the hole with a flashlight and found what I expected . . . the hole was smooth instead of threaded.

I was thinking of simply retapping the hole with 1mm higher size and then using a bigger bolt just for this hole location.

Will this work?

Currently the pan is leaking at the gasket. I can't believe only one loose bolt would cause it to leak. I hope it is not more than that. I reused the same gasket but was hesitant as it was very stiff and there was only about an 1/8" amount of material around each bolt hole.

Is it also likely the gasket itself is worn out? If so is it ok to use the cheap one that comes with the filter or go to ford and get a proper reusable one?
Old 08-16-2005, 05:44 PM
Elder User

JOE-M is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes and yes. I believe this is what I would do. Use the cheap one.
Joe
No Door Dinger, Int Lts Off Swch,
4 WD Low to 2 WD Low Switch,
Extra Trans Cooler, Zoodad Mod,
Before coolers trans fltr,
Coolant fltr, Air horns
Old 08-16-2005, 07:14 PM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
I'd do it right and use a Heli-Coil. Not the cheapest way to do it, but the right way.

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 08-16-2005, 09:27 PM
Senior User

How do I figure out what size Heli-Coil to use? The bolt is 10mm (not sure of the thread count)
Old 08-16-2005, 09:33 PM
Post Fiend

Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
http://www.facebook.com/http://facebook.com/Kwikkordead#!/Kwikkordead
Quote:
Originally Posted by randle_ford
How do I figure out what size Heli-Coil to use? The bolt is 10mm (not sure of the thread count)
You mean 10mm head with a 6mm thread? If you go and ask for a 10mm bolt they'll come back with one about as big around as a cigarette. It's measured by thread diameter, not fastener diameter.
Personally I would just get a 7mm tap and bolt. A lot less metal is taken out of the casting that way and it will hold just fine.
2000 VW Passat 1.8t Tiptronic. ZZOOOOOMMMM!!!
You cannot explain or explain away the power of God.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:44 AM
Senior User

fedextech is starting off with a positive reputation.
another suggestion...does the bolt hole have any more threads deeper in the hole ? if so , run a "bottoming" tap in there to clean up the remaining threads and use a little longer cap screw...in some of the holes, they go all the way thru the case flange and you can put a nut on the backside. i would perfer to use the silicon reusable gasket, but it's your money. the pan bolts should be properly torque to prevent pulling the threads out and having leaks. hope this helps.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:37 AM
Senior User

roaky81 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm a Heli-coil man myself. The biggest reason to use a heli-coil and the original bolt is if someone else works on your tranny, their going to put that over-sized bolt in a different hole and now you'll have two bad threads. The only thing to be careful about is that there's enough "meat" to do the heli-coil.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:33 AM
Wrench Party Assistant

1996pwrstrk has a great reputation on FTE.1996pwrstrk has a great reputation on FTE.1996pwrstrk has a great reputation on FTE.1996pwrstrk has a great reputation on FTE.1996pwrstrk has a great reputation on FTE.
Wink

I have a busted bolt for the tranny pan it was that way when I bought it. Ihave changed the filter and fluid twice left the bolt alone no leaks.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:34 AM
Post Fiend

tjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to all
heli-coil it. they are strong than the stock and really easy to do. also with the gasket get the new one from ford. the cheap one with the filter WILL leak even if you fix the bolt. i am a mechanic and have ran into this a number of times. any time someone uses the cheap gasket it leaks. i even converted my 95 over to the reuseable gasket whick required grainding the pan to make it fit and i am leak free.

AD's, IC, Rear Disc, OBA, Tuned by Tony Built by me!

Transmission by Racer X!

Old 08-17-2005, 12:22 PM
Senior User

Mark250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you decide to retap, you will probably have to go to an 8mm. Nominal pitch is 1.25mm on a bolt you would find at a hardware store, etc. A fine-thread 1mm & 0.75mm pitch is also available. 7mm is an exotic size & would be very hard to find. I don't see a problem with doing this because there's no way you will get this bolt started in a 6mm hole. Would cause a little inconvenience for the next guy though. (will require a 13mm wrench).

2002 F-350 BFT Sport SC 4x4 SRW, black monochrome, 7.3, AIS & fender sleeve, Zoodad, 4" turbo-back, Hpx, In-tank pickup mods, Harpooned, 6.0 AND stock trans cooler, 2008 diff cover. Autometer ES gauges, DP Tuner with lots of tunes, 2010 Mariner Premier, 1999 Ranger XLT 4-banger
Old 08-17-2005, 01:50 PM
Senior User

Unless there is something very wrong with the Tranny I will be the only one touching it (e.g. fluid/filter changes, etc.). At this point I am investigating retapping at 8mm (which is indeed way more common and easier to find a bolt)
Old 08-17-2005, 01:50 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2000, 2005, bolt, bolts, f150, f350, ford, gasket, helicoil, hole, holes, oil, pan, spins, stripped, threads, transmission