P0171 & P0174 close b/n cigar

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 01:49 PM
laddti
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0171 & P0174 close b/n cigar

Well I am lost??? This is the third time these problem codes have come up on my Expedition. The engine is a 5.4L all stock, 155k miles. No problems except a periodic P0171 & P0174 along wiht the occasional coil pack problem.

Anyway, I have been reading alot of posts that are similar yet also different. Like I said, this is the third time for these codes in about 4 years.
The OBD computer says P0171 solenoid bank 1, and P0174 control solenoid bank 2. The vehicle drives fine until you come to a stop where is will lope and sometimes stall. I also notice decreased power during excelleration. Both accur occasionally, not all the time. When I run it in the drive idleing, you can here an incredible hissing sound coming from the intake manifold/ throttle body area. The idle in higher than normal in this condition. Checked a few hoses seemed fine, noticed some dirk residue under the throttle body towards the front between the union with the intake manifold.

What could it be? Read a chat about cleaning the throttle body and IAC. Might give this a try first.

Any ideas would be appreciated?

Old 08-13-2005, 12:06 AM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Welcome to the forum
I would start by cleaning the MAF. There is some good infor in the READ FIRST FAQ thread in the 97-03 forum. I would also check the PCV hose elbows. Especially the one that is connected to the rear of the intake manifold. They are known to crack and cause a vacuum leak.
Your codes show that it is running lean on both banks.

Old 08-13-2005, 08:22 PM
smits03
Junior User
I had the same codes on my 99 f-150 5.4 ended up being a vaccum leak on the back left side of the intake manifold. you have to remove the plastic cover to get to it.

Old 08-13-2005, 09:09 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Yup, clean the MAF and then check for vacuum leaks.

Old 08-13-2005, 09:37 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Cheap fix for the leak is to use a rubber boot from a old style coil wire, it will fit just right where the old one goes , just follow the tube from PCV valve to the back of the engine

Old 08-24-2005, 04:37 AM
rgrayson
New User
Smile P0171 and P0174 Codes

Originally Posted by laddti
Well I am lost??? This is the third time these problem codes have come up on my Expedition. The engine is a 5.4L all stock, 155k miles. No problems except a periodic P0171 & P0174 along wiht the occasional coil pack problem.

Anyway, I have been reading alot of posts that are similar yet also different. Like I said, this is the third time for these codes in about 4 years.
The OBD computer says P0171 solenoid bank 1, and P0174 control solenoid bank 2. The vehicle drives fine until you come to a stop where is will lope and sometimes stall. I also notice decreased power during excelleration. Both accur occasionally, not all the time. When I run it in the drive idleing, you can here an incredible hissing sound coming from the intake manifold/ throttle body area. The idle in higher than normal in this condition. Checked a few hoses seemed fine, noticed some dirk residue under the throttle body towards the front between the union with the intake manifold.

What could it be? Read a chat about cleaning the throttle body and IAC. Might give this a try first.

Any ideas would be appreciated?
Hello, check the DPFE sensor on the driver's side of the throttle body, it has two vacuum hoses, one is Reference, the small hose, I'll bet the sensor is corroded with white deposits, change it (it costs $51 at Auto Zone). I had the same problem with a 97 Explorer only then I had a code relating to EGR function. It should fix the problem.

Reggie Grayson