International Region Australia

How about one of those little stories about your truck?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 07:03 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
How about one of those little stories about your truck?

Everyone has had some little adventures with his truck/car, what about telling some of them?. I´ll post some of mines later.

Last edited by Encho; 08-13-2005 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:20 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It was late at night - somewhere in the appalacian mountains crossing over from Virginia to Tennessee. i have no idea why it did not seem to me earlier that I had a problem on the way.

Late at night, wheeling into a 24 hour store and gas stop. I checked, and the trans fluid was low. I topped it up, and thought no more about it.

Pulled out, with a trailer loaded with a station wagon behind me. Middle of the night, and the next gas stop way ahead, no services else anywhere around. A thing that had bothered me was a bad sound from the tranny - like a gear was "SPALLING".

Best I can describe it.

Over time, it came to be worse. It was only in top end at first, but as lower and lower gear ranges were required it came to be an expected complaint. The mountains continued, and so did I and the truck and trailer - a common U-Haul car hauler.

Once down in the flats, I forgot it all and thanked my merry blessings.

Until I was one half mile from home...

SPANG!
Wirrrrrrrr.......

One dead C5 transmission. In the middle of an intersection not a stones throw from home!

Cause?

A leaking fitting.

Old 08-16-2005, 01:41 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
About mi stories...

Well... here is one: When we (my two year older brother and i) where a lot younger (my Bronco had like a year then, it was brand new! ) whenever we went to a ranch our parents would borrow us the truck so we could begin learning/practicing how to drive (in the ranch private roads), so there we were, playing around with my idiotic brother on the wheel, he always drived way to fast, like he had something up the a**... well, we began climbing some little hill, at like 40mph on a dirt road (while i was telling him -slow down, you can´t see ahead)... what happens next? you wonder, well, the Bronco gets airborne and the other side of the hill was a lot lower so we begin to fall (slow motion all the way, believe me), until all you could see was dirt on the screen of the wind-shield... CRASH!!! the truck hitted the ground with the front bumper and almost turned over! then, the rear end hitted the ground... the truck at least was on her 4 tires, now lets make a review of the list of the damages:
- the front bumper went a little back
That was everything!, not a single scratch, we just used a log to put the bumper on it´s place and that was that! my parent never found out about our little adventure...

Old 08-17-2005, 09:19 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I recall a hill...
(I wonder how best to describe it...)

My father enjoyed showing us unexpected things at times... (!)

Coming up this hill, from the other way - one could see that there was a crest to it, and it rounded up over the top and was not, perhaps, so suprising. But in the other (otro) direction!!!

My Father took us on a sunday drive, we were in a 1953 Desoto. Its a tall car, and very rounded. Nice period styling...

We came to this place from the opposite way which was a very gradual rise, and we were only going about 30 kph. HIGH up on a hill, so that the stars surrounded us, and the city was spread out all around...

And then it seemed he was determined to drive us all off of a cliff!!!
(I'd like to remark also - that he slowed down and did this ever so perfectly...)

One could see the road on the two sides of the car, but especially from the back seat it looked like the road ended and dropped into an abyss!!! one could see a line beyond which things were appearing - it was the HORIZON, but it was right in front of the CAR!

It nosed over, and it seemed that we were all done for, but once the car had gotten past the abrupt down-turn in the road we could see the plunging road running a half mile or so down before us at a steep angle....

Everyone in the family had made DEEP finger indentations in the upholstery.

Mamma "Read him the Riot Act" for that performance....

I think I was about 8 years old at the time.

Last edited by Greywolf; 08-17-2005 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:14 AM
jcp123
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't owned my Bronco long enough to have any real stories...but here goes.

Got our riding mower stuck in the sandy soil here once. I just hooked it up to the Bronco and idled it out of the 6 inch deep depression it had made in the sand, and then up a 2 ft embankment next to our driveway. Like it was never even there.