General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Putting your dog to sleep...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 01:18 PM
Bruker
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Putting your dog to sleep...

We just found out last week that our family pet for the last six years has bladder cancer. The vet said she has another three weeks to three months before she'll start to suffer. We are not looking forward to this and I was wondering if anyone here has ever gone through this and were you with your pet when they were put to sleep?

Old 08-08-2005, 01:31 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
I went through it. I don't know what you'll hear from me or anyone else that you don't already know. It's painful but you know it's the right thing to do in your heart.

Old 08-08-2005, 01:34 PM
DT 466Man
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have, our lab/blue healer mix that showed up on our porch one day when i was 9 or so.

found out she had a brain tumer, and she started getting crazy and attacking our king sheppard, then my mom, that was the last straw.... dad took her out back and boom... she was suffering and the vet said she only had a few weeks left, she would whine and whine, so my dad took care of it.

I was sad for a while... she was a great dog, but i figure it was better that way.

DT

Old 08-08-2005, 02:36 PM
dumptech
Elder User
Just lost my dog a few weeks ago. I knew she was going because she had stopped eating and started loosing weight. I decided to keep an eye on her and take her in if she appeared to be in pain. On what turned out to be her last day, we were pretty sure she was going. We made comfortable, hung out in the yard with her and let her know that she was a good dog. We checked on her periodicaly throughout the afternoon. I went to check on her later on and found that she had died. It's tough to say goodby to a loyal friend.

Old 08-08-2005, 02:37 PM
351Bronco
Senior User
Yes, it is very tough. A dog, or most any pet, is like a member of the family. It is the best thing to do, to keep the animal from suffering. I have had several barn cats that have been hit. Many of them we have had to put down the rest of the way. It isn't fun, and it seems like the hardest thing you have ever done, digging that hole in the ground, when you know what is going in it.

Old 08-08-2005, 03:20 PM
RedStroker6
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
i know i dig one hell of a hole. good luck with your dog.

Old 08-08-2005, 03:45 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
I was not there when they put my last cat to sleep, because I WAS there when they put down the previous one. I will spare you the details, but it is NOT something you want to watch. Say goodbye to your best friend, then let the professionals do their job after you've left the room. Trust me on this.

Old 08-08-2005, 03:53 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1956MarkII
I was not there when they put my last cat to sleep, because I WAS there when they put down the previous one. I will spare you the details, but it is NOT something you want to watch. Say goodbye to your best friend, then let the professionals do their job after you've left the room. Trust me on this.
When I had to have my cat JAC (Just A Cat) put down, the vet gave him a shot, which he didn't seem to feel, he closed his eyes and that was it. Same with my dog.
Dono

Old 08-08-2005, 03:55 PM
WildOneCraig
Senior User
Sorry to hear the bad news.
It is always a painfull day. I have experienced more than a few in my time.

Old 08-08-2005, 04:04 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
We put our dog of 14 yrs to sleep last december. It sucked

Old 08-08-2005, 04:09 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Dang, that is sad news. Sorry to hear that. Don't let yer dog get to the point of suffering. Spoil it and cherish every moment you've got left. I would hate to loose my beagle. As far as I'm concerned she is family. She sleeps in the same bed with us and loves riding in my truck with me and we enjoy each others company as we romp through the local fields for exercise. I remember someone having a thread like this started last year, and one of the guys knew his time was gonna be short with his dog so they took a trip along the coast together in his pick up truck for a few days and he mentioned sharing hamburgers with his dog and cherishing every last moment they had together. I'll be darned if that don't make my eyes cloud up.

Old 08-08-2005, 04:19 PM
RedStroker6
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
yup. shoot, when my gal left back for oregon, she had tears just leaving my dog, and the dog is fine. pets are the best. gotta love 'em

Old 08-08-2005, 04:31 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by dono
When I had to have my cat JAC (Just A Cat) put down, the vet gave him a shot, which he didn't seem to feel, he closed his eyes and that was it...
Maybe different animals have different reactions, and maybe there are different drugs/ chemicals used. What I saw was anything BUT just "going to sleep." That was 1986 and I can still see it, clear as day. I wish I could forget it.

Old 08-08-2005, 04:41 PM
Schmids4.9l
Posting Guru
my dog had to be put to sleep. I'm pretty sure it was from age, i think she was 13 human years old. she was half collie, half german shepard.

Old 08-08-2005, 05:57 PM
4.6Ranger
Senior User
Pets

Yea I had to put my rabbit down. Had it for 11 years. Its definitly hard
but it is the best thing to do if its suffering. I am with Jeff on this one
Say goodbye and let the vet do the rest. My vet was pretty cool about
it. A week later I got a clay disc with a paw print in it. Another Idea
get another dog puppy whatever before it goes. Makes it that much easier

Quick Reply: Putting your dog to sleep...