New York Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: tiny1

Getting into towing

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 11:02 AM
harley51185
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Getting into towing

Call me crazy if you will, but Im a female trying to get into the towing industry to help support myself while finishing up college. I already know that I need a towing endorsement on my license, but in order to get the endorsement, I need to take a road test in a tow truck. Does anyone know where I can get a tow truck to practice on (IE a school)? Also, is there any good way of getting my foot in the door of this industry? Any help would be appreciated, as I have absolutely no one who can advise me.

Old 08-06-2005, 10:14 AM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
I would try approaching some towing companies and see if they wouldn't be willing to sponsor you. Possibly they would be willing to hire you to do other work around the shop until you pass your endorsement and then tow for them. They might also be able to direct you to a school or a better way of approaching this. I know it might be tough finding someone to hire you, but if I was a tow truck operator I wouldn't want to be lending my rig to someone to practice on unless I was going to hire you. Those rigs are expensive and the insurance on them is nuts.

Good luck to you and let us know how you make out with it. By the way, what are you majoring in college?

Old 08-06-2005, 10:57 AM
harley51185
Freshman User
As it turns out, I misinterpreted the information on DMV's website. I actually don't have to take a road test, just a written test. So right now I'm studying for the test, and hopefully I'll pass it soon. Ronin007, thanks for the advice, I'll look into towing companies around here, see if one would be kind enough to train me on a truck once I get my endorsement.

Im studying Business Management and Finance, as I hope to open up a diesel repair shop sometime in the future (I'm planning on going to trade school for diesel repair after I finish up college).

Old 08-06-2005, 11:39 AM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Good luck on the test and getting a job with a towing company. Where are you planning on going to school for diesel repair? I have talked to a couple of people who went through WyoTech that set them up well after graduation. However you do it, I wish you luck. Owning and running your own shop is tough, but can be very rewarding as well.

Old 08-11-2005, 09:49 PM
harley51185
Freshman User
Wyotech is the school that I will most likely be attending. The only problem is that the only campus that offers diesel mechanics is the Wyoming campus. I've done as much research as I can on the school as I can (I keep asking them to contact me but no one has done so as of yet). I have heard that it is quite expensive, but if their reputation is true, it is well worth every penny.

Old 08-11-2005, 10:58 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Wyotech has a very high placement rate for their graduates and Wyoming is beautiful. I have been out there a couple of times and liked it a lot. If you are not having any luck with getting info directly from Wyotech trying emailing Jessi Combs from Xtreme4X4 on the PowerBlock TV forums. She is a graduate of Wyotech and might be willing to help out. Couldn't hurt. Good luck to you.