N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Fresno A/C

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 01:21 PM
ejbaumruk
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fresno A/C

My AC went out on my '79 F150 a while ago and it's too hot to deal without one. Lately every mechanic I've tried in Fresno has absolutely taken advantage of me being a girl and "not knowing anything." If anyone knows of a good AC mechanic, I'd love to hear about them. I don't mind paying a little extra if the work is good. Thanks!

Old 08-04-2005, 06:34 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you get taken advantage of while trying to get your ac fixed? It is probably a simple recharge that it needs. Post your symptoms and maybe someone can diagnos it for you. Also, post on the 73 through 79 boards as well. There are a lot of smart folks over there, who can help you to diagnos your problem so you can go to the mechanic more prepared with information. Also, before you let them turn a wrench on your truck, you can post what they said and we can determine if there answer makes sense.
I wish I could offer a suggestion for an honest mechanic but I am clear on the other side of the Sierra's
Good Luck, Tim

Old 08-04-2005, 06:36 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Good luck, but don't think they are taking advantage of you because you are a girl - Fresno AC mechanics "take advantage" of everyone - even me. I have never found anyone I would return to.

If you find anyone who treats you fair, please post his name. I have three vehicles that need attention in the AC department!

Old 08-04-2005, 09:06 PM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
It's been darn near 8 years since I was living in Hanford. The guys at this shop were awesome. I took my friends 89 Ford tempo in for ac work and they did a fantastic job. Decent price too.

Handford Radioator and Automotive

Not sure of the exact address but they are on 10th ave in Hanford.

Old 08-06-2005, 12:30 PM
ejbaumruk
New User
Well, here is what it's doing: when I turn it to AC and turn it on, it starts blowing out warm air. Not as warm as the heater blows, but still warm. And when I switch from heater to AC I hear it click on. I was just driving one day with the AC blowing cold as ever and it just started blowing warm air in a second.

Old 08-06-2005, 10:40 PM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
It sure sounds like all it needs is a re-charge. All your getting is the air from the engine compartment coming in. Does the compressor feel cold after running the AC for awhile?

Old 10-22-2005, 10:04 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Bad AC

Wow, it could be just a fuse or a belt, or the AC clutch. These our little thing you could check.Your system just goes from cold to warm unless the pressure got to high and blew out a line,should be oil agound engine area.
To check the clutch Ac unit start the engine turn on the ac and listen for a click and the engine may drop in rpm idling. If does the clutch should be working. Now look at the ac compressor. Is there a belt on it, if yes is the middel part of the pulley turning it should be.. With engine off check that the hot wire to the compressor is getting 12 volts if not check the fuse. If good run a jumper hot wire from the batt. to it and it should then make a click sound and engage the clutch so you know that part works. If it has lost just freon the systen may have a high & low pressure switch and you'll have to bypass it so that the clutch will work. You can make one from a paper clip. This may all be way over your head but there our books there's info on the net of how to do this type of stuff. Hope this helped you in some way. My 2 cents
orich

Old 10-23-2005, 12:05 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
orich, don't hold your breath i do not think this member will be coming back. it has been 2 months.

Old 10-23-2005, 08:43 AM
orich
Lead Driver
Flue the coop

Like like a WN ..Well someone may get some good info from it anyway

Old 10-23-2005, 11:50 PM
ejbaumruk
New User
It's taken forever, but...

I've found a great place. It's called Air Tech, and the guys at the 4 Wheel Parts store referred me to him. I dealt with a guy by the name of Jeremy Day, and he was awesome. I got my AC fixed about 3 weeks ago. It turned out to be the AC switch, which the only original part he found available was in Tennessee, I believe. He said it'd take about a week to get the part in, but it only took about 2 days, which was great. He was really well priced, and very good to deal with. I've even had him refer me to a shop to get a tune up at and also a smog shop. Air Tech is at 1559 E Fairmont (Right south of Shaw off of Blackstone), #559-227-2024. Thanks for all your help, everyone, and if you need AC repair in Fresno, this guy's great!

-Emily

Old 10-24-2005, 01:07 AM
smiller4597
Senior User
Pretty funny huh ford390gashog!!! Shes back!

Old 10-24-2005, 08:12 AM
orich
Lead Driver
Ahhh,like a WN