Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Big Ford V10 and Tiny Tundra V8

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 08:28 PM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Big Ford V10 and Tiny Tundra V8

Yotas are great vehicles and I just bought a 94 Corolla for my Boy. We brought it private from a lady who bought it new. It has 65000 miles and is mint .It has Air and is an auto. Anyway my boy won't be getting his licence for awhile so I have been driving this little car all over and it gets 26 MPG versus 10 on my V10 and now that gas is 3.95 Can for a US gal this is a good savings for me. I haven't driven the truck for 4 days so I had the urge to take her out. Well let me tell you a Ford SD feels like a Cadillac after a Corolla.
Anyway I got a red light and I see this Tundra pulling up on my inside lane.
He stops a full truck length behind me. As the light gets ready to turn he starts rolling. I hit my tow haul button, put my left foot on the brake, and give Babe a few revs, not much,but enough. The Yota is rolling good when the light turns green but for an old guy I have not too bad of reflexes and when the light turns green , I launch Babe, and does she launch, The Yota was just a hair slow going WOT and even though he was rolling , I had him.
The tach hits 5200, you feel yourself shoved a little deeper into the leather as she upshifts nice and firm , 5000 RPM real quick and the little Yota is getting smaller in my rear view mirror. Yes Yotas make great vehicles but so does that great American Company .......Ford. God I love this truck.

Old 08-14-2005, 08:59 PM
captchas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wrench
you are not alone with that feeling and use of the tow haul botton for a race
, smoked another hemi kid driver this am. that makes 7 ram heads clay has to paint

Old 08-14-2005, 09:11 PM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
Charlie, Do you smoke those Hemis good or do they give you a good race. I have beaten lots of the older gasser Dodges and the Cummins are pretty slow off the line but I have not come up against a hemi yet. Some pretty small light Dodges around here with Hemi Badges and I wonder if my truck is too big and heavy to beat them. Babe is a big boned Gal with a lot of self confidence but she has a sensitive side too. If something as ugly as a new Dodge truck were to beat her, it would hurt her pride big time. I wouldn't like it much either. Take care and let's have a pic of Blue when you get those ram heads painted on.

Old 08-14-2005, 10:03 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrenchtraveller
God I love this truck.
I feel the love...

In my '01, I have yet to have a Hemi even get nose-to-nose. They roll up on the side, just enough to get a glimpse of the V10 emblem, and immediately stop ... darn it.

Tundra? I had one at a light with my 4.6L '97 Cougar ... Never mind, he must have been still breaking it in...

Old 08-14-2005, 11:22 PM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
Smile

Krewat, A 97 4.6 Cougar would probably move out pretty good. Did you ever read my story about my Dad pulling a Travel Trailer from Coast to Coast with his 97 Merc Marquis with a 4.6. That poor car was so overloaded, my mom packs everything, and 100 miles into the trip, the old boy had put her in low gear to pull an 8% grade. He is deaf and they have no tach so he was driving about 60 MPH in low range for quite a while because he forgot to put it back in Drive. He spun the pulley off the powersteering pump, it must have seized after over revving and of course , threw the belts, boiled her dry, and she went into that failsafe timing. Anyway, they got her towed in, power steering pump was available but a pully or sheive as we call it is something that rarely fails on a car and the car was pretty new at the time and the only one they could find was 1500 miles away so he was stranded for 5 days waiting for this pulley. They did the rest of that trip with no issues, went right over to Newfoundland and down the US Eastern Seaboard and back home to Vancouver Island,
That 4.6 never burned any oil and it was worked to death on that trip. They are a great motor. The kicker to that story was when dad got home and changed the oil, he reached into the plastic cowling under the rad and there was his pulley, good as new, just needed the broken shaft removed . Dad was 70 when he did that trip. He will be 79 next week and still drives him and Mom down to Yuma where they own a winter home. He just bought an 05 Ford Freestar Van and just loves it.

Last edited by Wrenchtraveller; 08-14-2005 at 11:25 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:41 AM
captchas
wrench truth is it's close with the ford about 1 to 1 1/2 lengths untill some how my road speed stop, stopped working then it got a liitle bit better.cubic inches still rule upstairs 415 to 357.
it's been all young show off kids so far except for dawn and she can drive hers being a nyc cop. we still meet 2 or 3 times a week only for coffe now as we both stop at the same place almost the same time. shes waiting for a 06 f350 v10 now.

Old 08-15-2005, 07:55 AM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
So Charlie, That is why you are putting headers on, That Lady cop's 06 V10 will no doubt create a bigger challange for big Blue. Take care.

Krewat , How long have you had your 01 V10 ? Did you buy her new and how many miles on her?

Old 08-15-2005, 10:19 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Krewat , How long have you had your 01 V10 ? Did you buy her new and how many miles on her?
I leased it brand-new in June of 2002, the truck's manufacture date is 10/2000, do the math and realize it was sitting on the lot for 1.5 years, with only 20 miles on it. The passenger-side door handle is faded much more than the driver's, can you tell which way it was parked for all that time?

It now has an astounding 20K miles on it... but has probably gulped 60K miles worth of fuel and air so far...

Reliable, powerfull, and has that wonderful "beat on me, I'll wake up" thing going on.

It apparently was a special order that they screwed up and the customer didn't want it.

It has ESOF, extended cab, short bed, 3.73 gears and "heavy-service suspension" ... I'm kinda thinking it was supposed to be a plow truck, but after receiving it, they realized "heavy-service suspension" wasn't good for a plow (voids the warranty).

So, I got a truck with T front springs, overload springs in the rear, and a V10. I put in a Hellwig rear sway bar, Rancho RS9000x's all around, and the darn thing picks up and hauls just as good as my '74 Highboy did with a screemin' 11:1 FE 390 and doesn't try to kill me with CO poisoning idling 15 feet away from the garage (yes, my '74 almost killed me once, it got to 650PPM CO in the garage - enough to kill in 45 minutes - and that was parked 15 feet away from the SIDE of the garage)...

I've recently switched to Warn Premium hubs, can't wait to find something I need 4x4LOW for without locking the hubs

Old 08-15-2005, 05:20 PM
captchas
Talking more then headers

So Charlie, That is why you are putting headers on, That Lady cop's 06 V10 will no doubt create a bigger challange for big Blue. Take care.
more then headers. add a tuner from webmaster and a very good working cold air kit from afe. it will also get a wipple charger from ford. that is when i can get the cash together